July 01, 2024, 12:44:18 AM

1,531,274 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Super Smash Bros. Melee

Started by strongbad, January 27, 2011, 04:55:32 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

ME##

Quote from: Kyo on April 02, 2011, 05:47:26 PM
^^^^^this is why i hate fighting games

Seriously.  People who take them way too seriously take all the fun out of them.

Samus Aran

but they don't take all the fun out of it for you, so who cares? let them do what they want.

Volvagia

Quote from: Jykehy on April 02, 2011, 05:51:06 PM
Seriously.  People who take them way too seriously take all the fun out of them.

It's the people who take them "too seriously" that keeps the publisher making more - you wouldn't have Brawl, MVC3 or Street Fighter IV without us.

Nyerp

Quote from: Volvagia on April 03, 2011, 05:20:23 AM
It's the people who take them "too seriously" that keeps the publisher making more - you wouldn't have MVC3 or Street Fighter IV without us.

ftfy

strongbad

Yesterday I had my first melee tournament, it was fucking awesome. Played with some of the best people on the West coast and obviously got rocked, but we didn't get embarrassed or anything. I was usually able to 1 or 2 stock people. But I got a ton of great tips and can't wait for the tourny next month.

Aaawwwhhh yeah pro gaming

ME##

It's the people who take them "too seriously" that keeps the publisher making more - you wouldn't have Brawl, MVC3 or Street Fighter IV without us.

Right, because people who play them to have fun don't spend money of them.  Wait.  n_u

Volvagia

Quote from: Jykehy on April 03, 2011, 11:40:15 AM
Right, because people who play them to have fun don't spend money of them.  Wait.  n_u

No, but they won't spend money on hundreds of thousands upon DLC and the cost of applying a patch. I don't think you've read the article that states MVC3 only exists because of the competitive gamers that took it seriously for tens of thousands of dollars at EVO every year. Most people (probably yourself is included in this list) buy a fighting game, play it for a month or less, and only touch it every now and again. The people that are online every day buying DLC or attending tournaments where producers of the games attend and even commentate on matches or putting quarters into machines at arcades are the people that keep the games alive.

Quote from: MF Doom on April 03, 2011, 11:19:30 AM
Yesterday I had my first melee tournament, it was fucking awesome. Played with some of the best people on the West coast and obviously got rocked, but we didn't get embarrassed or anything. I was usually able to 1 or 2 stock people. But I got a ton of great tips and can't wait for the tourny next month.

Aaawwwhhh yeah pro gaming

Guessing you played Mango/HBOX/Dr.Peewee/SilentSpectre/Zhu then? (Assuming some of them at least.)

strongbad

None of those guys, from my understanding they all live in Cali. The most notable people that I played were Ciz and Bladewise. There were a few others, I'll have to look them up.

Samus Aran

david and nyerp don't even play fighting games anyway, so it's not like they care that games like mvc3 and sf4 exist

strongbad

And to people who are bitching about competitive super smash bros or whatever the stupid argument is, who gives a shit? EVERY game with a decent multiplayer component has people who are really really good and know how to play the game better than you. A handful of those games have competitive scenes where people take it really seriously. Regardless of the game, you can play it however the fuck you want. If you want to play Smash seriously, go on smashboards, learn how to do advanced techniques and how to implement them into your gameplay. If you don't want to play it seriously, just don't do that and play normally. I don't see why there is any argument.

Samus Aran

because everything must be an argument

YPrrrr

This is boyah, we're going to argue until we drive off every member but one who shall be crowned the ultimate Boyager

The spy who loves you

Yup, I used to play Melee everday.

I've misplaced my copy and I haven't played it in a long long time, I played brawl today though.

As far as competitive fighting goes Melee has brawl beat but overall I think I like brawl a smidge more.

I used Marth and Fox, I was pretty good too.

The spy who loves you

Brawl was NOT made with the hardcore fighting game fan in mind in the slightest. None of the smash games were, Sakurai didn't release Melee thinking it would have the kind of depth it would which is why they went out of their way to water down Brawl.

The spy who loves you

Quote from: Kid on January 27, 2011, 04:59:39 PM
I'm not even particularly great at Smash and I totally agree that Melee is the best in every conceivable way. I wish I had people to play it with, I really do. If Boyagers ever got together, Melee would occur.

Whenever I actually do play it, which is rare, Samus is generally my go-to girl. She's kind of overpowered I know, but hey, use what you got right? And honestly in my experience missile spam is a really shitty tactic anyway lol. And I think everyone's wised up to the ol' fire a missile then immediately fire off a charged beam shot thing.

I think I just use Samus the most because Metroid is my favorite game series ever and Samus by conjunction is one of the coolest characters ever created.

I also enjoy using Pikachu and Young Link a lot. Young Link used to be pretty much my main, but not as much anymore.
lol

Samus isn't anywhere near OP.

Go Up