September 29, 2024, 02:22:28 PM

1,531,325 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

For those of you who listen to electronic music

Started by Samus Aran, March 05, 2008, 09:56:41 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

I recently started listening to some trance stuff, because it's my favorite style of electronic music. Specifically, I prefer easy-listening trance. Some of ATB's stuff is really enjoyable for me.

So do any of you listen to trance, particularly the kind that isn't made for dancing to? If so, I'd like some recommendations, for I'm just a poor rock n' roll boy with pretty much no knowledge of electronic music.

The artist formally known

Aphex Twin. This is all you need to listen to.

Richard D James Album.

Squirtlejazz

iSnake

Samus Aran

YPrrrr

Try Royksopp... some of their stuff is pretty nice

Houdini

They're not trance, but Boards of Canada are my favorite electronic group.

LINK2K9

XTRMNTR by Primal Scream, not really trance (though I suppose Keep Your Dreams could be considered trance/dream pop), but an excellent electronic/rock album.

lol lara lol

Samus Aran

Quote from: Houdini on March 06, 2008, 06:02:32 PM
They're not trance, but Boards of Canada are my favorite electronic group.

Any quick suggestions of songs by them you particularly like? I'm downloading some stuff by them right now to try them out.

Everything You Do is a Balloon
Music is Math

Out of those three, I like "Everything You Do is a Balloon" the most.

Quote from: reefer on March 05, 2008, 10:38:25 PM
Aphex Twin. This is all you need to listen to.

Richard D James Album.

The problem with Aphex Twin is that P2P is very unfaithful to Richard James. All his aliases and a bunch of other random artists nobody's heard of that might possibly be him but nobody really knows are slapped together and for some tracks it takes fucking ages to find out what's by him and what isn't.

I do have a few songs that I know for sure are by him though.

Didgeridoo
Come to Daddy, Pappy Mix
Come to Daddy, Little Lord Faulteroy Mix
Come to Daddy, Mummy Mix
Bucephalus Bouncing Ball
Flim
19 (commonly referred to as "stone in focus.")
Milkman
Fingerbib

Pretty good stuff overall, though the tracks from Who's Your Daddy are a bit weak, especially the most famous version, which is of course the Pappy Mix.

I'm considering picking up the Richard D. James album sometime.

I don't listen to that song so yeah, just random tracks but I know most of the Richard album and love it.

Houdini

Quote from: Kazanova on March 12, 2008, 01:10:20 AM
Any quick suggestions of songs by them you particularly like? I'm downloading some stuff by them right now to try them out.

Everything You Do is a Balloon
Music is Math

Out of those three, I like "Everything You Do is a Balloon" the most.
All of their songs are good. You could just close your eyes and click random songs and end up with a good batch, in all likelihood.

The problem with Aphex Twin is that P2P is very unfaithful to Richard James. All his aliases and a bunch of other random artists nobody's heard of that might possibly be him but nobody really knows are slapped together and for some tracks it takes fucking ages to find out what's by him and what isn't.

I do have a few songs that I know for sure are by him though.

Didgeridoo
Come to Daddy, Pappy Mix
Come to Daddy, Little Lord Faulteroy Mix
Come to Daddy, Mummy Mix
Bucephalus Bouncing Ball
Flim
19 (commonly referred to as "stone in focus.")
Milkman
Fingerbib

Pretty good stuff overall, though the tracks from Who's Your Daddy are a bit weak, especially the most famous version, which is of course the Pappy Mix.
It's Come To Daddy, actually, but yeah, the only track from that one I really like is Flim.

I'm considering picking up the Richard D. James album sometime.
That's probably the best place to start. I like that whole album. Selected Ambient Works 85-92 is also really good, assuming you like ambient music.

Samus Aran

Quote from: Houdini on March 12, 2008, 11:28:09 AM
It's Come To Daddy, actually, but yeah, the only track from that one I really like is Flim.

I was listening to "Time of the Season" by The Zombies when I wrote that so the phrase "Who's your Daddy?" was in my head.

Quote from: Houdini on March 12, 2008, 11:28:09 AM
That's probably the best place to start. I like that whole album. Selected Ambient Works 85-92 is also really good, assuming you like ambient music.

Yes, I like ambient music much more than electronic "experiments" like "Bucephalus Bouncing Ball" and such. Like I said, easy-listening trance is my favorite type of electronic to listen to.

Houdini

Quote from: Kazanova on March 12, 2008, 11:34:50 AM

Yes, I like ambient music much more than electronic "experiments" like "Bucephalus Bouncing Ball" and such. Like I said, easy-listening trance is my favorite type of electronic to listen to.
Selected Ambient Works 85-92 and Selected Ambient Works Vol. II should be right up your alley, then.

me003

You will love me after hearing this tune.
http://www.youtube.com/v/PLlYWNg65ls&hl=en

And here's the link to a full download of Selected Ambient Works Vol.  II because I feel sorry for you P2P users.

http://rapidshare.com/files/9287285/SelAmbII-1.rar.html

Also Air is really good ambient downtempo, as well as Boards of Canada.

Air
http://www.youtube.com/v/YkgfmWfJ11s&hl=en
Quote from: reefer on November 29, 2007, 11:32:08 PM
No offense to her but she kinda doesn't know crap about shit

me003

Also I believe that anyone who likes electro music should listen to this. It's electro house, so it's straying away from the trance, don't let the repetitive drumbeat turn you away. Skip to 3:20 for the actual good part of the song.
http://www.youtube.com/v/-D5m_gpEpP0&hl=en
Quote from: reefer on November 29, 2007, 11:32:08 PM
No offense to her but she kinda doesn't know crap about shit

Quote from: MethreE on March 12, 2008, 11:49:19 PM
Also I believe that anyone who likes electro music should listen to this. It's electro house, so it's straying away from the trance, don't let the repetitive drumbeat turn you away. Skip to 3:20 for the actual good part of the song.
http://www.youtube.com/v/-D5m_gpEpP0&hl=en
the insane electronic drums is what makes me like Apex Twin.

sorry

Go Up