May 05, 2024, 06:10:27 AM

1,531,620 Posts in 46,727 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

we all like to moan about gas prices

Started by Kalahari Inkantation, June 04, 2018, 05:07:08 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Kalahari Inkantation

June 04, 2018, 05:07:08 AM Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 06:54:33 AM by Majorana's Mask
But have you ever considered just how enormously underpriced it is knowing what it's capable of? befuddlement

35kg (76lb) of gasoline (equally to 12 gallons, the average tank size) can propel a 1500kg vehicle (average car mass, not including the added mass of human passengers, luggage, and the fuel itself) for ~300 miles (480km) at 60+ mph, nonstop

1500kg is over 43x the mass of a full tank

This incredible feat can be achieved by virtually anyone for about $36, as of today's national average gas prices. To us this is unreasonably high. SocksDood;

Is there a more (non-nuclear) energy-dense substance known to man? Let alone one that's remotely as cheap as oil is? akudood;

and it's even crazier to think about just how spoiled we are when you consider that after oil is combusted, it's permanently destroyed and irreplaceable

our finite supply of oil is so underappreciated

we really do take it for granted lol

itt common basic commodities you simply can't believe are as affordable as they are

YPrrrr

Yeah plus compared to a number of other places in the world we have it really easy for affording fuel.

Travis

most peeps got no idea the unbelievable feats of engineering they participate in everyday, from cars to roads to buildings etc etc. human ingenuity is genuinely amazing if you stop to think about what we have now and how fast we got it

YPrrrr

silvertone

well you guys can pay the higher prices lol

don't let's

Every once in a while I'll think about how all the gas around here has an extra 9/10ths of a cent added onto the price, and I wonder if I'm getting cheated out of some change eventually

don't let's

Quote from: Majorana's Mask on June 04, 2018, 05:07:08 AM
itt common basic commodities you simply can't believe are as affordable as they are
when you drink/bathe/cook/wash/sanitize with recycled waste water.

Thyme

bananas and other """tropical""" fruits befuddlement

C.Mongler

i took a shit today, when you think about it thats fucking amazing

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: SVT on June 04, 2018, 06:26:43 PM

that would only be encouraging our haphazard use of it >.<

really, the most ethical and prudent thing i could do with petroleum for the future of mankind is simply steal and stow away as much of it as i can

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Thyme on June 04, 2018, 08:21:36 PM

bananas and other """tropical""" fruits befuddlement

srsly

the mass availability of pineapples in particular is nothing short of miraculous

a pineapple plant takes two years to bear one fruit and then immediately dies

they were at one point so uncommon and so notoriously dificult to cultivate that

Quote from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pineapple#HistoryBecause of the expense of direct import and the enormous cost in equipment and labour required to grow them in a temperate climate, using hothouses called "pineries", pineapples soon became a symbol of wealth. They were initially used mainly for display at dinner parties, rather than being eaten, and were used again and again until they began to rot.

now they're available from pole to freezing pole, sometimes year-round, for about $2 each SocksDood;

TooB

I got gas.....

[spoiler]by which I mean farts [/spoiler]

strongbad

silvertone

Quote from: Magyarorszag on June 05, 2018, 08:51:38 PM
Quote from: SVT on June 04, 2018, 06:26:43 PM

that would only be encouraging our haphazard use of it >.<

really, the most ethical and prudent thing i could do with petroleum for the future of mankind is simply steal and stow away as much of it as i can
you can do that

Go Up