Started by Selkie, June 01, 2008, 02:07:59 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Houdini

sans culottes

Quote from: skylark-e on June 05, 2008, 10:45:27 AM
Crass, Discharge, Leftover Crack, Disarm, Reagan Youth
would be the bigger ones.

Only of those bands I really care much for is Crass, different punk tastes I guess. I've always preferred bands like Black Flag and the Sex Pistols, I guess you could call those among the most popular bands in the genre.
Quote from: 36 on June 05, 2008, 11:16:24 AM
Hard Rock is god awful.

Depends on what 'hard rock' refers to.
I support BUSH

Skylark

Black Flag is a good band and I do like a lot of new punk but I just don't respect the Sex Pistols whatsoever.
I also really don't like the crowd that generally likes the Sex Pistols. Yeah, ya like punk but do you know what it means? Punk is so much more than a genre of music and that's why I don't have respect for a lot of "punk" bands.

"Choose DIY and wondering who you are on a Sunday morning"

the book of right on

Houdini

Quote from: skylark-e on June 05, 2008, 01:34:05 PM
I just don't respect the Sex Pistols whatsoever. I also really don't like the crowd that generally likes the Sex Pistols. Yeah, ya like punk but do you know what it means?
If you're a Sex Pistols fan, punk means dying your hair with Kool Aid and putting spiking it with super glue while wearing a leather jacket covered in patches displaying the logos of bands you don't listen to.

Skylark

I agree with you. I don't like/respect the Sex Pistols and what they stand up for.

I love/respect Crass and what they stand up for.
the book of right on

sans culottes

A lot of Sex Pistol fans are just "posers".  There's plenty of dipshits who know the Sex Pistols and the Ramones, but do they listen to bands like the Circle Jerks?

Also, the Sex Pistols do deserve some respect. A lot of bands wouldn't be playing punk if it weren't for the Sex Pistols, and the style wouldn't've got much recognition. They left a big impact to music of the future.

It's sort of like Elvis. They didn't create punk and weren't the best band to play it. But they gave the genre a lot of popularity, and punk had a huge effect on a lot of music.
I support BUSH

Skylark

the book of right on

sans culottes

Quote from: skylark-e on June 05, 2008, 04:34:01 PM
Punk isn't about popularity.

It isn't, of course not.

But if the Sex Pistols didn't make popular for a couple years, the genre would've remained very, very, underground, and a lot of later punk bands might've never existed.
I support BUSH

Houdini

Quote from: Co-Z on June 05, 2008, 04:31:28 PM
A lot of Sex Pistol fans are just "posers".  There's plenty of dipshits who know the Sex Pistols and the Ramones, but do they listen to bands like the Circle Jerks?
I almost saw the Circle Jerks once.

Quote from: Co-Z on June 05, 2008, 04:31:28 PM
It's sort of like Elvis. They didn't create punk and weren't the best band to play it. But they gave the genre a lot of popularity, and punk had a huge effect on a lot of music.
But ultimately, it's the Chuck Berrys and Bo Diddleys that really deserve respect.

sans culottes

Quote from: houdini on June 05, 2008, 04:51:05 PM
I almost saw the Circle Jerks once.

That woulda been sweet.
QuoteBut ultimately, it's the Chuck Berrys and Bo Diddleys that really deserve respect.

Definitely. But if a white guy didn't come in and introduce rock n' roll to everyone, music's development could be behind by many years.

Besides them having dumb fans and being popular, what do you guys hate about the Sex Pistols?
I support BUSH

Houdini

Quote from: Co-Z on June 05, 2008, 04:53:35 PM
Besides them having dumb fans and being popular, what do you guys hate about the Sex Pistols?
I don't hate the Sex Pistols. I bought their album years ago. It's just that the songs aren't very well written.

Skylark

They just seem to be all hype and propaganda and what I know about them (have heard, read about them) their music/beliefs didn't really seem important (and on their beliefs that doesn't show in their music... which is something I look for, except for that "Anarchy in the UK" bullshit). To me they just seem to be talentless (in every aspect).

And I can't stand Sid Vicious.
the book of right on

sans culottes

Quote from: houdini on June 05, 2008, 05:06:12 PM
I don't hate the Sex Pistols. I bought their album years ago. It's just that the songs aren't very well written.

Nevermind the Bollocks doesn't have any song that's terrible, they're all rather good. Some of them could use improvement. Still gotta enjoy sweet tunes like Pretty Vacant and God Save The Queen.
Quote from: skylark-e on June 05, 2008, 05:06:32 PM
They just seem to be all hype and propaganda and what I know about them (have heard, read about them) their music/beliefs didn't really seem important (and on their beliefs that doesn't show in their music... which is something I look for, except for that "Anarchy in the UK" bullshit). To me they just seem to be talentless (in every aspect).

And I can't stand Sid Vicious.

Every band that's popular is hyped and overrated. The Beatles are among the best bands ever, but there's also a lot of unneccessary praise for them. And their beliefs aren't completely reflected in their music. Anarchy in the UK is meaningless, it's not a cry for anarchy, it's all shock value. There's also satire in some songs. Really, they weren't as political as other punk bands, they were just a bunch of wild young Brits.

And I agree on Sid Vicious. Fucking hate that guy.
I support BUSH

Go Up