April 28, 2024, 07:48:32 AM

1,531,646 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

KAX: Defend you'resel've.

Started by Kalahari Inkantation, November 29, 2022, 10:03:54 PM

previous topic - next topic

Kaz is right.
2 (50%)
Kaz is wrong.
1 (25%)
Kaz is ruining my life.
1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Go Down

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Samus Aran on November 29, 2022, 09:59:51 PMim not gonna lie i dont really like skyrim as much as oblivion or morrowind anymore but its still pretty cool

Samus Aran

i mean its honestly pretty simple, the focus of those games shifted with each entry. morrowind cares far more about worldbuilding and detailed descriptions and lore than oblivion, and far more than skyrim. and i also just think morrowind's world itself is also more interesting. it is as pretty? no, but it's certainly much stranger and more unique and i value that more tbh

does morrowind *play* very well? well, no, but if im being perfectly honest, neither does skyrim, it's just an actually functional version of the same engine anyway. i'm never gonna actually really like how elder scrolls games *play*, swinging a sword at an awkwardly animated npc while some dice roll under the table is never really going to like...feel good lol

also i dont like the leveling system in skyrim, it's very boring imo, much preferred the weirder systems that morrowind and oblivion have. morrowind's is certainly harder to grasp though so i think it loses points to oblivion in that regard, but theyre mostly pretty similar. skyrim changed it completely and made it stupid simple

does that lack of fast travel in morrowind suck? hell yeah. does the strong possibility of *missing* with point blank moves in morrowind suck? yeah, they took "rpg" way too literally with that one. likewise, your magic can just fail. but these problems are mitigated eventually with leveling. still sucks tho LMAO

but man idk, i just love how much more *information* there is in morrowind that really conveys the world and npc attitudes better. and not having it all voiced is a plus imo, skyrim and oblivion voice acting is mostly pretty bad lol

skyrim and oblivion are definitely better when it comes to quests though, like, in morrowind there arent really quests in the same sense and you dont get very good rewards very often. its kinda more just for the adventure i guess and less about getting some weapon ur just gonna hoard. speaking of which, you can't really hoard in teh same sense anyway, there is no actual player housing in morrowind. but on the flipside, stuff never really disappears when you put it down in any building basically, because the game is not really constantly recycling/refreshing areas the way oblivion and skyrim do. so basically any house can be player housing, if you want. im sure there are some caveats to that though.

speaking of disappearing gear, despite being so, SO much older, morrowind is somehow not nearly as buggy as the absolute messes that are oblivion and especially skyrim.

also you have WAY less you can do with your fucking magic in skyrim, they completely killed enchanting and spell creating in that game. were those systems kind of broken in morrowind? yeah, especially enchanting. spell creation was also still pretty busted in oblivion? but so what? i love that you can do practically anything with them if you have the resources. skyrim just fucking axed them and i hate that

morrowind was more of an actual rpg with a huge emphasis on reading and worldbuilding and customization. oblivion was the next step forward, keeping most of what made morrowind cool, while updating some things and dumbing down a few other things and unfortunately adding that awful speechcraft minigame. and oblivion's setting is the dullest of the three imo. but then skyrim just came in and kind of reinvented the wheel and made elder scrolls as user friendly as possible while also kneecapping most of what made the previous games more interesting to me

also FUCK the dragons dude, they could have been so cool but instead the dragon spawn chance is tied to fast traveling and resting and as a result ANY TIME YOU FAST TRAVEL ANWWHERE THERES LIKE A 60% CHANCE YOU GOTTA FIGHT A DRAGON IT GETS SO OLD DUDE, plus they can kill nonessential quest giving npcs??? really easily?? what the fuck

all of these games are best played with some minor modding ofc because they all have problems, but all i did for morrowind was use this tweak mod batch that basically increases draw distances, fixes some textures, and i think fixes some bugs and stuff im not really familiar with

theyre all cool games and all but i really do think morrowind is the coolest and is the closest to the sort of thing i want out of an elder scrolls game, with skyrim being the dullest and oblivion some sort of happy medium i guess

idk man. its not even just me being a boomer either because morrowind is the last of the three i played

Samus Aran

i didnt even mean to write that much btw

Kalahari Inkantation

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Samus Aran on November 29, 2022, 10:26:59 PMidk man. its not even just me being a boomer either because morrowind is the last of the three i played

okay WOW

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Samus Aran on November 29, 2022, 10:26:59 PMmorrowind cares far more about worldbuilding and detailed descriptions and lore than oblivion, and far more than skyrim. and i also just think morrowind's world itself is also more interesting. it is as pretty? no, but it's certainly much stranger and more unique and i value that more tbh

May I have an example? befuddlement

ME##

I'll never forgive Skyrim for the first time I played it on the PS3. During the tutorial it kept spawning a dragon that made it impossible to continue :|

Samus Aran

Quote from: Majorana's Incantation on November 30, 2022, 05:05:46 PM
Quote from: Samus Aran on November 29, 2022, 10:26:59 PMmorrowind cares far more about worldbuilding and detailed descriptions and lore than oblivion, and far more than skyrim. and i also just think morrowind's world itself is also more interesting. it is as pretty? no, but it's certainly much stranger and more unique and i value that more tbh

May I have an example? befuddlement

i dont really have a good way offhand to give an example offhand of what i mean by morriwind caring more about worldbuilding, but you can basically just look at how npc dialogue works in that game and you'll see what i mean about the game just giving you a lot more information in general - and it's all text which i generally prefer in a game like this

anyway, tbh, if ur at all interested just try these other games out, not like they have much barrier to entry lol

Kalahari Inkantation

December 03, 2022, 03:11:58 PM #8 Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 03:44:37 PM by Majorana's Incantation
oh i'm just looking for like a screenshot of "strange and unique" elements in morrowind or smth lol

Quote from: Samus Aran on December 02, 2022, 02:08:30 PManyway, tbh, if ur at all interested just try these other games out, not like they have much barrier to entry lol

eeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.................

Quote from: Samus Aran on November 29, 2022, 10:26:59 PMdoes morrowind *play* very well? well, no

Quote from: Samus Aran on November 29, 2022, 10:26:59 PMdoes that lack of fast travel in morrowind suck? hell yeah.

Quote from: Samus Aran on November 29, 2022, 10:26:59 PMdoes the strong possibility of *missing* with point blank moves in morrowind suck? yeah, they took "rpg" way too literally with that one.

Quote from: Samus Aran on November 29, 2022, 10:26:59 PMlikewise, your magic can just fail.

Quote from: Samus Aran on November 29, 2022, 10:26:59 PMthese problems are mitigated eventually with leveling. still sucks tho LMAO

smithicide; >.<

Samus Aran

Go Up