May 23, 2024, 07:14:10 AM

1,531,628 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Nintendo Switch Discussion

Started by Hiro, October 20, 2016, 01:05:58 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

squirrelfriend

yeah, why are you assuming that i have a dick or only a dick

C.Mongler

squirrelfriend

your pronouncement that i identify as an inanimate object (your words: "toaster") is distinct from a gender identity

C.Mongler

squirrelfriend

C.Mongler

squirrelfriend

again, please don't call people toasters unless they proclaim themselves as one

rdl

can you two stop shitting up a perfectly good thread

thanks

squirrelfriend

cmongler had to interject about one's genitalia and i felt i had to comment
this is not an antagonizing space. please follow the house rules. degenderize your mind.

C.Mongler

hey i needed the quota, you guys make it easy

squirrelfriend

that's what the election thread is for

Hyper

Love the shit out of the 3ds and vita. Really excited for this

bluaki

I found this picture:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

If you zoom in pretty far, you can see a USB port on the middle of the bottom edge, right in between two small holes that probably help it line up with nubs in the dock. I think it looks like USB-C, but it's hard to tell between Type-C and Micro at this awful lighting+resolution+angle. It's definitely not MiniUSB, MicroUSB3.0, or anything like the charging connectors they used for 3DS or GamePad.

It doesn't look like there are any exposed metal contacts on the bottom or back of the console, so this is probably the docking connector. I don't know how I feel about docking in a stand with a USB connector sticking out of it, but if it's USB-C at least they're doing it with one of the most durable mating connectors. USB-C would perfectly explain how they deal with HDMI 1.4 video output, charging, and USB host (2+ USB-A) simultaneously on one port. This also means you can use the same charger on-the-go for Switch as you might have for Android phones or Mac/Chome/Dell/HP laptops.

Docks are more likely to have incompatible video standards, but you might be able to use Switch with existing docks meant for Macbooks and other laptops (including this expensive $130 thing that I already own). I'd expect Nintendo's simpler dock, if sold on its own, will MSRP at more like $50~60 and of course mass-produce at more like a third of that price.

USB-C is for now still a moderately uncommon port compared to MicroUSB, but by the middle of Switch's lifespan I'm sure it'll be harder to find any new laptop or Android phone that doesn't use it.

Go Up