June 26, 2024, 04:39:57 AM

1,531,274 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

RUMOR: NEW 3DS XL out next month

Started by Commander Fuckass, January 12, 2015, 10:37:40 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Hiro

w-would you be willing to sell the 2nd one or something

Kalahari Inkantation

now i really do wish i had purchased more when i had the chance >.<

i should have clarified, while i did buy two of them, one was actually just a pick-up for my brother lol :'(

Hiro

bluaki

Quote from: Tectron on August 22, 2015, 01:06:22 AM
still, minimum of 720p would be great, and if nintendo's next handheld doesn't manage at least that, in a world where the average $200 shitphone can have a 1080p ips display, then i hope the iphone 7s wipes nintendo off the map once and for all
A screen resolution of 240p is truly atrocious, but 1080p is excessive. Higher resolution means much worse graphical performance and battery life.

What phones at $200 (unsubsidized) or lower actually have 1080p? I know several with 720p, but none with 1080.

480p really should be the bare minimum for a handheld gaming system in this decade. 540p and 720p can be a bit nicer, but I think anything above 720p is excessive for now until we get dramatic improvements in GPUs, screen prices, and battery. Even for phones (which are reasonably-sized enough to actually pocket and use one-handed), I think 1080p is a bit excessive and probably wastes more battery than it's worth.

I sure hope that touchscreen-only games never totally replace games with real buttons.

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: bluaki on August 22, 2015, 08:09:36 PM
Quote from: Tectron on August 22, 2015, 01:06:22 AM
still, minimum of 720p would be great, and if nintendo's next handheld doesn't manage at least that, in a world where the average $200 shitphone can have a 1080p ips display, then i hope the iphone 7s wipes nintendo off the map once and for all
A screen resolution of 240p is truly atrocious, but 1080p is excessive. Higher resolution means much worse graphical performance and battery life.

What phones at $200 (unsubsidized) or lower actually have 1080p? I know several with 720p, but none with 1080.

480p really should be the bare minimum for a handheld gaming system in this decade. 540p and 720p can be a bit nicer, but I think anything above 720p is excessive for now until we get dramatic improvements in GPUs, screen prices, and battery. Even for phones (which are reasonably-sized enough to actually pocket and use one-handed), I think 1080p is a bit excessive and probably wastes more battery than it's worth.

I sure hope that touchscreen-only games never totally replace games with real buttons.

Actually, my current $200 unlocked shitphone has a 1080p 5.5in IPS display. sillydood;

in addition to some other impressive specs for its asking price

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875220004

i do agree that the battery costs for 1080p for a handheld system wouldn't be nearly worth the negligible visual enhancement, but i don't think 720p or something in that range like 648p would be too much to ask

and i wouldn't want that either, but the market increasingly doesn't seem to care whether or not its handheld gaming platform of choice has physical buttons, and if nintendo fails to impress again in the 9th gen it truly will see even more of its market share devoured by apple

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

with a screen that small, does it even matter if the resolution is 720 or 1080

Kalahari Inkantation

the jump from 720p to 1080p would more than double the pixel count and consequently halve the battery life, in addition to putting more stress on the cpu/gpu, on a screen so small that that the visual benefits could hardly be realized

still, i would like for the next nintendo handheld to be 720p or something near it, if manufacturers of cheap smartphones can manage that then so can nintendo

the 3ds costs $200 and has a resolution of 240p

even if you account for the fact that the 3ds has to render up to three images at a time at that resolution (upper screen x2, lower screen x1), it's still drawing less than 30% of the pixels a single 720p display would

in other words, while 1080p would be excessive, 720p would still be a huge improvement

Hiro

yeah 720 seems good for a handheld

ME##

Quote from: Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo on August 22, 2015, 09:33:22 PM
with a screen that small, does it even matter if the resolution is 720 or 1080
considering how phones make people think they need 1440p or higher, it doesn't matter if it truly needs it or not lol

>tfw the psp back in 2005 was a marvel for its high pixel density

Kalahari Inkantation

http://www.polygon.com/2015/8/31/9235089/new-nintendo-3ds-north-america-release-date

now millions of braindead american nintendo fans can and will happily fork over their $200 for a needless fourth release of the 3ds, exactly as nintendo intended

bluaki

Quote from: Tectron on September 01, 2015, 10:44:06 PM
http://www.polygon.com/2015/8/31/9235089/new-nintendo-3ds-north-america-release-date

now millions of braindead american nintendo fans can and will happily fork over their $200 for a needless fourth release of the 3ds, exactly as nintendo intended
fourth? You underestimate them. This is the fifth release for North America. 3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS, N3DSXL, N3DS. Admittedly, most of the fans who already had one of the previous models probably wouldn't get a 2DS, so maybe only four of them matter to the people who want to always have the latest and greatest.

Japan, however, never got the 2DS. Considering they also simultaneously received N3DS+XL, they effectively had only 3 3DS releases.

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: bluaki on September 01, 2015, 11:07:29 PM
Quote from: Tectron on September 01, 2015, 10:44:06 PM

Admittedly, most of the fans who already had one of the previous models probably wouldn't get a 2DS, so maybe only four of them matter to the people who want to always have the latest and greatest.

yeah, that's what i mean, it's the fourth release in the sense that it's the fourth that the hxc nintendo fans would take interest in, the 2ds is marketed towards different demographic

i'd be less disgusted with their behavior if they had released them together like they did in japan, instead of initially making that choice for north american fans and then later telling them they're going to want to buy a smaller one anyway

but i guess they lose nothing by exploiting fanboys

Quote from: David on January 14, 2015, 12:08:25 PM
silly, nintendo wants you to buy this one so you have to buy another new 3ds when the smaller one comes out ^_^

confirmed

bluaki

tbh I'm surprised they released the smaller N3DS this late. After a few months, I seriously doubted we'd ever get it.

At this point, NX is likely to replace the 3DS in less than a year.

Although so far Nintendo has claimed NX is a separate system not intended to replace 3DS or Wii U, we all know how well that worked out last time they claimed the same thing. I guess I shouldn't be surprised if, like Game Boy Micro, they release yet another 3DS model after NX effectively already replaced it.

Kalahari Inkantation

i would be extremely surprised if nintendo's next console were actually designed to also cannibalize the sales of its handheld platform

i'm still betting it'll be an entirely stationary wii u successor console with a separate 3ds successor coming at a later point, it makes no sense for them to kill off one of their only two revenue streams like that

Quote from: bluaki on September 01, 2015, 11:36:27 PM
Although so far Nintendo has claimed NX is a separate system not intended to replace 3DS or Wii U

it's definitely replacing one or the other (almost certainly the wii u), but more than likely not both

bluaki

I think the popular interpretation/prediction of NX plans is that it'll be a pair of hardware systems launching together that tie together in some way, effectively replacing both 3DS and Wii U.

Considering Nintendo's usual console lifecycles so far, regardless of what "NX" actually is, shouldn't 3DS be dead within at most maybe a year and a half, probably less, unless it manages to outlive the abnormally-long-lived DS line? I think Nintendo has already mostly (if not fully) depleted its big releases for 3DS. The upcoming releases are just as lackluster as Wii U's if not even moreso. What's their biggest upcoming game? Metroid?

Go Up