identifying old world and new world biases in boyagers (warning: cluelessness)

Started by Kalahari Inkantation, May 08, 2017, 04:06:37 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Kalahari Inkantation

when i say "old world", what i probably mean is something akin to "old school" or "old fashioned"

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/old-fashioned

old-fashioned sociological biases, specifically

for example: you probably would have understood me more clearly had i said "old school" to begin with, but in my old world mentality, "old school" sounds like [glow=black,2,300]ebonixxx[/glow] so i deliberately avoided using it lol hldjkshfsadkljf;sal

What are your Old World and New World biases, Boyah? hocuspocus;

if you still don't quite understand what i mean (i'm not sure i do myself), see the following examples

Kalahari Inkantation

May 08, 2017, 04:11:28 PM #1 Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 06:07:05 PM by Majorana's Mask
example 2:

old world thinking: [glow=black,2,300]ebonixxx[/glow] is associated with poverty and crime and speaking it will reduce your job prospects and overall social standing in life (objective fact: http://www.nber.org/papers/w9873)

new world thinking: but that does not mean that [glow=black,2,300]ebonixxx[/glow] is not a valid american dialect, nor does it justify discrimination against its users

Kalahari Inkantation

example 3:

old world thinking: video games are a wholly unproductive hobby

new world thinking: time wasted on something one enjoys is time well spent

rdl

that doodthing has breasts for eyes

Kalahari Inkantation

example 4:

old world thinking: abortion is murder

new world thinking: my body my choice

it's the idea of idealism vs. pragmatism

and you know, what's interesting is that the old world and new world conclusions are never actually incompatible with one another

rather, they are complementary

combined thinking, using the previous example: abortion is a necessary evil that should always be readily available to those who might benefit from it, but we must work towards minimizing abortion rates

YPrrrr

Quote from: Majorana's Mask on May 08, 2017, 04:14:10 PM
example 3:

I kind of do feel that my need to play video games is somewhat limiting the great contributions I could make to the world with that same time girl;

Although that goes for any hobby not just vidyas

Kalahari Inkantation

May 08, 2017, 04:21:22 PM #6 Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 07:56:00 PM by Majorana's Mask
Quote from: Majorana's Mask on May 08, 2017, 04:06:37 PM
when i say "old world", what i probably mean is something akin to "old school" or "old fashioned"

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/old-fashioned

old-fashioned sociological biases, specifically

for example: you probably would have understood me more clearly had i said "old school" to begin with, but in my old world mentality, "old school" sounds like [glow=black,2,300]ebonixxx[/glow] so i tried to avoid using it lol hldjkshfsadkljf;sal

Quote from: Majorana's Mask on May 08, 2017, 04:11:28 PM
example 2:

old world thinking: [glow=black,2,300]ebonixx[/glow] is associated with poverty and crime and speaking it will reduce your job prospects and overall social standing in life (objective fact: http://www.nber.org/papers/w9873)

new world thinking: but that does not mean that [glow=black,2,300]ebonixx[/glow] is not a valid american dialect, nor does it justify discrimination against its users

example 3:

Quote from: Majorana's Mask on May 08, 2017, 04:18:55 PM
example 4:

and you know, what's interesting is that the old world and new world conclusions are never actually incompatible with one another

combined thinking, using the previous example: abortion is a necessary evil that should always be readily available to those who might benefit from it, but we must work towards minimizing abortion rates

^^^ psychotic ramblings of a drugged-out armchair sociologist who thinks he's hot shit, ignore him before both of his heads get a little too big ^^^

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: YPargh on May 08, 2017, 04:19:16 PM
example 3:

I kind of do feel that my need to play video games is somewhat limiting the great contributions I could make to the world with that same time girl;

combined thinking: relaxing with an unproductive hobby is in itself productive as a means of relieving everyday stress, but do keep your time spent with unproductive hobbies moderated or they could have the opposite effect

YPrrrr

example 4:

apparently I'm old world too girl;

I don't think your combined thinking is a very good compromise for those who believe abortion is murder though. If abortion is necessary  you could also easily argue euthanasia of the those who require assistance to continue to live or function is necessary for the benefit of others. Often throughout history murder is sugarcoated as being purportedly for the greater good or benefit of a people or society or even a singular persons situation

Kalahari Inkantation

May 08, 2017, 04:27:22 PM #9 Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 05:12:39 PM by Majorana's Mask
Quote from: Majorana's Mask on May 08, 2017, 04:24:13 PM
example 3:

combined thinking: relaxing with an unproductive hobby is in itself productive as a means of relieving everyday stress, but do keep your time spent with unproductive hobbies moderated or they could have the opposite effect

sources:

clause 1 (video games good): http://ijoc.org/index.php/ijoc/article/view/5586/1742

clause 2 (video game addiction bad): https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3832462/

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: YPargh on May 08, 2017, 04:27:17 PM
example 4:

old world: ypr is a terrible, nonpracticing 'catholic'

new world: and yet ypr is a model christian citizen

both of these are true statements

and yet they seem and feel contradictory on the surface

YPrrrr

Quote from: Majorana's Mask on May 08, 2017, 04:27:22 PM
Quote from: Majorana's Mask on May 08, 2017, 04:24:13 PM
example 3:

sources:

clause 1: http://ijoc.org/index.php/ijoc/article/view/5586/1742

clause 2: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3832462/
I don't need sources lol girl; I know relaxation is good for the mind body and soul but I tend to have trouble rationalizing doing more work when I'm in my "spare time"

YPrrrr

Quote from: Majorana's Mask on May 08, 2017, 04:29:13 PM
Quote from: YPargh on May 08, 2017, 04:27:17 PM
example 4:

old world: ypr is a terrible, nonpracticing 'catholic'

new world: and yet ypr is a model christian citizen

both of these are true statements

and yet they seem and feel contradictory on the surface
Eh the new world is too nice girl; I mean model citizen sorta in that I have a job and vote and pay taxes and don't get arrested I suppose. I guess I'm technically Christian though I constantly question the dogma. It's very technically accurate I'll give you lol

Kalahari Inkantation

May 08, 2017, 04:38:33 PM #13 Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 05:14:30 PM by Majorana's Mask
both old world and new world have their time, place, audience, and practical application

but when both styles of thinking are present in a single mind simultaneously, a single mind that doesn't realize that they aren't necessarily incompatible, then they lead to cognitive dissonance, which causes all sorts of bad thinking habits and psychological complexes

it's part of the reason i'm so fuck;ed up and i'm only now realizing it lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: YPargh on May 08, 2017, 04:37:45 PM
Eh the new world is too nice girl;

i'm not just pointlessly fluffing you up

Quote from: YPargh on April 25, 2017, 09:20:00 PM
My Catholic schools, and most others I know of actually, taught evolution in our science classes with a caveat that some religious scholars disagreed on the subject. It was generally explained to me, however, that Catholicism and evolution had no major issues and could coexist.

I am a very lax Catholic especially since moving away from family. I still enjoy the traditions and the moral guidance and I really like the new Pope who I think brings a voice of reason to the world. However there are Catholic ideas I disagree with so I wouldn't say I'm 100% on board. I think the idea that hell awaits anyone who doesn't follow Jesus is ludicrous when God is supposed to be full of unconditional love. That being born in a certain part of the world would increase your likelihood of following another religion and thereby doom you.

Go Up