October 04, 2024, 12:26:13 PM

1,531,325 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Plugged in my gamecube

Started by snorkel, August 23, 2010, 01:52:32 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

snorkel

Some time ago I sold all of my video games, all I have left is a gamecube, n64, and a few games. Today I played some F-Zero GX and it was remarkably entertaining (I also still have SSBM).

I'm bringing these with me to my apartment, and I'm trying to remember all the awesome classics that I should re-acquire.

I immediately remember:

GameCube:
- Super Mario Sunshine
- Luigi's Mansion (god how I love this game)
- OoT: Master Quest (so sad I sold this)
- WindWaker
- RE4

I hate MarioKart (post-n64) and Mario Party. don't recommend them.

Nyerp

Mario Kart: Double Dash and Mario Parties 4-7

ME##

Tales of Symphonia.

lol

Also, I need to play Luigi's Mansion.

Mando Pandango

Fuck yes F-Zero GX. Best racing game of last generation. No questions.

For some reason I can't think of any great exclusives, but get Spider-Man 2. It's pretty fantastic.
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

Samus Aran

An interesting Gamecube game that only a few other people around here have played is Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. It's kind of a mix between survival horror and puzzle-solving, although I can't say the game is "scary" so much as it is just very foreboding and creepy. It plays somewhat like an old RE game, in a way. The combat isn't the focus, but just a forewarning now - you may think the combat sucks...it kinda does, but you get used to it. Being able to target separate body parts is cool.

But the real catches are two things: the fucking awesome and highly Lovecraftian story (three evil god-like "ancients" essentially steering the fate of humanity in their favor, taking life as they see fit), and the "sanity" system. Basically, you have a sanity meter that goes down when you see zombies or anything "scary" (or do something morally horrendous, or other things too), and it only goes back by using the appropriate extremely Lovecraftian-sounding magic spell or by doing a finishing move on an enemy. The lower your sanity is, the more likely you are to hallucinate. Hallucinations range from small things like pictures on the walls changing or stone heads turning to watch you to mindfuck things like fake hardware problems with your TV and Gamecube, as well as weird things happening to the camera angle, your character, your enemies, etc. Sometimes the effects are fun, sometimes annoying - it's a very interesting grab-bag.

Oh, and there is no real "main character" for the most part...you play as different people through different generations of a few key locations, from the days of the Roman Empire all the way to the year 2000...all people connected by their experiences with the Ancients.

It's such a cool game, try it out. You can probably get it really cheap. The graphics may look really dated and the combat may seem dull, but it is such a unique and awesome game. Only for the Gamecube, too.

Other games I would personally recommend are Ikaruga, Tales of Symphonia, and the two Metroid Prime games. Can't think of any other essentials off the top of my head that you wouldn't already know about most likely.

Cookie

Cubivore, and Timesplitters is pretty fun on GCN. Also as Kaz said Eternal Darkness was a very enjoyable game.

Mando Pandango

Quote from: Lain on August 23, 2010, 03:30:44 PM
An interesting Gamecube game that only a few other people around here have played is Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem.
I almost said this because I've heard nothing but good things, but I've never played it myself

Quote from: Lain on August 23, 2010, 03:30:44 PMand the two Metroid Prime games.
Oh durr. Must-haves.

I'm the only human on Earth that preferred Echoes to MP1 but fuck you guys I enjoyed it.
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

rdl

echoes had good boss fights.

i would recommend starfox assault for the multiplayer. it's fun enough.

Nyerp

6M69I69B9

For somewhat of a long story, I suggest 'Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean' and 'Baten Kaitos Origins.'  'Baten Kaitos Origins' is in the past before Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean,' even though it was the second game.       

Also, maybe 'Viewtiful Joe' and 'Viewtiful Joe 2?'
Quote from: Travis on April 03, 2015, 10:52:52 PM
gotta eat the booty like groceries

Quote from: Travis on March 01, 2018, 08:44:39 PM
Quote from: reefer on March 01, 2018, 06:15:08 PM
Technology and globalism go hand and hand. If you want to be on the forefront of technology then you gotta be global

the earth is flat you globecuck

Hiro

August 24, 2010, 09:21:45 AM #10 Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 09:24:55 AM by Hïro
I think you might like Killer7. Other good choices would be Pikmin or Pikmin 2, Viewtiful Joe, Chibi-Robo, Custom Robo, and Paper Mario TTYD

Samus Aran

oh you might want to try skies of arcadia legend and phantasy star online episodes I and II

Hiro

Quote from: Lain on August 24, 2010, 09:27:37 AM
oh you might want to try skies of arcadia legend and phantasy star online episodes I and II
I might want to try these too
I bought skies of arcadia on dreamcast last year but the first disc won't work  :'(

Nyerp

YPrrrr

I think I've been spoiled by modern consoles because I couldn't stand phantasy star online when I played it last year

Go Up