July 08, 2024, 09:24:02 AM

1,531,276 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

ENGINEER UPDATE

Started by Mando Pandango, July 05, 2010, 01:37:21 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Mando Pandango

Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

[hedy]Zidone

lol valve

1. add blueprints for "uncrafting" refined and reclaimed metal
2. make golden wrench apparently obtainable whenever you craft something
3. people constantly uncraft and recraft their metals
4. remove blueprints

Also, the first guy to get a wrench no longer has it (but he's still on tf2items' list as having an unnumbered wrench) and is also VAC banned.

StarPilot

I'm just hoping the PDQ finally goes public. Frontier Justice seems like a weapon I won't use, but the other unrevealed weapons might work well with it so I don't know quite yet.

KonohaShinobi

FUCK! I want a golden wrench but I KNOW I will not get one! For some reason I have had 4 drops today ALL SCOTTISH RESISTANCE! So I'm going to craft all three of them tomorrow, at exactly 12 PM Noon EST, and hope for the best.

Mando Pandango

Quote from: KonohaShinobi on July 05, 2010, 09:43:40 PM
FUCK! I want a golden wrench but I KNOW I will not get one! For some reason I have had 4 drops today ALL SCOTTISH RESISTANCE! So I'm going to craft all three of them tomorrow, at exactly 12 PM Noon EST, and hope for the best.
Time has nothing to do with it. I've seen them drop at all kinds of different times.

Also it's been suggested that once the first 100 drop, they'll spread similarly to the gibus.
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

snorkel

I stopped playing this game, I need to start again  saddood;

KonohaShinobi

Quote from: Man of Popsicle on July 05, 2010, 09:53:56 PM
Time has nothing to do with it. I've seen them drop at all kinds of different times.

Also it's been suggested that once the first 100 drop, they'll spread similarly to the gibus.

I know, but noon seems like a good time.

It probably will be distributed, but being one of the first 100 getting your name etched into history as one of the first, is glorious!
Quote from: wziard on July 06, 2010, 02:39:20 AM
I stopped playing this game, I need to start again  saddood;
hell yeah you do.

StarPilot

Why are the new weapons making the Engie more dependent on his sentry? At this rate unless the final weapon is the PDQ or a similar variant, I'm just going to be running as a vanilla Engie post-update. No I don't care if I can take control of my sentry, enhancing its rate of fire and defences, if I can't still move around and watch my own fucking back from spies.

Oh well, at least having a new payload map is nice.

KonohaShinobi

July 06, 2010, 06:26:26 PM #8 Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 06:39:48 PM by KonohaShinobi
Quote from: StarPilot on July 06, 2010, 04:42:43 PM
Why are the new weapons making the Engie more dependent on his sentry? At this rate unless the final weapon is the PDQ or a similar variant, I'm just going to be running as a vanilla Engie post-update. No I don't care if I can take control of my sentry, enhancing its rate of fire and defences, if I can't still move around and watch my own fucking back from spies.

Oh well, at least having a new payload map is nice.

dude, your sentry will only be defenseless for THREE seconds after you switch from wrangler to your shotgun to spy check etc. Honestly, there wouldn't be a point of switching from wrangler unless everything is dead.

I like the wrangler, sounds like it's extremely situational and makes it possible for BATTLE ENGIE! Now engineers on Attack on Payload isn't so dumb! I guess the "personal robot" ideas were not too far off.

The only thing I don't get about the wrangler was the line "Sentry does not select it's own targets", so what, are you selecting?

Also, I crafted my three soldier items, just ended up with the solder token, no wrench...YET.

StarPilot

Quote from: KonohaShinobi on July 06, 2010, 06:26:26 PM
I like the wrangler, sounds like it's extremely situational and makes it possible for BATTLE ENGIE! Now engineers on Attack on Payload isn't so dumb! I guess the "personal robot" ideas were not too far off.
Pfft...lol. You clearly don't understand the concept of a battle engie. A battle engie attacks in tandem with his sentry, not having the sentry do everything as always. 2 parts of a whole that can deal with most enemies in a head to head shootout.

This is why I'm so interested in having something like the PDQ, it would lessen the build time greatly, allowing the sentry to be a valuable asset to all faster. Being a battle engie allows you to be more mobile while still having some area denial with a level 1 sentry.

Most players don't consider a level 1 sentry to be a threat, and that makes them all the more lethal. They're also smaller and quieter than the higher level sentries meaning they can stay up far longer than the other ones. The lack of the level 3 rocket pods also makes it harder to find as there isn't a fucking obvious smoke trail leading right back to it.

Yes, I am someone who plays Engineer a lot, and I hate turtling with Engies with a passion. Each sentry level has their own unique strategies, with level 1 sentries being a harassment tool that tend to be ignored, level 2 sentries having enough firepower to deal with small groups while still being tough to locate if in an unusual position, and level 3 sentries being a death cannon that has a stickybomb magnet installed standard.

As for the "Sentry doesn't select own targets", I would imagine you are the one controlling the sentry directly.

KonohaShinobi

Hey, I like how you think man, I just thought, level 1 sentry, no point in this, level 2, it's ok, but I gotta get to level 3 or get wrecked, level 3 NOW WE ARE IN BUSINESS. But yeah, I see your point about the rockets, NEVER thought of the levels in this way.

With how you think about the engineer, vanilla, I bet you will find SOME use for the wrangler. Then again, with the level 3 sentry's obvious smoke, you will probably hate the super obvious laser beam for targeting enemies.

Gotta join your games, man, definitely going to play some engineer like you do.

StarPilot

Quote from: KonohaShinobi on July 06, 2010, 06:54:09 PM
Hey, I like how you think man, I just thought, level 1 sentry, no point in this, level 2, it's ok, but I gotta get to level 3 or get wrecked, level 3 NOW WE ARE IN BUSINESS. But yeah, I see your point about the rockets, NEVER thought of the levels in this way.

With how you think about the engineer, vanilla, I bet you will find SOME use for the wrangler. Then again, with the level 3 sentry's obvious smoke, you will probably hate the super obvious laser beam for targeting enemies.

Gotta join your games, man, definitely going to play some engineer like you do.
I shall direct you to one of the videos that can show how to be more agressive and less campy. Like it is mentioned at one point in the video though, you can have some bad luck/timing and get rolled by a random pyro around a corner right when you start building. It's almost as old as the game itself, but is still pretty applicable because I've been in a payload game where a red engie did a similar thing and the team I was on couldn't even get close to the first checkpoint since it kept picking off everyone that was wounded. Well that and we had a pair of Medics that would Ubercharge themselves and charge into battle with their Ubersaws, being not kredit to teem.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYsZ3tLpVMs&fmt=18[/youtube]

spaceman

StarPilot

http://www.teamfortress.com/engineerupdate/handyman/

HEY GUYS LOOK WHAT I INVENTED, A ROBOTIC HAND TO REPLACE YOUR REAL ONE!! (blood still dripping from wound)
WHO WANTS A PINT OF BLU STREAK BEER?

Mando Pandango

Wrench 99 just dropped.

HHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Go Up