June 15, 2024, 08:00:03 PM

1,531,265 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

The sorry state of the Wii U

Started by ME##, January 17, 2015, 12:58:22 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Hiro

Quote from: Tectron on June 17, 2015, 06:52:35 PM
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-17-next-proper-metroid-prime-would-likely-now-be-on-nx

Quote from: Metroid Prime producer Kensuke TanabeIf we started for Wii U now, it would likely take three years or so. So it would likely now be on Nintendo's NX console

LOL

confirming that:

1. they never at any point had a real metroid in development for the 8th generation in the first place
2. they are indeed already formally abandoning the wii u ship, and they're not even afraid to admit it anymore
well on your 2nd point, the wii u came out in 2012 so a 2018 release would put it at the next system regardless

Thyme

bluaki

Quote from: Thyme on July 17, 2015, 07:21:06 PM
oh my, look at the time, it's tecarticle o'clock

http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/17/nintendo-wii-u-love/
QuoteThe Wii U offered sub-standard graphics
At the time it launched, wasn't it the most powerful console, albeit not as much as an improvement over PS3/360 as it could've been? confuseddood;
QuoteIt offered local cooperative and competitive experiences, something in short supply from the online-focused PS4 and Xbox One.
So apparently decent local multiplayer and good online systems are mutually exclusive?
QuoteThis could be a move to sweep the Wii U under the rug alongside the Virtual Boy, Power Glove and GameCube.
One of these three products is not like the others.
QuoteWhen Nintendo announced the Wii U, it was as if the company hadn't ever heard of 60fps or 1080p
Don't they have a pretty good number of games with both?

Kalahari Inkantation

July 18, 2015, 03:32:04 PM #199 Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 03:35:40 PM by Tectron
Quote from: Thyme on July 17, 2015, 07:21:06 PM
oh my, look at the time, it's tecarticle o'clock

http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/17/nintendo-wii-u-love/

this article is nothing but a thinly-veiled eulogy for iwata, a delusionally rose-tinted assessment of the wii u and nintendo in the wake of his demise

pure, shameless pandering meant to capitalize on recent devastating news

i mean not a single point this article attempts to make in defense of the wii u is grounded in reality, from the very first sentence onward

QuoteWith the announcement of the Wii U, everyone thought Nintendo was wrong. Hell, we thought Nintendo was out of touch, foolish and doomed for producing a gaming-focused, two-screen console that wouldn't be able to compete technologically with whatever Sony and Microsoft offered in the new generation.

uh

has anybody's opinion on this actually changed

certainly not the market's, according to that sub-dreamcast sales rate which only finally hit 10 million a few days ago

QuoteBut then: Sony launched the PlayStation 4; Microsoft launched the Xbox One; and as hype for each rose and fizzled out,

goonish

this is a laughably absurd claim (i lit. lol'd)

if 20 million sales in a year is what this maniac calls "fizzling out", i bet nintendo would be thrilled to fizzle the way sony and microsoft are at the moment, sony has doubled the wii u's sales in half the time on the market

if that's fizzling out, then the wii u never even fizzed to begin with

Quote from: bluaki on July 17, 2015, 07:47:53 PM
It offered local cooperative and competitive experiences, something in short supply from the online-focused PS4 and Xbox One.
So apparently decent local multiplayer and good online systems are mutually exclusive?

i guess if you're a delusional nintendo fanboy like the article's author is pretending to be, yes

QuoteIt had been out for a year longer, meaning it had more games.

how many of which were actually worth owning...........

and let's not forget about the complete dearth of third-party support, which the ps4 and xbox one have been benefitting from from day one

Quoteit isn't heavily invested in military-style first-person shooters

because it doesn't have a choice because its hardware is too shit to run them

and when tens of millions of gamers demand military shooters (or anything else) and nintendo fails to supply them, tens of millions of gamers instead buy xbox ones and ps4s

QuoteMicrosoft and Sony were just two organizations barely on the periphery of Nintendo's marketing plan

and if nintendo doesn't stop pretending it doesn't compete with microsoft and sony it will continue to lose support

we've all long realize that the 'w-we're not competing !!' narrative is a highly transparent excuse for failing to deliver adequate experiences that gamers can easily find on other platforms

