July 07, 2024, 07:23:59 AM

1,531,274 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Educate me.

Started by Det in F♯ Major, March 10, 2009, 03:46:45 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Det in F♯ Major

Quote from: steal on March 18, 2009, 02:00:15 PM
ok cool thumbup;

are those good CDs or is there anything else...?

Same for all bands in this topic, everyone.
Like what CDs should I get for Led Zep, Rush, the Beatles, etc.
Quote from: Khadafi on February 02, 2011, 03:17:34 PM
BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW

Samus Aran

Quote from: Det in Fââ,,¢Â¯ Major on March 18, 2009, 03:14:51 PM
are those good CDs or is there anything else...?

Same for all bands in this topic, everyone.
Like what CDs should I get for Led Zep, Rush, the Beatles, etc.

For Led Zepp, start with either their debut album or the unnamed album (I call it Led Zeppelin IV). One is the quintessential blues rock album for them, and the other is the quintessential "Stairway to Heaven" of course.

For The Beatles, it depends on if you're more into their early, simple love pop stuff or their later, more expansive material that includes songs that are actually about things other than girls. You know, submarines and walruses and Jude and norwegian woods and strawberry fields and such. I much prefer their later material, and the best place to start with that is of course Sgt. Pepper, since it's kinda the huge album for them in that time...but also essential are Revolver and Abbey Road. The White Album and Rubber Soul as well but to a lesser extent.

For Rush, start with Moving Pictures. Simple as that. If you like it, try any of their other stuff in pretty much any order, because it's hard to really pick anything other than Moving Pictures as a starting point.

Det in F♯ Major

okay so i have a huge stack of CDs here i got from one of his racks:

(ps, he has a lot of 'best of', 'greatest hits' CDs :/)

AC/DC: Who Made Who (everyone says they suck, but i want to see for myself)
Black Sabbath: We Sold Our Soul for Rock 'n' Roll
Black Sabbath: Heaven and Hell
Black Sabbath: Reunion
Blondie: The Best of Blondie
Deep Purple: Machine Head
Deep Purple: Who Do We Think We Are!
The Best of Earth, Wind & Fire: Volumes I and II
Genesis: Invisible Touch
Genesis: Turn It On Again - The Hits
Jethro Tull: Thick as a Brick
Jethro Tull: Original Masters
Led Zeppelin: Early Days
Led Zeppelin: Latter Days
Phil Collins: Hits
Rush: A Show of Hands
The Who: Who's Next
The Who: My Generation - The Very Best of the Who
Yes: Close to the Edge
BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW

Samus Aran

well it's a good start nonetheless, except for him only having Show of Hands for Rush

Thick as a Brick also isn't a good starting point for Jethro Tull because the whole album is one song and you might not like it much if you haven't already enjoyed Aqualung

also wtf at not having Paranoid for Black Sabbath and also i don't really think AC/DC sucks but they're not all that great, just so-so

Det in F♯ Major

Quote from: Kaz on March 18, 2009, 04:21:35 PM
well it's a good start nonetheless, except for him only having Show of Hands for Rush

Thick as a Brick also isn't a good starting point for Jethro Tull because the whole album is one song and you might not like it much if you haven't already enjoyed Aqualung

also wtf at not having Paranoid for Black Sabbath and also i don't really think AC/DC sucks but they're not all that great, just so-so

he might have those in another rack, i just didn't want to take too many CDs out at a time and then forget where they went

oh, not to mention since he grew up when all these bands were coming about, he has the vinyls for them and he listens to them on a record player :)
so he probably has all the good stuff on records

Det in F♯ Major

okay so i found pink floyd - pulse (live), rush - chronicles, yes - yessongs, keys to ascension, and fragile

Hiro

Rush is my dad's favorite band  n_u

sans culottes

If you listen to Who Made Who, you're going to think AC/DC sucks. Go with their 70's albums, I'd start with Highway To Hell. Anyone who seriously thinks early AC/DC sucks is either an asswipe or a dull person.
I support BUSH

Lozal

I love Yes. Fragile kicks ass.

Get out Tarkus and Brain Salad Surgery by ELP.
powerofone; powerofone; powerofone; powerofone; powerofone;

Quote from: Pyrate on November 20, 2009, 05:11:08 AM

"You have an amazing body. You have amazing breasts."

Samus Aran

Quote from: coz on March 20, 2009, 09:27:41 AM
If you listen to Who Made Who, you're going to think AC/DC sucks. Go with their 70's albums, I'd start with Highway To Hell. Anyone who seriously thinks early AC/DC sucks is either an asswipe or a dull person.

I hope when you say their 70s albums you're making an exception for 1980's Back in Black, considering that it's pretty much just as good as Highway to Hell.

sans culottes

Quote from: Kaz on March 21, 2009, 11:31:34 PM
I hope when you say their 70s albums you're making an exception for 1980's Back in Black, considering that it's pretty much just as good as Highway to Hell.

Oh yeah, Back in Black is good, I forgot to mention that. But everything after it was really mediocre.
I support BUSH

Go Up