July 07, 2024, 07:30:32 AM

1,531,274 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Educate me.

Started by Det in F♯ Major, March 10, 2009, 03:46:45 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Det in F♯ Major

School of Rock highly interested me in beginning to listen to bands like Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, etf. Smashing Pumpkins too, but something tells me they don't belong in the same sentence as those two. I'm kind of drawing a blank so if you think of any more suggestions, post them. ;)
Quote from: Khadafi on February 02, 2011, 03:17:34 PM
BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW

YPrrrr

Smashing Pumpkins don't, and their singer has a horrible voice.

I'd suggest the Grateful Red to go with the other two, although I'm not the biggest fan of Zepplin

Lozal

If you mean stuff more like Pink Floyd (progressive), try Emerson, Lake & Palmer and Yes.

Best stuff out there. :3
powerofone; powerofone; powerofone; powerofone; powerofone;

Quote from: Pyrate on November 20, 2009, 05:11:08 AM

"You have an amazing body. You have amazing breasts."

Samus Aran

Quote from: Lozal. on March 10, 2009, 09:38:00 PM
If you mean stuff more like Pink Floyd (progressive), try Emerson, Lake & Palmer and Yes.

Best stuff out there. :3

Wrong.

King Crimson is better than both Yes and ELP, as is Genesis' progressive work.

Geno

What why school of rock
Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 04, 2014, 10:31:27 PM
geno i swear to fucking god silvertone and i are going to board you up in your house and have the world's greatest goddamn boyager meetup right next door and put burning bags of dog shit in front of all of your windows and doors and your house will smell like dog shit but you won't be able to extinguish the flames and you'll choke and die on dog shit fumes. what made you will also kill you.

i am throwing down 5 god DAMN dollars geno i will go out and collect the dog shit myself this is fucking happening jesus fucking christ

i'll give you an upperdecker with dog shit and don't you fucking doubt it for one little second you fat bastard

thezerofire

Det in F♯ Major

Kaz suggest me more stuff, I trust you most in this area of expertise.
BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW

Samus Aran

Quote from: Det in Fââ,,¢Â¯ on March 11, 2009, 03:37:15 PM
Kaz suggest me more stuff, I trust you most in this area of expertise.

Well, I'm not entirely sure what you want. There are some obligatory "great rock bands" that basically everyone should try, like The Beatles of course. But instead I'm going to suggest based on the genres of Led Zepp, Pink Floyd, and The Smashing Pumpkins, since those are the bands you mentioned.

First of all, if you like Led Zepp's typical stuff, which is hard blues rock, you may also want to check out Cream, Derek and the Dominos, The Black Keys, Taste (kind of hard to find), Humble Pie, and Rory Gallagher. Also related is Deep Purple, though less with the blues and more with the hard rock.

When it comes to bands similar to Pink Floyd, it's kind of hard to pick any that are all that close. Progressive rock is hugely variant in different sounds. Pink Floyd doesn't sound anything like Rush, but they're both progressive. Regardless, try King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, Jethro Tull, ELP, and Porcupine Tree.

As for the Smashing Pumpkins, you could list a lot of 90s alternative bands. To put things simply, try out Queens of the Stone Age, Audioslave, and some grunge stuff maybe like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden.

Other random stuff you should definitely try:

The Who
Radiohead (progressive and alternative, in different stages)
Some indie bands, preferably Pinback to start with. They're very accessible.

Det in F♯ Major

okay thanks
ill probably be browsing everyones last.fms for more stuff <3
(of which i am almost at 10,000; 9998 right now)

The artist formally known

Just listen to your local classic rock station, pick out artists you're found of and explore.

Samus Aran

Quote from: reefer on March 11, 2009, 09:07:36 PM
Just listen to your local classic rock station, pick out artists you're found of and explore.

That's somewhat a good suggestion as well, at least to start with. I would also suggest abandoning radios shortly afterward though.

sans culottes

March 11, 2009, 10:41:03 PM #12 Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 10:46:22 PM by coz
Quote from: reefer on March 11, 2009, 09:07:36 PM

It can depend on the station. I listen to a lot of music that isn't classic rock, but the only radio stations I listen to are Dallas's two classic rock stations simply because I'll enjoy most of the music. One's great and they play all the great rock n' roll acts and then some, but the other will throw in awful music like Def Leppard. Still a great idea, though. It expands taste pretty well. Kaz said to abandon radios, but I disagree. When I need some music and don't wanna concern changing the song every second, I put on the aforementioned good station for this, and am doing it right now, but I suppose a classic rock station with a strong reverence of the blues and other roots is rare.

Additionally, I'd try pandora.com. I find it better than Last.FM for finding new music as you listen. I didn't really care about music much until I was around 13, when I decided the classic rock bands were pretty cool. I can thank Pandora for a shitload of my music.

It's hard to give a lot of specific suggestions to you. Kaz made a good point about prog. I love Pink Floyd and also enjoy Radiohead and Rush, but I'm not a big fan of most prog. I can listen to Pink Floyd play Echoes for 23 minutes and have a soundgasm, but go "w/e" to an elaborate Yes composition. Classic rock of the 70's is similar and different simultaneously, so specific suggestions can fail.
I support BUSH

me003

bitch get your booty back in the club.  baddood;
Quote from: reefer on November 29, 2007, 11:32:08 PM
No offense to her but she kinda doesn't know crap about shit

Lozal

Quote from: Kaz on March 10, 2009, 09:56:13 PM
Wrong.

King Crimson is better than both Yes and ELP, as is Genesis' progressive work.
ELP>>>>>Yes>>>King Crimson>Genesis

At least in my opinion. :[
powerofone; powerofone; powerofone; powerofone; powerofone;

Quote from: Pyrate on November 20, 2009, 05:11:08 AM

"You have an amazing body. You have amazing breasts."

Go Up