September 28, 2024, 08:22:39 AM

1,531,324 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

The sorry state of the Wii U

Started by ME##, January 17, 2015, 12:58:22 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Hiro

i played this for like an hour maybe and the bowser mode is kinda horrible
minigames are okay
2 and 3 are still the best ones by far

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Why is it a board game and not the characters walking ariu d

Kalahari Inkantation

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/splatoon-dropped-voice-chat-over-toxicity-concerns/1100-6426519/

yet another idiotic excuse for being lazy shits

because """toxicity""" is a totally insurmountable problem that couldn't possibly be circumvented by allowing for voice chat only among friends, or by having other players muted by default

Thyme

eating seeds as a pastime activity

TooB

Kalahari Inkantation

Kalahari Inkantation

May 16, 2015, 04:38:14 PM #97 Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 04:52:58 PM by Tectron
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-05/15/nintendo-nx-not-wii-u-3ds-replacement

oh boy, another """third pillar""" console

remember how nintendo tried to pretend that the ds was not meant to replace the gba, lol

QuoteNintendo has history in claiming new hardware isn't a replacement for old. Prior to the release of the original Nintendo DS in 2004, the company claimed the untested, radically different hardware was planned as a "third pillar" to stand alongside its home console business and the Game Boy handheld family. The success of the DS rapidly saw it supplant the Game Boy Advance (backwards compatibility with GBA cartridges helped), so Iwata's claims that the NX isn't a replacement should perhaps be taken with a pinch of sodium crystals.

The artist formally known

May 18, 2015, 10:22:34 PM #98 Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 10:27:53 PM by reefer
I hope they kill off at least one of their hardware platforms. They can spit out new gaming consoles all they want, they need to focus on making video games because they're not gaining much 3rd party support right now.

I'm interested but I hope they have this far down the road...

At least they're "trying" to remove region lock in the future.

ME##

Hiro

i could see this third pillar replacing both the 3ds an wii u, being a portable/at-home hybrid thing

Quote from: ʜɨɍɵ҈҈ on May 19, 2015, 11:52:31 AM
i could see this third pillar replacing both the 3ds an wii u, being a portable/at-home hybrid thing
this sounds awful

Kalahari Inkantation

May 19, 2015, 12:49:57 PM #102 Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 02:34:26 PM by Tectron
Quote from: ʜɨɍɵ҈҈ on May 19, 2015, 11:52:31 AM

people seem to have latched onto this idea ever since nintendo consolidated its handheld and console development teams into one department, but i have no idea why anyone took it to mean they'd be combining the devices themselves lol

nintendo would be putting themselves at an even bigger risk by halving their potential revenue stream and making themselves completely dependent on the success or failure of one device, unless they could somehow guarantee it would make at least the combined sales of one separate handheld and one separate console (which they certainly can't)

they'd literally and figuratively be putting themselves one step closer to becoming a sega

not to mention that the technology simply isn't there yet, nor will be by 2016, it would either be a mind-bogglingly underpowered console relative to competitor offerings, or it would be heinously expensive and still underpowered, and either option would completely lock them out of any third party support (if there's even any hope at this point of them ever recovering significant third party support) and guarantee yet another generation of irrelevance

i'm certain that there will come a time when consoles and handhelds (or, more accurately, consoles and smartphones) will have effectively converged into one device, but that's still decades off lol

nintendo probably only merged their teams so that they could settle on one base architecture and operating system for the next generation of hardware to facilitate integration between the two, but there's no way that """fusion""" fan fiction is coming true lol

The artist formally known

Good point about the "all eggs in one basket" part too. I agree. They're nintendo, they need to keep selling hardware and consolidating their consoles doesn't do that either.

I don't quite understand this third pillar thing. It will replace one or the other most likely. So NX is the Wii U's successor?

Kalahari Inkantation

May 19, 2015, 06:49:20 PM #104 Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 07:53:02 PM by Tectron
judging by nintendo's traditional release patterns alone, one would expect it to be a successor to the 3ds as for the past 15 years now they've pretty much only ever release new hardware in an alternating handheld-home console-handheld pattern

and using the ds's life progression as a model for the 3ds, nintendo would be right on schedule to release a true 3ds successor in fall-winter 2016

but with the absolute failure of the wii u they might feel pressured to buck that trend and release a new home console first (and postpone the release of a new handheld for another year or smth), and with only one or two major wii u games confirmed for 2016 (zelda and........ ??) it wouldn't surprise me if they did just that

Go Up