July 05, 2024, 07:48:15 AM

1,531,274 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Which of the major aspects of a game is most important?

Started by Kalahari Inkantation, August 07, 2011, 09:25:53 AM

previous topic - next topic

goodjob;

Graphics
1 (9.1%)
Gameplay
10 (90.9%)
Music (:'()
0 (0%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Go Down

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Suigintou on August 07, 2011, 05:20:05 PM
that doesn't change the fact that you'd need a menu to select WHICH magic attack or something like that

Each magic attack would be mapped to a certain face button, but L1 would have to be depressed in order for it to register as a magic attack and not a standard attack. sillydood;

Thyme

Quote from: Tectrika on August 07, 2011, 05:18:31 PM
face buttons alone for standard attacks, l1 + face buttons for magic attacks, l2 + face buttons for x actions, r1 + face buttons for y actions, r2 + face buttons for z actions, etc.

I don't think that'd be too difficult.  I think menus can be circumvented. :'(

Though, yeah, it might limit the number of characters each player has control of to one, but then we could encourage multiplayer RPGs. :'(

uh wow lol just drop it tec wariodood;

Andria

Quote from: Tectrika on August 07, 2011, 05:21:36 PM
Each magic attack would be mapped to a certain face button, but L1 would have to be depressed in order for it to register as a magic attack and not a standard attack. sillydood;

This is so much more complicated than

magic > earth magic > earthquake

Samus Aran

Quote from: Tectrika on August 07, 2011, 05:21:36 PM

oh okay

i mean yeah this is all possible and all but to be honest simply navigating a menu is easier and thus more efficient lol

Quote from: Squid Girl on August 07, 2011, 05:22:44 PM
This is so much more complicated than

magic > earth magic > earthquake

it often doesn't even go that far

magic > blizzara

Kalahari Inkantation

Kalahari Inkantation

Thyme

Quote from: Tectrika on August 07, 2011, 05:25:56 PM
it definitely slows the flow of the game down awdood;

it's turn-based, you're going to wait anyway

Samus Aran

Quote from: Tectrika on August 07, 2011, 05:24:52 PM
which could be mapped to

l1 + b

:'(

but what about

fire
fira
firaga
blizzard
blizzaga
thunder
thundara
thundaga
poison
poisonga
quake
ultima
and on
and on
and on

most rpgs have so many varying strategies BECAUSE they have so many different spells/attacks/special things of other sorts

the face buttons on a typical controller could not really hope to capture the amount of stuff you can do in most popular rpgs

Samus Aran

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Thyme on August 07, 2011, 05:26:45 PM
it's turn-based, you're going to wait anyway

yes, but i think waiting time could be reduced by mapping attacks to buttons >.<

Especially with a game like Pokemon where each Pokemon is limited to four attacks. :(

Samus Aran

Quote from: Tectrika on August 07, 2011, 05:28:57 PM
yes, but i think waiting time could be reduced by mapping attacks to buttons >.<

Especially with a game like Pokemon where each Pokemon is limited to four attacks. :(

with pokemon, it is definitely possible

with most other rpgs, not so much

it's an idea to keep in mind for future streamlined rpgs that could maybe benefit from it, but it will not work for MOST

Nyerp

Quote from: Tectrika on August 07, 2011, 05:28:57 PM

but what about doing anything else

Nyerp

hey tec if you want a nice, streamlined wait-based jrpg then play final fantasy 13

you don't even have to choose your own attacks!!! :D

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Suigintou on August 07, 2011, 05:27:26 PM
but what about

fire
fira
firaga
blizzard
blizzaga
thunder
thundara
thundaga
poison
poisonga
quake
ultima
and on
and on
and on

that's so much menu navigation and probably the type of game i'd avoid at all costs >.<

But I think Nintendo's turn-based RPGs, at the very least, could benefit from eliminating menus as there typically isn't a wide variety of attacks to choose from anyway. goowan

Kalahari Inkantation

Go Up