May 23, 2024, 06:31:42 AM

1,531,628 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Nintendo Switch Discussion

Started by Hiro, October 20, 2016, 01:05:58 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Daddy

Daddy

Hiro

Quote from: C.Mongler on October 20, 2016, 02:24:40 PM
its not going to be nearly on par with a vanilla bone/ps4 honestly. in fact it might even be slightly less capable than a wii u tbh

[youtube]9XzIZWO1qdg[/youtube]

which i personally think is fine, since for a handheld/tablet, it's still pretty damn great looking. it's possible the dock provides extra power or cooling which might crank up it's gpu a tad, but it's not going to drastically change anything honestly. but like you said, i think nintendo has thrown their towel in for the console race. they know people have adopted their "next gen" console of choice at this point, their competitors are already releasing 'upgrade' consoles, they dont really have a cart in the race. so they're focusing on the handheld market now, which who knows how that will go
I wouldn't say they're dropping the console market to focus on handhelds. In fact, this is more of a console than a traditional handheld. I'd say they're more targeting a different category entirely. This is supposed to be more like a gaming tablet, a third option akin to where tablets lie vs computers and smartphones. Nobody expects their tablet to be as powerful as their desktop, but it' still doing some impressive things here. Also while that graphic comparison shown is good, this will probably not be the X1 straight up, but likely a new optimized chip based on it. Plus as we know gaming systems do more with less hardware compared to computers & smartphones, so I think they'll probably get just a little more out of this. I don't expect it to have all the particle effects, but if they can run similar-looking games or get ports of PS4/xbone games that aren't dumbed down aside from a slight graphical downgrade, that's pretty fucking great.

Quote from: Big Goop on October 20, 2016, 02:31:41 PM
The only two things I have to say about this thing really are

-The controller is kinda ass. I'll see myself using the "Pro" variant that they showed a bit.

-The fact that it's carts just handicaps them even more in keeping up with Sony and Msft.
But if it's like C. Mongler said, and they are just kind of assuming the handheld market thing, then I guess it's fine.

But it just makes me wonder if they put something huge on this thing, like the next bethesda game or something, will they have to do multi-cart releases?

Coming soon: Elder Scrolls 6, on 3 Switch carts!
dude solid storage has caught up to if not surpassed discs at this point, ps4/xbone discs only hold ~50gb, and 64gb microsd cards have been fairly cheap for some time now. this isn't 2004 anymore.

TooB

yeah, well, I'm not super familiar with tech specs like this, so....
not to mention that I already acknowledged my misinformation with mongler.

also, I wonder how long battery life on this thing will be when in handheld mode.

Hopefully longer than the Wii U gamepad's 2 hours

squirrelfriend

i think it's good that the dock covers the screen because they know it'll collect dust like the wii i haven't touched in ten years

Daddy

Quote from: squirrelfriend on October 20, 2016, 05:43:07 PM
i think it's good that the dock covers the screen because they know it'll collect dust like the wii i haven't touched in ten years
So you're saying you haven't touched your wii (lol) since a month before it came out?

squirrelfriend

October 20, 2016, 06:15:45 PM #36 Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 06:24:19 PM by squirrelfriend
Quote from: Khadafi on October 20, 2016, 06:12:36 PM
Quote from: squirrelfriend on October 20, 2016, 05:43:07 PM
So you're saying you haven't touched your wii (lol) since a month before it came out?
just under ten years.
better?
that was 2006 level felt pedantry

strongbad

hmm interesting idea. the split screen with "one console" on the go is kind of neat. i probably won't get one though

also lol splatoon as an esport

squirrelfriend

does it have touch screen or touchpad functionality though

strongbad

Quote from: C.Mongler on October 20, 2016, 07:18:23 AM
HOPEFULLY I CAN MAKE THIS POST, THANKS BOYAH

i'm intrigued, but i dunno how much mainstream appeal this will have. it seems to be 90% what i expected, though the stand seems a little, weird? like it just looks kind of awkward, not sure what the benefit of a screen-covering cradle is over what they have now with the wii u; i'm sure there's some sort of technical reason (or not, it's nintendo). the multiplayer stuff seems really cool honestly, kind of hearkens back to the OG wii days in my mind; if they built a good marketing campaign around that this time around they might actually be able to sell a couple of these. it'd be sick to whip this shit out at this casual bar me and my buds meet up at sometimes and play some mario kart or whatever

bringing this to a bar would actually be super cool. also skeptical of the battery life

6M69I69B9

tbh not sure if ill get one

maybe if smash is updated

though i need other reasons too
Quote from: Travis on April 03, 2015, 10:52:52 PM
gotta eat the booty like groceries

Quote from: Travis on March 01, 2018, 08:44:39 PM
Quote from: reefer on March 01, 2018, 06:15:08 PM
Technology and globalism go hand and hand. If you want to be on the forefront of technology then you gotta be global

the earth is flat you globecuck

strongbad

if melee hd did happen to be a thing this would be a sweet platform for it tbh

Daddy

>tfw nintendo implies they'll have any game that will be a crow drawing esport

>tfw the closest they'll get are smelly college boys playing melee (sry gingadave)

rdl

wow they just announced melee heich dee are you serious right now nintendo

hype

bluaki

My biggest personal concern with Switch is storage space, since I like digital games now.

PS4/Xbone have 500~1000GB hard drives, but that can't work in a handheld like Switch. Wii U supports external hard drives, but that doesn't make sense in a handheld. I'm not sure if any SD card can hold the entire library of Switch games I'll ever own, considering single Wii U games can be like 20GB. I doubt the dock will let you use USB hard drives.

Hopefully they at least break free of 3DS's 32GB SD card size limit akudood;

Other than that I like this system so far. I guess I'm satisfied enough with modern mobile GPU performance (this is a huge leap from 3DS) that I don't too much mind Nintendo exclusively limiting themselves to that now as long as the Pro Controller is good. I'll still prefer PS4 for multi-platform games.

I still can't tell which version of Zelda BotW will be better for exclusively TV use.

Go Up