July 08, 2024, 06:35:16 AM

1,531,276 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Which of the major aspects of a game is most important?

Started by Kalahari Inkantation, August 07, 2011, 09:25:53 AM

previous topic - next topic

goodjob;

Graphics
1 (9.1%)
Gameplay
10 (90.9%)
Music (:'()
0 (0%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Go Down

Kalahari Inkantation

Nyerp

Quote from: Tectrika on August 07, 2011, 05:38:05 PM
anything else like what befuddlement

items, balls, other options????????????

Quote from: Tectrika on August 07, 2011, 05:37:29 PM
that's so much menu navigation and probably the type of game i'd avoid at all costs >.<

But I think Nintendo's turn-based RPGs, at the very least, could benefit from eliminating menus as there typically isn't a wide variety of attacks to choose from anyway. goowan

you realize most jrpgs have a feature that lets the menu memorize where you last were right?

and no, no they wouldn't; it would really just serve to make the gameplay less intuitive overall and more frustrating

i now realize that people like you are the reason why super paper mario was made

i hate you :)

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Nyerp on August 07, 2011, 05:41:05 PM
items, balls, other options????????????

i'm just talking about attacks

Menus are perfectly acceptable for items and whatnot. n_u

you realize most jrpgs have a feature that lets the menu memorize where you last were right?

and no, no they wouldn't; it would really just serve to make the gameplay less intuitive overall and more frustrating

i now realize that people like you are the reason why super paper mario was made

i'm not arguing against the turn-based aspect of the games, just the usage of menus to select attacks

I understand that some games need to be turn-based, and I have no problem with that, but I don't understand the need for menus to select attacks unless there's a really huge number of attacks to choose from. myface;

i hate you :)

:'(

Thyme

Honestly, I wouldn't want to play a game like that.

Andria

Quote from: Thyme on August 07, 2011, 05:51:23 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't want to play a game like that.

Yeah I think that would be reason enough for me to skip over laying a game

Kalahari Inkantation

but most games are like that (attacks mapped to buttons, everything else in menus), the only difference is that these would still be turn-based :'(

Thyme

Quote from: Tectrika on August 07, 2011, 05:54:58 PM
but most games are like that (attacks mapped to buttons, everything else in menus), the only difference is that these would still be turn-based :'(

big-ass difference

Commander Fuckass

http://psnprofiles.com/TheMaysian][/URL]3DS Friend Code: 5086-5790-7151

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Thyme on August 07, 2011, 05:56:05 PM
big-ass difference

which is what :'(

I just don't understand why developers would treat attacks as secondary features during RPG battles when in most cases they're necessary at all times and immediate access to them (via buttons) would simplify things.  Healing items and such aren't always necessary and I wouldn't object to them being placed in a menu, but immediately necessary attacks don't need to be tucked away in menus. :'(

Even if an RPG has so many attacks that it'd be impossible to map them all to buttons, a handful that are used most often could be mapped to buttons with the more specific ones that aren't used as frequently available in menus. :'(

Nyerp

having a mish-mash game design of button commands and menu commands is honestly just messy and overly complicated

deal w/ it

Nyerp

Quote from: Thyme on August 07, 2011, 06:19:03 PM
stop it tec you're hurting yourself over this :'(

if you look at the food thread like that then tec is long dead goowan

Thyme

Quote from: Nyerp on August 07, 2011, 06:21:09 PM
if you look at the food thread like that then tec is long dead goowan

hearty laughs were had goowan

Samus Aran

final say:

tec is overly picky and demands too much and obviously simply hasn't really given rpgs an actual chance

the end :)

Kalahari Inkantation

oh god lol goowan

But seriously, in turn-based RPGs, especially those with few attacks like Nintendo's, why couldn't common attacks be mapped to buttons and everything else that's not immediately necessary be left in menus? :(

Go Up