May 28, 2024, 03:47:42 PM

1,531,629 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Started by Snowy, October 28, 2010, 05:48:16 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Daddy

Quote from: Socks on October 28, 2010, 08:09:30 PM
appropriate standards of evidence. in other words, common sense. fairies and pixies do not apply, as their abstract services are rather meaningless.  
thor
yahweh
krishna
færies

what are the standards of evidence and common sense required for some that aren't for others

Socks

Quote from: Khadafi on October 28, 2010, 08:17:04 PM
what are the standards of evidence and common sense required for some that aren't for others

i have no intention of arguing this matter with you, so i'll simply clarify my previous statement. when one thinks of the divine, the fundamental reason for doing so is to ponder creation--our genesis. in this sense we cannot escape our reality, of beginning and end, but we can wonder where that rule came from and why it is here. you cannot deny that this is a powerful and meaningful question, not limited to the domain of any practice. unless the possible existence of fairies serves some similar function, they are nothing more than theoretical phantoms which have no persuasive relevance.

Daddy

don't let's

Quote from: Khadafi on October 28, 2010, 07:52:27 PM
also i like how just telling someone that god isn't real in a comment on facebook is the point where atheists are assholes but apparently implying fuck's life cannot be happy or good without god isn't assholish.

or passing laws to enforce religious morality

why is it that the threshold for atheists being an asshole always seems to be much lower than what religious people get away with on a daily basis
But it was kinda obvious that he was just posting there to start something. Or hoping that something would get started.

rdl

Quote from: Khadafi on October 28, 2010, 07:52:27 PM
you mean agnostics whose logic could be applied to every other god or mythical being or ghosts or aliens yet they chose not to believe in those

or agnostics who fall under the subset of atheism

also i like how just telling someone that god isn't real in a comment on facebook is the point where atheists are assholes but apparently implying fuck's life cannot be happy or good without god isn't assholish.

or passing laws to enforce religious morality

why is it that the threshold for atheists being an asshole always seems to be much lower than what religious people get away with on a daily basis
because religious people dont get away with a whole lot on a daily basis. i dunno about where you live, but here if you even express your theism in the slightest people will laugh at you. the mere mentioning of jesus is funny.

i think we all love the play the victim. because it's almost as fun as throwing down the race card. it's easy to blame others. at the end of the day, the only REAL victims in the world are the jews. because lol jews.

the people chose to pass prop 8. whether or not you agree with them pretty much doesn't matter. and btw the two bold words are both very different, so i guess that's where the problem is.

the whole point of agnosticism is that there's probably some divine being that orchestrated some sort of beginning of life. you can't just pick a god and be happy with it, they (in theory) looked at all of the religions and didnt find any that made logical sense to them. so they say, atheism assumes too much happened based off of chance, and the thought of a god that likes circumcized penises is strange, so let's assume that it's something else.

there is a middle ground. the thought that there isn't is pretty ignorant.

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

?????

How about that crazy California with their crazy prop 8 and prop 19.
Die for Dethklok

rdl

Quote from: TheSequel on October 28, 2010, 09:06:20 PM
How about that crazy California with their crazy prop 8 and prop 19.
go to europe. democracy sux, im sorry

im too old and tired for these kind of debates. so i dunno if i'll partake. i dunno, depends on how senile im feeling.

?????

Die for Dethklok

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Quote from: XLR on October 28, 2010, 09:08:46 PM
go to europe. democracy sux, im sorry

I wouldn't go as far as to say we're a democracy here in Amerikaland.

?????

Die for Dethklok

YPrrrr

Oh hey some guy tried to convert me on the streets today too...

He was trying to sell some book on Hinduism I believe... I could pay him any amount for it... It looked kind of cool so I was tempted, but I would have only paid a dollar for it and that seemed like it would have been mean. He was a pretty poor salesman though, saying generic things like "you look like a cool guy" and "oh your major is political science? awesome!"

The political science being awesome part totally cost him akudood;

rdl

Quote from: TheSequel on October 28, 2010, 09:09:27 PM
They don't have democracies in Europe?
europe isn't as religious as america. did you not know this?

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Go Up