October 07, 2024, 01:27:35 PM

1,531,325 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

i'm desensitized yay

Started by ??????, December 02, 2009, 03:38:40 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

?????

Fuck, just admit you're wrong and get on with your life. Please, hun. :)
Die for Dethklok

Mando Pandango

holy god jesus fuck just shut the hell up already every single one of you before i blow my fucking brains out

smithicide;
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

the shortest route to the sea

Quote from: TheSequel on December 05, 2009, 10:29:35 PM
Fuck, just admit you're wrong and get on with your life. Please, hun. :)

It is a tenuous issue, and Slim has a lot of good points. But I think I have a strong enough basis to convince myself after that, and so unless Socks blows me away, I think I'm staying where I am.

Quote from: Socks on January 03, 2011, 09:56:24 PM
pompous talk for my eyes water and quiver with a twitch like a little bitch

?????

Quote from: Alyssa the Glowing Sole on December 05, 2009, 10:32:39 PM
It is a tenuous issue, and Slim has a lot of good points. But I think I have a strong enough basis to convince myself after that, and so unless Socks blows me away, I think I'm staying where I am.
You're going to give into ignorance? Why the hell would you do that to yourself? Are you trolling or something?
Die for Dethklok

Slim

Quote from: Alyssa the Glowing Sole on December 06, 2009, 05:35:39 AM
*long post*

You haven't been raised in a sexualized culture with a double-standard of sexuality so ingrained for the male and female that you can be pushed up against the wall and kissed against your will, be fondled or groped, be forced to suck or lick, or having those most vital parts in, and be encouraged to keep silent; but that's irrelevant. Far more relevant is that you haven't even tried to listen to the men and women who have been sexually assaulted (assuming that as an umbrella term) talk about what the word rape means to them. You haven't even tried to find a connotation that is relevant to the experiences of any man or woman who has this as part of their daily reality. It's nice to talk about the definition of rape in a world far away from it. I'm not saying that there's a consensus among the victims; far from it. There is a spectrum of responses, ranging from the most trivial, the most denotative and literalst (like you), and the most liberal. You don't have to accept whatever spectrum of possible definitions come out of that part; but to claim as firm a position on it without listening to them, trying to convince someone who is trying their best to listen, is just blindness. You owe openness then you're giving here.

*long post*

Alright, I don't feel like responding point-by-point and rehashing the same things over again; there's doesn't seem to be too much more to say.

Listen, the bottom line is that you prefer some niche, feminist redefining of the term whereas I prefer the actual, established definition. Much of your argument seems to depend on emotion: "you haven't been raised in a sexualized culture where..." "you haven't even tried to find a connotation that is relevant..." "It's nice to talk about the definition of rape in a world far away from it." This simply is not the manner in which I see things. I was unaware that being the victim of a sex crime meant that one suddenly gets to have more sway over what the definition of 'rape' is; I fail to see why their views would be relevant to the definition at all, to be honest. I don't find these emotional arguments persuasive since they falter logically, as all emotional arguments do. You see, this discussion isn't a competition over who can feel more compassion, as you seem to think it is. I assure you that I would be unmoved no matter how many rape victims (and so-called 'rape' victims) I were to talk to, no matter how much I got to know the reality of the situation (as you apparently already do), and would remain steadfast in my opinion of what constitutes rape. That's the difference between you and me, I suppose.

One more thing: I have a question for you. If someone were to ask you if clucky got raped, based on what happened in her story, would you seriously say 'yes' to their question? If so, don't you think that would be a tad sensationalistic and disingenuous?
Quote from: Snowy Deluxe on July 07, 2011, 04:05:09 PM
Hey look I'm Slim and I act like an asshole because it makes me cool! Right guys?

Veal

?????

Quote from: Veal on December 05, 2009, 10:46:35 PM
Wait, Pqqu raped Clucky?
No, no, no, no, no, no. You got it all wrong. Hermione married Ron, and Harry Potter married Ron's sister.
Die for Dethklok

Alright, I don't feel like responding point-by-point and rehashing the same things over again; there's doesn't seem to be too much more to say.[/quote]

Good call.

