July 01, 2024, 01:00:54 AM

1,531,274 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Super Smash Bros. Melee

Started by strongbad, January 27, 2011, 04:55:32 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

strongbad

Have any of you ever gotten into the competetive melee scene? I know Cameron and a few outsiders have, but I can't think of anyone who posts now.

I've been playing pretty competitively for the last couple months with my friend Danny (around 2-3 hours daily is what we usually average) and we're getting pretty damn good. I've finally mastered some advanced techs like shorthopping, l-canceling, and obviously SHFFLing, as that goes along with the latter two. Also, my wave dashing was sub-par, so today we decided to take some Adderall and practice and HOLY SHIT I am amazing at wave dashing now. I can easily implement it into my play now.

In terms of main characters, I've been sticking to Marth, which is a pain in the ass since Danny's main is Samus (missile spam ahhh) and is secondary is Peach (turnip (or radish?) spam ahhh)). My secondary is Dr. Mario but he doesn't come close to my Marth.

But yeah, I've decide that Melee is the best Super Smash Bros. game to date and anybody who thinks otherwise must suck at Super Smash.

ITT SUPER SMASH BROS. MELEE AND WHY IT'S AWESOME

Samus Aran

I'm not even particularly great at Smash and I totally agree that Melee is the best in every conceivable way. I wish I had people to play it with, I really do. If Boyagers ever got together, Melee would occur.

Whenever I actually do play it, which is rare, Samus is generally my go-to girl. She's kind of overpowered I know, but hey, use what you got right? And honestly in my experience missile spam is a really shitty tactic anyway lol. And I think everyone's wised up to the ol' fire a missile then immediately fire off a charged beam shot thing.

I think I just use Samus the most because Metroid is my favorite game series ever and Samus by conjunction is one of the coolest characters ever created.

I also enjoy using Pikachu and Young Link a lot. Young Link used to be pretty much my main, but not as much anymore.

Wrench

I never owned Melee until after Brawl got released so I really didn't play it often. The only times I would play was over a friends house, but I was pretty good with Marth. Not like amazing or anything, just the best of my group of friends.

Melee was an awesome game. I don't think I've played it since acquiring it though lol. I haven't even played Brawl in a long time. I gotta get my Smash back on.

Nyerp

i like smash bros. but i hate how other people play it, especially with melee giggle;

ME##

Competitive gaming almost always sucks the fun out of a game.  giggle;

strongbad

Quote from: Hurluberlu on January 27, 2011, 05:29:10 PM
Competitive gaming almost always sucks the fun out of a game.  giggle;

People just say this because they are sick of getting beat giggle;

Classic

And I'm guessing if you get beat you'll start crying and hate the game.

Samus Aran

Quote from: Runner Up: Strongbutt on January 27, 2011, 05:39:01 PM

when people start playing competitively, do they automatically lose sight of the fact that most competitive players are total douches?

it's a bad community that's incredibly ignorant of the ability to have fun. not saying you're like that, just saying...most tourneyfags are really, really annoying.

so it's certainly true that competitive players sometimes suck the fun out of a game - but sometimes not. just depends on who you're with, and what the game is.

ME##

Quote from: Runner Up: Strongbutt on January 27, 2011, 05:39:01 PM

If that's what you want to believe.  Playing a game with a friend is fun, but adding 'srs bisness' by making it a competition is just boring. 

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Best character in the smash series was DK til they fucked him up in Brawl.

Nyerp

Quote from: Lookout, it's fucking Not Sid! on January 27, 2011, 05:48:38 PM
Best character in the smash series was DK til they fucked him up in Brawl.

lol, no

Samus Aran

DK can be really good, I've seen it done plenty of times.

I never liked him much though, personally. Too big of a target, for one thing.

Kalahari Inkantation

I was terrible at Melee, but my favorite character was Samus.  Sheik was my second best. 5thgrade;

i've put more time into brawl than any other ssb game so i'm better at it, though i'm still terrible compared to other players befuddlement

Nyerp

i like game & watch goowan

Quote from: Pam on January 27, 2011, 05:57:26 PM
though i'm still terrible compared to other players befuddlement

me too akudood;

burzumfan420

i love mr game and watch in brawl

i played brawl 2 much 2 go back to melee

Go Up