so that i don't feel like the only one who's watching animu around here

Started by Samus Aran, October 16, 2008, 01:39:26 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

What animu have you tried recently?

As some of you already know, I watched all of BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad recently. It's fucking great. I've also started watching Love Hina (long overdue) and Shakugan no Shana. And just last night I decided to give Gantz a try since it seems to be such a hotly debated and mildly controversial anime.

I can't really say I like Love Hina a whole lot yet, but maybe that's just because the fact that I've seen other animes that were inspired by it...so everything seems rehashed, you know? The ecchi moments, girls jumping to conclusions and beating the living shit out of an accidental peeping tom, etc.

Shakugan no Shana is...interesting. Can't say much yet. Only watched two episodes so far. It seems extremely dark for being so cute on the surface.

Gantz...whoa. Mindfuck. Hard to follow, fragmented, completely perverted in all meanings of the word. Lots of nudity, over-the-top gore, etc. The entire premise is unoriginal and pretentious, much like the character it revolves around, some selfish prick who doesn't give two shits about anyone else. But for some reason I find myself liking it somewhat. Some parts are terribly boring and seemingly irrelevant, and I'm not sure I appreciate hearing everyone's thoughts so often. Also, a warning: this anime is extremely depressing and depraved. It constantly plays on the idea that humans are, at the core, despicable beings who'd rather see someone die than help them, at first impulse.

The spy who loves you

i havent tried anything lately but I have been watching a lot of Case closed/ Detective Conan.

YPrrrr

Placebo Headwound

Samus Aran

Quote from: Thief888 on October 16, 2008, 01:48:41 PM
I need to watch Beck. befuddlement

yes thumbup;

It's one of the best stories about music I've seen in a long time. And the music is actually pretty damn good too. Watch the dub, because there's a lot of English even in the original Japanese version, but the problem is that the English they try to speak is awful. Plus, they sing in English, and since the music is there so often, it makes more sense to hear it in good English rather than Engrish. One of the best dubs ever.

KonohaShinobi

What I have recently been watching:
MS Gundam: 08th Team- finished it within 2 days(the weekend), only about 24 episodes, was pretty good, I remembered seeing it on TV a long time ago and I never really got into it nor finished it until recently. It seemed like a really westernized Gundam (Vietnam war + Gundam what the hell?) but some how it works, and it works well.

Hellsing Ultimate OVAs- amazing, this is the true way to watch a Hellsing anime, the original series was alright, but for some reason it seemed to stretch, where as the little hour to hour and a half Hellsing OVAs were straight to the point and full of blood and gore, how I like it.

Boogiepop Phantom- cool concept, but the odd stories and how they are not connected is a little weird. It's alright, but I'm only half way into the series so maybe it will get better, but right now it's decent.

Gundam 00- only watched the first two episodes of the first season, pretty cool, I really want to finish it but I've been busy with other things

Clannad- from watching the first episode, it looks alright, not sure if I want to finish it though

Gurren Lagann- I have been watching the dub on Sci-Fi and it is pretty good, probably my favorite of the anime I have listed in this post

GANTZ-I completely agree with your opinions, a really cool, but dark, anime

Also stuff I have but have not watched yet/stopped watching for a while: Gundam Wing and Welcome to the NHK(I really need to finish this)
Quote from: ThunderKaz on October 16, 2008, 01:51:03 PM
yes thumbup;

It's one of the best stories about music I've seen in a long time. And the music is actually pretty damn good too. Watch the dub, because there's a lot of English even in the original Japanese version, but the problem is that the English they try to speak is awful. Plus, they sing in English, and since the music is there so often, it makes more sense to hear it in good English rather than Engrish. One of the best dubs ever.

I have been meaning to watch Beck, now I really want to see it.

Hiro

Haven't watched any anime recently but I feel like watching FLCL again

me003

I watched Ouran Host Club which was awesome, but it had some gay parts.
Then I started Monster which is FUCKING AWESOME, you should check it out but it takes about 10 episodes to get into.

Then the regulars
Bleach
Death Note
and Naruto, but I don't watch Naruto anymore.
Quote from: reefer on November 29, 2007, 11:32:08 PM
No offense to her but she kinda doesn't know crap about shit

Blaze-Senpai

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Blaze-San <-There you go.

Tales of the Abyss is a remake of a game, and in that respect, it's very good so far, though its only 3 episodes in.
Kyouran kazoku Nikki is.... like, really random. Think Haruhi Suzumiya, but ablut 3/4ths as awesome (being honest) and a bit more characters overall. Its fun one moment and serious the next, and it's well intertwined, though I've heard the serious/fun switches can be a bit jarring, I haven't noticed it.

Samus Aran

Quote from: KonohaShinobi on October 17, 2008, 11:54:04 AM
what's wrong with DBZ?

It's kinda shitty. doodthing;

Dragonball was far superior but neither of them are anywhere near my favorites, still.

the shortest route to the sea

Uh...watched Black Lagoon and Higurashi a while ago, but I haven't gotten around to seeing anything else recently. I kind of feel like popping in Serial Experiments Lain or Outlaw Star...I would watch Samurai Champloo, but my laptop can't handle matroska files and I don't feel like retorrenting.

Quote from: Socks on January 03, 2011, 09:56:24 PM
pompous talk for my eyes water and quiver with a twitch like a little bitch

Houdini

Azumanga Daioh. It's pretty good, especially compared to the other stuff I've seen.

Go Up