QuoteAs it turns out, Nintendo wasn't wrong. We were.

please, my good lord, stop encouraging the idea that the gaming audience misunderstood nintendo's goals for the wii u, miyamoto himself made a similarly stupid comment a month ago and it's indicative of a complete lack of personal responsibility for the company's failures

nintendo did an absolute shite job at enticing consumers and that's nobody's fault but nintendo's own, keep blaming customers until nintendo's gone bankrupt if it makes you feel better but that's not actually going to increase sales

and so on and so forth

and then for the rest of the article it's just dumb anecdotes and subjectivities about how great the wii u is and why the ps4 and xbox suck

this apologizing for nintendo's glaring deficiencies is exactly what made them so complacent and ultimately so badly defeated this generation

shallow articles like this do nothing but contribute to the company's eventual extinction

[spoiler]

man, i took that bait hook, line & sinker[/spoiler]

Thyme

July 18, 2015, 03:42:19 PM #200 Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 06:59:59 PM by Thyme
it would be a great disservice to all of us if you were to not take the bait, tec giggle;

[spoiler=alternative reply]senpai noticed me giggle;[/spoiler]

don't let's

Tec, you are literally killing Nintendo

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: … on July 18, 2015, 05:33:32 PM
Tec, you are literally killing Nintendo

yes, as a consequence of being foolish enough to buy a wii u and telling nintendo that a half-baked product like that was a wise idea worthy of my $200, i regretfully contributed to nintendo's eventual doom

Quote from: Thyme on July 18, 2015, 03:42:19 PM
it would be a great disservice to all of use if you were to not take the bait, tec giggle;

[spoiler=alternative reply]senpai noticed me giggle;[/spoiler]

taking the bait isn't good for my blood pressure myface;

Kalahari Inkantation

July 19, 2015, 09:02:38 PM #203 Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 09:06:43 PM by Tectron
Quote from: bluaki on July 17, 2015, 07:47:53 PM
QuoteWhen Nintendo announced the Wii U, it was as if the company hadn't ever heard of 60fps or 1080p
Don't they have a pretty good number of games with both?

the only games with both are sm4sh (which isn't especially demanding) and rayman legends (which is also 1080p/60fps on the ps3 and xbox 360)

everything else is 720p, relatively few of which run at 60fps

the wii u may have been the most powerful option on the market when it launched, but it was only a marginal upgrade from the ps3/360, decade-old technology which most gamers were ready to retire in favor of their upcoming, vastly more capable successors

bluaki

oh, I thought I saw reports claiming Mario Kart 8 is 1080p, but apparently it's actually 720

of the Wii U games I own:
1080/60: SSB4
1080/30: Wind Waker HD
?/60: Rainbow Curse
720/60: NSMBU, 3D World, Captain Toad, W101, NintendoLand, Donkey Kong, Sonic Lost World, Mario Party, Splatoon
720/30: Pikmin 3

So yes, it seems Wii U's selection of 1080p games is very scarce. Strangely, even the 2D games stick with 720, although I'm sure Wii U should be able to easily handle them at 1080/60. The bulk of its worthwhile games seem to be in 720/60.

ME##

silvertone

tbh every game i've played for wii u has been gr8. there's just only been 5 games

Kalahari Inkantation

http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/24/9037965/nintendo-wii-u-tvii-closure

services already being shut down as they begin their transitional phase from wii u to nx

Quote from: fuchsmanguste on July 23, 2015, 04:20:17 PM
tbh every game i've played for wii u has been gr8. there's just only been 5 games

this seems to be the general consensus among wii u owners

it's basically a mario kart/smash/3d world/bayonetta machine

TooB

Quote from: Tectron on July 24, 2015, 05:36:08 PM
http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/24/9037965/nintendo-wii-u-tvii-closure

services already being shut down as they begin their transitional phase from wii u to nx

Quote from: fuchsmanguste on July 23, 2015, 04:20:17 PM

this seems to be the general consensus among wii u owners

it's basically a mario kart/smash/3d world/bayonetta machine
and hyrule warriors.....
and tropical freeze
sillydood;

Go Up