July 05, 2024, 07:21:24 AM

1,531,274 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Which of the major aspects of a game is most important?

Started by Kalahari Inkantation, August 07, 2011, 09:25:53 AM

previous topic - next topic

goodjob;

Graphics
1 (9.1%)
Gameplay
10 (90.9%)
Music (:'()
0 (0%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Go Down

Samus Aran

Quote from: Tectrika on August 07, 2011, 04:57:34 PM
i think what actually puts me off is menu navigation lol

modern turn-based games don't need to rely on menus, actions could easily be mapped to buttons >.<

well, you could TRY an action rpg if you want

but i am not well versed in them other than the Tales series so i can't help you out there unless it's Tales lol

Samus Aran

Quote from: Thyme on August 07, 2011, 04:57:26 PM
Well speaking of strategy, I've never been into RTS games much, I'd say mostly because it's a very PC-centric genre.

well, what about strategy rpgs that are more like Disgaea, FF Tactics, Valkyria Chronicles, etc?

i prefer those types of games over what most people think of as "RTS" although they're obviously similar

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Suigintou on August 07, 2011, 04:58:58 PM
well, you could TRY an action rpg if you want

but i am not well versed in them other than the Tales series so i can't help you out there unless it's Tales lol

action rpgs are more doable

but i think i could definitely enjoy turn-based games more regularly if menus (WHICH ARE ENTIRELY UNNECESSARY) were eliminated

Thyme

modern turn-based games don't need to rely on menus, actions could easily be mapped to buttons >.<

You'd probs still need a hud of some sort that shows you what action is mapped to which button, so at that point there wouldn't be that much of a difference, especially if there are sub-actions behind each actions. That hud ends up being pretty much a menu, even if you navigate through it differently.

Andria

Quote from: Thyme on August 07, 2011, 04:57:26 PM
Well speaking of strategy, I've never been into RTS games much, I'd say mostly because it's a very PC-centric genre.

I like real time strategy don't get me wrong, but my god I suck at most of them so it is really hard for me to get into them. The strategy stuff I have down but the actual implication of said strategies never works out  n_u

Well if you play them on a pc they are ;)

there simply aren't enough buttons on a console controller to map all the possible choices to it and make it be intuitive and easy to use

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Thyme on August 07, 2011, 05:02:46 PM
You'd probs still need a hud of some sort that shows you what action is mapped to which button, so at that point there wouldn't be that much of a difference, especially if there are sub-actions behind each actions. That hud ends up being pretty much a menu, even if you navigate through it differently.

couldn't the player just memorize what certain buttons or button combinations do like the player is expected to do with most other games >.<

Nyerp

but that severely limits the amount of attacks that you can do and that's no fun psyduck;

Thyme

Quote from: Tectrika on August 07, 2011, 05:05:30 PM
couldn't the player just memorize what certain buttons or button combinations do like the player is expected to do with most other games >.<

Quote from: Nyerp on August 07, 2011, 05:05:50 PM
but that severely limits the amount of attacks that you can do and that's no fun psyduck;

^^^^

That, and that would be a decent system only with a one-character party, which most turn-based rpgs aren't.

Andria

Quote from: Nyerp on August 07, 2011, 05:05:50 PM

Yeah, if not the combinations would be insane and near impossible to remember

Samus Aran

Quote from: Tectrika on August 07, 2011, 05:05:30 PM

they could, but that would limit things extremely

how could you choose which magic spell to use, out of a list, if you can't have a menu? just an example.

i mean, the Tales series makes it so you choose which moves you want mapped to button+directional commands BEFOREHAND, and it's up to you to remember them or check them in a battle (or change them, but in most battles you're not going to pause the action at all except to maybe use an item)

but not ALL rpgs can be that way. it would just oversimplify things. it would eliminate a great deal of the strategy.

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Suigintou on August 07, 2011, 05:08:56 PM
they could, but that would limit things extremely

how could you choose which magic spell to use, out of a list, if you can't have a menu? just an example.

face buttons alone for standard attacks, l1 + face buttons for magic attacks, l2 + face buttons for x actions, r1 + face buttons for y actions, r2 + face buttons for z actions, etc.

I don't think that'd be too difficult.  I think menus can be circumvented. :'(

Though, yeah, it might limit the number of characters each player has control of to one, but then we could encourage multiplayer RPGs. :'(

Samus Aran

Quote from: Tectrika on August 07, 2011, 05:18:31 PM
face buttons alone for standard attacks, l1 + face buttons for magic attacks, l2 + face buttons for x actions, r1 + face buttons for y actions, r2 + face buttons for z actions, etc.

I don't think that'd be too difficult.  I think menus can be circumvented. :'(

Though, yeah, it might limit the number of characters each player has control of to one, but then we could encourage multiplayer RPGs. :'(

that doesn't change the fact that you'd need a menu to select WHICH magic attack or something like that

Kalahari Inkantation

To be clear, I don't think we can eliminate menus entirely.  I just don't think they're necessary for battling.

menus are for items :'(

Go Up