July 03, 2024, 12:45:58 AM

1,531,274 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Super Smash Bros. Melee

Started by strongbad, January 27, 2011, 04:55:32 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

silvertone

Quote from: Clucky on January 07, 2012, 09:15:11 PM
my friend is going
maybe you two should meet up and get married and make babies

please be serious. thanks.

??????

YPrrrr

Quote from: Thyme on January 07, 2012, 03:00:09 PM
is there a particular reason why it's restricted to that
His club, his rules

He's given his opinion on brawl many times, if he doesn't mind fewer members, that's his prerogative

strongbad

Quote from: Thyme on January 07, 2012, 03:00:09 PM
is there a particular reason why it's restricted to that

Because on a competitive level they are very different games and I would rather focus my club on the competitive game that interested me even if it sacrifices higher turnout.

Daddy

Your club doesn't have retarded "LOL FOX ONLY" rules does it

strongbad

Quote from: Khadafi on January 08, 2012, 10:23:51 PM
Your club doesn't have retarded "LOL FOX ONLY" rules does it

That's not an actual rule.
But we do follow tournament rules (or at least encourage them), so 1v1, tournament maps, 4 stock, 8 minutes, no items.

Daddy

What do you mean that's not an actual rule? 

I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people who play with rules that say you can only use certain characters (partially due to whining and partially because of things like Pikachu's hitbox) or limit it down to things like Final Destination and Battlefield. akudood;

Maybe it's not an actual rule in your club so that does answer my question.

strongbad

Quote from: Khadafi on January 09, 2012, 11:15:24 AM
What do you mean that's not an actual rule? 

I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people who play with rules that say you can only use certain characters (partially due to whining and partially because of things like Pikachu's hitbox) or limit it down to things like Final Destination and Battlefield. akudood;

Maybe it's not an actual rule in your club so that does answer my question.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=257229
Pretty sure what you're referring to doesn't exist.
Melee's pretty damn balanced for a competitive fighter, actually.

Although Metaknight is banned for competitive use in Brawl.
[spoiler]brawl sucks[/spoiler]

Volvagia

Quote from: MF Doom on January 09, 2012, 11:31:40 AM

The whole brawl scene sucks...  n_u

Can't believe some of them hate Melee when they see how much more fun it is for themselves at their tournaments.

Melee, the only competitive game where Bottom Tier can actually reach Top 8. I miss Taj's mewtwo so much in the scene.

strongbad

Quote from: Volvagia on January 10, 2012, 11:11:15 AM
The whole brawl scene sucks...  n_u

Can't believe some of them hate Melee when they see how much more fun it is for themselves at their tournaments.

Melee, the only competitive game where Bottom Tier can actually reach Top 8. I miss Taj's mewtwo so much in the scene.

I've seen some videos of Taj's mewtwo. Whataballer

Also Axe's Pikachu is fucking sweet if we're talking about low teir play

Daddy

Quote from: MF Doom on January 09, 2012, 11:31:40 AM
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=257229
Pretty sure what you're referring to doesn't exist.
Melee's pretty damn balanced for a competitive fighter, actually.

You linked to one where people ban certain stages which falls under the rules regarding the joke 'FOX ONLY. FINAL DESTINATION ONLY. NO ITEMS' which is what I was referring to.  akudood;

and you just cited an example of a character being banned in tourney rules. just not in the version of ssb you play akudood;

But your reaction to my question allows me to conclude the following answer: "We don't ban certain characters but we do ban certain stages and items".

Would this be correct?

not saying anything is wrong with it since some stages may reduce reliance on skill and throw in luck for certain players.

YPrrrr

I only play final destination/battlefield and other such stages too... it's more fun usually.

Also fuck corneria and the free heals for lucas/ness madood;

strongbad

Quote from: Khadafi on January 10, 2012, 02:57:56 PM
You linked to one where people ban certain stages which falls under the rules regarding the joke 'FOX ONLY. FINAL DESTINATION ONLY. NO ITEMS' which is what I was referring to.  akudood;

and you just cited an example of a character being banned in tourney rules. just not in the version of ssb you play akudood;

But your reaction to my question allows me to conclude the following answer: "We don't ban certain characters but we do ban certain stages and items".

Would this be correct?

not saying anything is wrong with it since some stages may reduce reliance on skill and throw in luck for certain players.

Banning stages is completely reasonable. If you're going to play a game competitively, you need to take out random elements. It's pretty damn frustrating when somebody pulls a good item during a game, and even if you are a better player, they get an extremely unfair advantage. That frustration is not fun, and if you take the game seriously, you would do everything in your power to eliminate any causes of this frustration. Hence no items and no stages that offer un-fair advantages.

Also it doesn't matter if Brawl bans stuff, since I created Super Smash Bros. Melee club, and I dislike Brawl.

oops didn't notice that you weren't arguing with me disregard this lol

Daddy

strongbad

So i've mentioned that i started a ssbm club at my university
we had our weekly meeting last night, and this guy:
[spoiler][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIAgW5-GvIs[/youtube]
(not m2k lol)[/spoiler]
showed up and basically destroyed everyone in the club. My friend (the other person in charge of the club) and myself were talking to him for a while and he really wants to train us and help us get to the next level of our play  O_0

fuck i really should decide on a main now.
i've dabbled in Marth, Jiggs, Shiek, CF, and Doc more than any other characters. i've been playing doc the most as of lately. so addicted to his bair gimping

but yeah guys melee lol

Go Up