July 05, 2024, 08:19:14 AM

1,531,274 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Super Smash Bros. Melee

Started by strongbad, January 27, 2011, 04:55:32 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Commander Fuckass

would i be kicked out of your club if I mained Kirby
http://psnprofiles.com/TheMaysian][/URL]3DS Friend Code: 5086-5790-7151

strongbad

Quote from: Kefka on January 20, 2012, 11:06:08 AM
would i be kicked out of your club if I mained Kirby

no but unless you were godly with kirby you would probably lose a lot

YPrrrr

Daaaamn M2K was way too open to grabs in that one

strongbad

Quote from: NPR on January 20, 2012, 11:52:15 AM
Daaaamn M2K was way too open to grabs in that one

Yeah, I thought the same thing.
although it's hard not to be against Samus, now that i think about it. That video is also from 2006, and I'm sure that the metagame has progressed a lot since then.

strongbad

Okay lol nvm apparently the guy I met is a different Wes. Still a really good player, just not him apparently.

But shit these guys we've been playing with are so good. Just what I need to get my play to the next level.

strongbad

maaaan this game gets a lot less fun when you're consistently playing with people who are better than you
there are so many things that i need to implement into my game if i want to get to the next level, like jabs, lightshielding (more), wavelanding more consistently (basically only a problem with doc. i'm pretty consistent with marth) and fucking DI on everything
and i have so many match-ups that i need to learn better. also i need to stop instinctively cc-ing peach's dsmash ugh

still really love melee though
i wish other boyagers played competitively :(

Andria

I have no idea as to what you just said 5thgrade;

Nyerp

yeah sorry none of that stuff actually exists

strongbad

Quote from: Echo Weiss on February 15, 2012, 10:54:03 AM
I have no idea as to what you just said 5thgrade;

well my comboing would definitely improve if i did a better job implementing jabs, and especially against characters like falco who i play a lot, i would fare much better against shield pressure if i could use my light shield instinctively instead of going normal shield.
DI is  away to alter your character's trajectory after you get hit, which is a great way to get out of combos and survive longer at higher percentages (i.e. if you can aim your trajectory towards the upper corners of the screen, you won't die at times you would have if you went horizontally or vertically since the level cut-off distance is farther diagonally (think basic geometry)). DI is probably the thing that I need to implement the most, and it's just a matter of bashing the c-stick and normal stick a certain way, but there are multiple forms of DI and i can't do anything past basic DI consistently.

and for matchups, you can't play a falco the same way you'd play against a peach. you need to learn what attacks counter their approaches and attacks, what throw combos work at what percentages, and what approaches work. i'm alright against a few match-ups that i play consistently (marth v. cf, marth v. falco, cf v. marth) but i struggle a lot against high tier characters that i don't have a ton of practice against such as fox, which is horrible since a good fox is a fucking force to be reckoned with

cc-ing refers to crouch canceling, which happens when you hold down immediately after getting hit near the ground. your character will move towards and crouch on the ground, which is useful for staying on the level. however, if you crouch cancel peach's downsmash (which i do since i crouch cancel most attacks out of habit) you will get hit by almost every hit in the attack, which can give around 50% i believe

strongbad

piano moths

I wish that I could challenge you boyagers to a game because I think I am really good at this game. Not in a way that girls say they are good at a game like smash bros or mario kart but I am a destroyer of men
kill them w kindness

Socks

Quote from: eeeeeee on February 15, 2012, 11:53:53 AM
I wish that I could challenge you boyagers to a game because I think I am really good at this game. Not in a way that girls say they are good at a game like smash bros or mario kart but I am a destroyer of men

lol, so glad i happened upon this thread.

strongbad

Quote from: eeeeeee on February 15, 2012, 11:53:53 AM

lets do it
who is your main

piano moths

Quote from: MF Doom on February 15, 2012, 12:23:35 PM
lets do it
who is your main

Sheik!! But I also enjoy play very much when Link, Young Link, Samus, DK, Pikachu, Peach, Samus, Roy & Fox
I play my brother most days in Super Smash Bros.  And everybody I mentioned is somebody who I probably use everyday. But I'm down to be anybody in that game. So fun.

My brother has been using Captain Falcon lately. But he really likes Pikachu, Fox & Ganondorf... And Link

Quote from: Socks on February 15, 2012, 12:00:45 PM
lol, so glad i happened upon this thread.

hocuspocus;

kill them w kindness

YPrrrr

I went to an engineers' gamer party with my roommate (oh the nerdy shame) and they had melee...

I suck at melee. Dear god the one guy's falco was just unfair. It was like he was moving 3x my speed. Dr. Mario might not have been the best choice for my first time playing in forever myface;

Go Up