June 30, 2024, 11:51:40 AM

1,531,274 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

S-sony new console extravaganza

Started by ME##, February 19, 2013, 04:31:00 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Snowy

Quote from: Far Beyond Repair on February 22, 2013, 02:40:51 PM
And so you feel justified in treating other people this way even though you despise being treated like this?
Treat me how you want to be treated

Hiro

Snowy

Quote from: Snack Dad on February 22, 2013, 02:50:53 PM
he did, you didn't  doodhuh;
yes, I love being treated as a child

wow hiro you really know me so well

don't let's

Nyerp

Hiro

Quote from: Snowy on February 22, 2013, 02:52:32 PM
yes, I love being treated as a child

wow hiro you really know me so well
then don't act like a child, i'm typically pretty nice to you but you're being mean to lote when he didn't do anything goonish

bluaki

So, the digital incompatibility is only because PS4 simply can't play software built for PS3, right?
What about purchased PS1/PS2 content or PS3 games that might get non-enhanced ports?

ME##

Quote from: http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/21/4013130/ps4-psn-backwards-compatibility-gaikai-cloudWhen asked if the aforementioned "cloud services" could work with your existing PSN library, recognizing your previous purchases and making those experiences available on the otherwise-incompatible PS4, Yoshida said, "We could do so if we choose to. We know who purchased what as a record. But we are working on service plans and we haven't decided."

i'm sorry if i misunderstood the question lol >.<

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Snack Dad on February 22, 2013, 02:44:58 PM
they're completely different machines, only similar in branding

the average consumer doesn't know and could not possibly care less about the inner working of their consoles, all they'll see is that for some reason their upgraded playstation won't be compatible with older digital playstation software in a world where:

-upgrading one's phone comes with the expectation of being able to transfer all of their old apps over to the new one
-upgrading one's tablet [...]
-upgrading one's pc [...]
-upgrading one's wii [...]
-upgrading one's ds [...]
-upgrading one's playstation handheld, even [...]
-likely, upgrading one's xbox [...]

and so on

who would buy an iphone knowing that every new iteration of the device would require them to either repurchase or simply do without every single one of their old apps (unless they actually use the old phone, in which case why even buy a new one) because of supposed 'hardware incompatibility issues' that they could not be less concerned with

And yet for some reason, the PS4 is the only machine that couldn't meet such a basic expectation of modern entertainment devices. awdood;

don't let's

Quote from: Dovydas on February 22, 2013, 05:15:22 PM
i'm sorry if i misunderstood the question lol >.<
So basically they can do it but they're still figuring out if they can get away with charging for it in some way

ME##

Quote from: Far Beyond Repair on February 22, 2013, 06:06:34 PM
So basically they can do it but they're still figuring out if they can get away with charging for it in some way
pretty much, probably this cloud streaming will be bundled with ps+

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: HumuHumu...Tec on February 19, 2013, 05:14:08 PM
what i actually expect:

-no drastic restrictions on used games immediately, but gradually we will see more baby steps a la the online pass
-no drastic increases in drm in general, but eventually we'll see more and more games which require a persistent online connection, require an activation code, etc.
-no major change in msrp of games

all confirmed

http://bgr.com/2013/02/21/playstation-4-used-games-339174/
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-21-playstation-4-does-not-require-an-internet-connection
http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/22/4017168/ps4-games-priced-between-0-99-and-60

and now the very last thing is the price of the console itself

Thyme

sorry tec i'm gonna have to be a huge lote and tell you you care way too much about this

bluaki

February 22, 2013, 07:29:27 PM #208 Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 07:34:50 PM by bluaki
Quote from: HumuHumu...Tec on February 22, 2013, 05:25:03 PM
-upgrading one's phone comes with the expectation of being able to transfer all of their old apps over to the new one
-upgrading one's tablet [...]
-upgrading one's pc [...]
-upgrading one's wii [...]
-upgrading one's ds [...]
Does Apple really grant the expectation to transfer all apps across devices and keep purchases when a device is lost?
I might not be especially familiar with it, but with what I've used of iOS and iTunes, it seems set up in some confusing way that unreliably may or may not keep track of which items you have purchased in a record which may or may not be consistent across Apple servers and your computer and iDevice.

For PC, Microsoft seems to be trying to prevent exactly that with their own software: Office 2013 changed the licensing scheme such that you only can install your copy on one computer exactly one time and it won't work if you reinstall Windows on that computer or move to another machine. Plenty of other things have similar DRM.

Nintendo actually keeps track of Wii and DS(i) digital purchases now? I might not have a 3DS nor Wii U, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't seem to associate 7th gen purchases with any sort of account outside of redeeming Club Nintendo coins. Also, there's plenty of Wii save data which they prohibit moving or copying from the original device.

Commander Fuckass

lol oh god
snowy needs a break from the internet for a looooooooooooong while.

anyway has sony stated when they're going to reveal what the console looks like  akudood;
http://psnprofiles.com/TheMaysian][/URL]3DS Friend Code: 5086-5790-7151

Go Up