July 02, 2024, 08:51:18 AM

1,531,274 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

S-sony new console extravaganza

Started by ME##, February 19, 2013, 04:31:00 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Kalahari Inkantation

March 30, 2013, 02:55:11 AM #225 Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 03:12:15 AM by HumuHumu...Tec
Quote from: bluaki on March 29, 2013, 11:51:06 PM
Why would sony order the buttons X, O, triangle, square? I thought O is more of a 'first' button in Japan than X.

i wish they'd fix this problem

and all they'd have to do to make it as painless a transition as possible for both japan and the west is switch the current positions of the x and o buttons (as opposed to forcing one over to the other's standard)

Hiro

Quote from: HumuHumu...Tec on March 30, 2013, 02:55:11 AM
i wish they'd fix this problem

and all they'd have to do to make it as painless a transition as possible for both japan and the west is switch the current positions of the x and o buttons (as opposed to forcing one over to the other's standard)
that wouldn't help any, because the japanese think of a circle as being a "confirm" kind of symbol, like a "yes" and x as a "no", while americans think of the x as selecting, like crosshairs, and a circle as nothing in particular. Plus for americans the button on the bottom is the main select button, while for japanese it's the first button on the right.

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Snack Dad on March 30, 2013, 03:14:23 AM
that wouldn't help any, because the japanese think of a circle as being a "confirm" kind of symbol, like a "yes" and x as a "no", while americans think of the x as selecting, like crosshairs, and a circle as nothing in particular. Plus for americans the button on the bottom is the main select button, while for japanese it's the first button on the right.

i know, and that's what i mean

if they were to place o in the position of x and x in the position of o, it would solve virtually all of those problems (o would no longer be the first button on the right, but that's not exactly the most difficult change to get accustomed to lol)

bluaki

Quote from: Snack Dad on March 30, 2013, 03:14:23 AM
Plus for americans the button on the bottom is the main select button, while for japanese it's the first button on the right.
Nintendo leaves A on the right and it's always worked for them in all regions.

Sega's Dreamcast also placed A on the bottom and I don't think the intention for that was related to catering for American audiences.

Hiro

Quote from: bluaki on March 30, 2013, 08:42:56 AM
Nintendo leaves A on the right and it's always worked for them in all regions.

Sega's Dreamcast also placed A on the bottom and I don't think the intention for that was related to catering for American audiences.
well the only times nintendo has had a button layout where a would be on the left from what i can recall is the snes and DS, and in both cases neither button stands out to me although i do remember being confused on rare occasions as a kid on where A was vs B.

Quote from: HumuHumu...Tec on March 30, 2013, 03:34:46 AM
i know, and that's what i mean

if they were to place o in the position of x and x in the position of o, it would solve virtually all of those problems (o would no longer be the first button on the right, but that's not exactly the most difficult change to get accustomed to lol)
i'm not really understanding you i guess, since currently, for americans X is the "main" button and in the accustomed position, while in japan O is the "main" button and in the accustomed position

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Snack Dad on March 30, 2013, 05:28:18 PM
i'm not really understanding you i guess, since currently, for americans X is the "main" button and in the accustomed position, while in japan O is the "main" button and in the accustomed position

i mean put o in america's accustomed position and vice versa

[spoiler][/spoiler]

it would put everyone on the same standard so long as developers played along

Classic

Why does the new controller look so kinky?

Hiro

Quote from: HumuHumu...Tec on March 30, 2013, 05:39:09 PM
i mean put o in america's accustomed position and vice versa

[spoiler][/spoiler]

it would put everyone on the same standard so long as developers played along
so the american layout and the japanese layout would both look like that? so to select, americans would use the red x and japanese would use that too? or they both use the blue circle??? i really don't get it lol
i feel like this would cause more issues than it solves  akudood;

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Snack Dad on March 30, 2013, 06:50:14 PM
so the american layout and the japanese layout would both look like that? so to select, americans would use the red x and japanese would use that too? or they both use the blue circle??? i really don't get it lol
i feel like this would cause more issues than it solves  akudood;

they'd both use circle to confirm and x to deny

Hiro

okay but the japanese don't want that position for circle, and americans (i have no idea how they'd react lol, i guess they'd use it correctly)
also i don't get why the two symbols had to change colors really

ME##

he swaped the colours so it matched up with the logic behind having blue be player 1, red player 2 etc

don't let's

Nyerp

x is confirm............im afraid of change

bluaki

On a vaguely related note, when they were playing a couple japanese PS3 games today (project diva and gundam), some people in my anime club got confused over the X/O button swap sillydood;

Go Up