July 01, 2024, 03:11:54 AM

1,531,274 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

I was in a car accident

Started by Samus Aran, December 29, 2016, 07:48:09 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

okay the Lyft jew then

point still stands, those and a traditional cab are my only decent way to get back home from downtown past midnight, unfortunately

Daddy

I'm still confused as to how the state can charge you with a criminal offense for an accident that wasn't caused by OUI or some other egregious offense that constitutes wreckless driving.

I'd say as long as you weren't going more than 10-20+ the speed limit  in icy conditions a civil penalty is all that is warranted.

Samus Aran

Quote from: Khadafi on February 05, 2017, 11:36:33 PM
I'm still confused as to how the state can charge you with a criminal offense for an accident that wasn't caused by OUI or some other egregious offense that constitutes wreckless driving.

I'd say as long as you weren't going more than 10-20+ the speed limit  in icy conditions a civil penalty is all that is warranted.

I'm as confused as you are. While technically I don't personally remember anything about the accident, ice is really the only explanation for how my car both drifted into the other lane and managed to turn around so that my driver's side was facing oncoming traffic. But I don't know what the other party and/or witnesses told the state trooper, maybe there's some conflicting information or just not enough of it idk. Also, the trooper did put in his police report that the roads were icy, I specifically remember there being some ice on the road, and as far as I can remember, he said that a witness account mostly matched what I surmised happened

In some ways, not being able to remember the accident is frustrating

Mando Pandango

Uberpool is only marginally more expensive than public transportation, at least here. Give that a shot. Not sure if Lyft does something similar
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

FAMY2

Quote from: Shinobu Oshino on February 06, 2017, 12:03:31 PM

I'm as confused as you are. While technically I don't personally remember anything about the accident, ice is really the only explanation for how my car both drifted into the other lane and managed to turn around so that my driver's side was facing oncoming traffic. But I don't know what the other party and/or witnesses told the state trooper, maybe there's some conflicting information or just not enough of it idk. Also, the trooper did put in his police report that the roads were icy, I specifically remember there being some ice on the road, and as far as I can remember, he said that a witness account mostly matched what I surmised happened

It takes so little to get spun around on ice. Someone behind you could of taped your bumper, a slight change in speed, or just because ice is like that.
I still find it strange you have to go to court. In Michigan the cop decides what happened and if you get a ticket and disagree then you go to court.

Thyme

Samus Aran

nothing really happened today. i have a continuance (a delay basically) so my public defender can go through the discovery procedure, gathering information and such and then i have to appear again in two weeks

Daddy

Quote from: FAMY2 on February 06, 2017, 02:08:34 PM

It takes so little to get spun around on ice. Someone behind you could of taped your bumper, a slight change in speed, or just because ice is like that.
I still find it strange you have to go to court. In Michigan the cop decides what happened and if you get a ticket and disagree then you go to court.

Thyme

Quote from: Shinobu Oshino on February 14, 2017, 04:29:31 PM
nothing really happened today. i have a continuance (a delay basically) so my public defender can go through the discovery procedure, gathering information and such and then i have to appear again in two weeks

appear again? so you did go? and you'd have to do six hours of driving again?

if so that's bullshi

Samus Aran

Thyme

FAMY2

Quote from: Khadafi on February 14, 2017, 04:33:54 PM
Quote from: FAMY2 on February 06, 2017, 02:08:34 PM

About how life goes. But it did make me laugh.

Samus Aran

Quote from: Thyme on February 14, 2017, 04:57:13 PM
that's bullshi :(

It was either that or plead guilty to something im not guilty of as far as I'm concerned

Thyme

Quote from: Shinobu Oshino on February 15, 2017, 08:42:54 AM
Quote from: Thyme on February 14, 2017, 04:57:13 PM
that's bullshi :(

It was either that or plead guilty to something im not guilty of as far as I'm concerned

do i need to say it a third time? sillydood; :(

Samus Aran

So I called my public defender today. He went through all the records and witness accounts and such with me. Basically what it boils down to is that the state thinks I should have been going slower considering the icy conditions. A witness account estimated my speed at 45-50. It was a 60 zone. So I was going under the speed limit already due to icy road conditions. But shit still happened.

There's two reasons I can't really dispute this. One is that I don't remember the incident, so I can't just say I was going slower than estimated. Cause I really don't know for sure. The second is that, if I were to say that the 45 I may have been going was "slow enough" given the conditions and that I was driving with due care and shit just happened...well, it just wouldn't fly. It would be extremely, extremely unlikely for this sort of defense to hold up, according to my public defender.

There's really no choice for me but to do a no contest plea. Basically, I don't remember the incident so I can't dispute nor confirm the reports and witness accounts. I'll be found guilty, but hopefully the punishment won't be too harsh.

Go Up