July 08, 2024, 10:01:37 AM

1,531,276 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Plugged in my gamecube

Started by snorkel, August 23, 2010, 01:52:32 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Oh

I bought Timesplitters 2 knowing I had no Wii or gamecube. $5 for an amazing game is a great buy.  baddood;

strongbad

Quote from: Strongbib on August 24, 2010, 11:25:28 AM
I bought Timesplitters 2 knowing I had no Wii or gamecube. $5 for an amazing game is a great buy.  baddood;

send it to me
remember when I gifted you HL1
REMEMBER

snorkel

Quote from: Lain on August 23, 2010, 03:30:44 PM
An interesting Gamecube game that only a few other people around here have played is Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. It's kind of a mix between survival horror and puzzle-solving, although I can't say the game is "scary" so much as it is just very foreboding and creepy. It plays somewhat like an old RE game, in a way. The combat isn't the focus, but just a forewarning now - you may think the combat sucks...it kinda does, but you get used to it. Being able to target separate body parts is cool.

But the real catches are two things: the fucking awesome and highly Lovecraftian story (three evil god-like "ancients" essentially steering the fate of humanity in their favor, taking life as they see fit), and the "sanity" system. Basically, you have a sanity meter that goes down when you see zombies or anything "scary" (or do something morally horrendous, or other things too), and it only goes back by using the appropriate extremely Lovecraftian-sounding magic spell or by doing a finishing move on an enemy. The lower your sanity is, the more likely you are to hallucinate. Hallucinations range from small things like pictures on the walls changing or stone heads turning to watch you to mindfuck things like fake hardware problems with your TV and Gamecube, as well as weird things happening to the camera angle, your character, your enemies, etc. Sometimes the effects are fun, sometimes annoying - it's a very interesting grab-bag.

Oh, and there is no real "main character" for the most part...you play as different people through different generations of a few key locations, from the days of the Roman Empire all the way to the year 2000...all people connected by their experiences with the Ancients.

It's such a cool game, try it out. You can probably get it really cheap. The graphics may look really dated and the combat may seem dull, but it is such a unique and awesome game. Only for the Gamecube, too.

Other games I would personally recommend are Ikaruga, Tales of Symphonia, and the two Metroid Prime games. Can't think of any other essentials off the top of my head that you wouldn't already know about most likely.

oh cool. I remember seeing that game all the time but I never played it... that definitely sounds lovecraft-inspired, I'll pick it up.

Yes Ikaruga and Metroid Prime, forgot those. I personally hated ToS, Paper Mario TTYD and Phantasy Star Online weren't favorites either baddood;

Quote from: Original_MIB on August 23, 2010, 05:32:17 PM
For somewhat of a long story, I suggest 'Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean' and 'Baten Kaitos Origins.'  'Baten Kaitos Origins' is in the past before Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean,' even though it was the second game.       

Also, maybe 'Viewtiful Joe' and 'Viewtiful Joe 2?'

I played through both Baten Kaitos games when they came out, they were awesome, don't think I'd replay them though. Viewtiful Joe I never got into, maybe I'd like it now

rdl

I tried replaying Baten Kaitos, it was kind of hard due to the cheesiness of it all. The combat system was nifty the first time, but playing through it the second time I just didn't care for it.

Symphonia is fun for the combat, the plot is pretty painful.

Hiro

Quote from: FDR on August 24, 2010, 03:19:29 PM
I tried replaying Baten Kaitos, it was kind of hard due to the cheesiness of it all. The combat system was nifty the first time, but playing through it the second time I just didn't care for it.

Symphonia is fun for the combat, the plot is pretty painful.
The combat's repetitive as hell, so it doesn't really have that going for it either.  wariodood;

rdl

tempest tempest tempest sword rain alpha tiger blade bitch you're dead

i dunno i always loved that

Samus Aran

Quote from: Hïro on August 24, 2010, 03:56:04 PM
The combat's repetitive as hell, so it doesn't really have that going for it either.  wariodood;

how is it any more repetitive than a turn-based rpg? hint: it's not. at least you can create your own combos and style of fighting rather than "attack, watch animation"

Infel

If you get into Tales of Symphonia, then you can get a Ps1 and play fucking Tales of Eternia, because that game is even better.

OH WAIT WE LIVE IN THE WRONG CONTINENT IT'S TALES OF DESTINY 2

I FUCKING HATE HE-MAN

rdl

I feel like I'm the only one who still likes Abyss.

Samus Aran

Quote from: RTF on August 25, 2010, 10:18:26 PM
I feel like I'm the only one who still likes Abyss.

i know lots of people that like abyss

i haven't played it myself though

snorkel

Quote from: Lain on August 25, 2010, 06:14:46 PM
how is it any more repetitive than a turn-based rpg? hint: it's not. at least you can create your own combos and style of fighting rather than "attack, watch animation"

this proof is undone by the fact that Golden Sun is the greatest game, and is also a turn-based RPG.

Samus Aran

Quote from: wziard on August 26, 2010, 12:34:33 PM
this proof is undone by the fact that Golden Sun is the greatest game, and is also a turn-based RPG.

well i never said symphonia is better than any turn-based rpg...my favorite rpg is ff6 and that has very basic turn-based combat

Mando Pandango

Quote from: wziard on August 26, 2010, 12:34:33 PM

I don't even really like RPGs and I agree that Golden Sun is fantastic.
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

Infel

Golden Sun sucked in comparison to Tales of Phantasia.

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Cubivore is a game I always wanted to play but never did, find it and tell me if its good.

007 Nightfire is fun.

Also, pikmin, and kirby air ride

Go Up