QuoteListen, the bottom line is that you prefer some niche, feminist redefining of the term whereas I prefer the actual, established definition. Much of your argument seems to depend on emotion: "you haven't been raised in a sexualized culture where..." "you haven't even tried to find a connotation that is relevant..." "It's nice to talk about the definition of rape in a world far away from it." This simply is not the manner in which I see things. I was unaware that being the victim of a sex crime meant that one suddenly gets to have more sway over what the definition of 'rape' is; I fail to see why their views would be relevant to the definition at all, to be honest. I don't find these emotional arguments persuasive since they falter logically, as all emotional arguments do. You see, this discussion isn't a competition over who can feel more compassion, as you seem to think it is. I assure you that I would be unmoved no matter how many rape victims (and so-called 'rape' victims) I were to talk to, no matter how much I got to know the reality of the situation (as you apparently already do), and would remain steadfast in my opinion of what constitutes rape. That's the difference between you and me, I suppose.

Ok. This is good, no. I like this: we listen to each other and here's where we are. You paint a very good point that the definition has a niche; despite any establishment, it has not entered the minds of many people. And a lot of feminist theory (which I'm rooted in) contains both emotional elements and somewhat radical counter-theory. Do I think that they're right? Yes. But only a slowly growing number are with me. But we speak different languages, and you're right on a lot of points both in my language and in yours.

Thank you, Slim, that was great.

QuoteOne more thing: I have a question for you. If someone were to ask you if clucky got raped, based on what happened in her story, would you seriously say 'yes' to their question? If so, don't you think that would be a tad sensationalistic and disingenuous?

Sensationalistic? Yes. But that's what I believe in.

Disingenuous? Hmm...it would be somewhat misleading to someone (which is most people) that I know who don't use the definition I use. Depending on how well I knew them, I would talk about what happened, and say "It was not statuatory rape, since there was no penetration; I view it as a rape because those are my views, but you could also call it sexual abuse and  have right in saying so." If it was a passerby, I'd say "Sexual assault," because I don't want their casual truth to be taken away from my interpretation when the point is factual.

?????

I'll get the Catholic priest to pray for you Alyssa. You poor, poor soul. How could you have been so misguided.

Also, as far as I know most major cultures regarded females as inferiors. Coincidence?
Die for Dethklok

Veal

Quote from: TheSequel on December 05, 2009, 10:48:14 PM
No, no, no, no, no, no. You got it all wrong. Hermione married Ron, and Harry Potter married Ron's sister.

But she's a redhead...

?????

Die for Dethklok

Veal

Quote from: TheSequel on December 05, 2009, 10:53:03 PM
What are you trying to say?

That she's an abomination to nature and must be destroyed.

Quote from: TheSequel on December 05, 2009, 10:51:34 PM
I'll get the Catholic priest to pray for you Alyssa. You poor, poor soul. How could you have been so misguided.

Also, as far as I know most major cultures regarded females as inferiors. Coincidence?

The greeks did it the best: they hated women and loved lots of gay sex.

Then the Christians came along and were like "no homo"

and they were like

"awwwwww"

Daddy

Alternative question. What if the actions in the OP were to happen to a guy?

What would that constitute?

?????

Quote from: JMV on December 05, 2009, 10:56:18 PM
Alternative question. What if the actions in the OP were to happen to a guy?

What would that constitute?
Hot steamy sex.

Quote from: Alyssa the Glowing Sole on December 05, 2009, 10:55:34 PM
The greeks did it the best: they hated women and loved lots of gay sex.

Then the Christians came along and were like "no homo"

and they were like

"awwwwww"
I was trying to get at females being physically (strength) inferior, but okay. :)

Quote from: Veal on December 05, 2009, 10:54:06 PM
That she's an abomination to nature and must be destroyed.
But, she survived Voldemort.
Die for Dethklok

Go Up