May 04, 2024, 03:15:33 AM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Nintendo Switch Thread Consolidation

Started by ME##, May 25, 2015, 05:13:07 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

C.Mongler

they're popping up on gamestop online a lot, follow videogamedeals and wario64 on twitter lol

Hiro

Quote from: C.Mongler on January 15, 2017, 11:16:14 PM
they're popping up on gamestop online a lot, follow videogamedeals and wario64 on twitter lol
yes but I don't have the money right now lol, the amazon thing would be great if I could do that

TooB

Quote from: ƕɾο on January 16, 2017, 12:41:04 AM
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2017/01/14/the-nintendo-switch-supports-up-to-256-gigabyte-micro-sd-cards.aspx
notbad.png
here's the problem; 2 tb cards will cost almost as much as the switch itself

and like it says in the article, even 512 gb cards cost more than half of the switch.

Hiro

I mean those will drop in price eventually but regardless, additional memory does cost money yes. However, I'm going to go ahead and take a guess that 80% of a game's data won't be installed on the Switch only requiring inserting the game as a formality, unlike the PS4 and Xbox One. The 32GB onboard should be enough for save & update data within reason, and you'd only need a really large memory card if you intend on installing eshop copies of multiple large-scale games on the system. Sure the PS4 and Xbone have more storage space but they use HDDs (which are much cheaper) and being a portable, the Switch doesn't have that option.

don't let's

Quote from: ƕɾο on January 15, 2017, 11:13:02 PM
Quote from: YPargh on January 13, 2017, 12:57:58 PM
This was probably the best chance to get me on a stupid impulse buy I might wait for the inevitable black Friday sale now  bassir;
black friday deal will probably just be full price with a $50 target gift card included or maybe a $30 game idk lol

Quote from: C.Mongler on January 13, 2017, 09:30:42 AM
lol talked all this shit and then snagged an amazon preorder since they won't hold a charge and cancelling is easy as shit
wait fuck really
are they just gone everywhere now
how the hell am I going to get one on launch aaacccck

Quote from: donʼt letʼs on January 15, 2017, 11:30:58 AM
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4NOLPY

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N6QKT7H/

I lol'd
all of this has been in the event thread lmao
also that's not really a bad deal considering you already have 2 controllers with the system

oh, I didn't see the edits to the first post

TooB

January 16, 2017, 08:36:08 AM #441 Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 08:41:17 AM by Big Goop
Quote from: ƕɾο on January 16, 2017, 01:03:10 AM
I mean those will drop in price eventually but regardless, additional memory does cost money yes. However, I'm going to go ahead and take a guess that 80% of a game's data won't be installed on the Switch only requiring inserting the game as a formality, unlike the PS4 and Xbox One. The 32GB onboard should be enough for save & update data within reason, and you'd only need a really large memory card if you intend on installing eshop copies of multiple large-scale games on the system. Sure the PS4 and Xbone have more storage space but they use HDDs (which are much cheaper) and being a portable, the Switch doesn't have that option.
regardless, many people choose to buy digitally, so those people are forced to buy that expensive storage. The fact that 1 & 2 tb cards aren't even available yet means that it won't be that soon before they drop any price.

And if Nintendo weirdly chooses to push digital again this gen, even though the Wii U couldn't handle many large downloads, that makes it even worse.

Or the possibility of download only titles, like fatal frame v, which pretty much took up a 32 gb Wii u' s storage space.

I would've gladly paid an extra $50 for this thing if they included more reasonable storage.

bluaki

Just because you can use a 2TB SD card eventually when they actually exist doesn't mean you have to buy 2TB of storage to get the most out of the system.

Sure, it would've helped if the system came with something like 64GB instead of 32GB, but SD cards at that level don't cost all that much (You can get 128GB for $40 or 32 for $10). Because of the nature of a small portable device, including something on par with the 500-1000TB HDDs of PS4/XB1 isn't viable with the current state of flash memory prices.

If they wanted to have a 128GB SKU at launch, it would have to be priced around $350, which would make the perception that Switch stuff is already too expensive even worse.

Quote from: Big Goop on January 16, 2017, 08:36:08 AM
Or the possibility of download only titles, like fatal frame v, which pretty much took up a 32 gb Wii u' s storage space.
That's unfortunately the way it has to be for niche games where the publisher doesn't see a physical production run as worth the investment.

On the other hand, because this only affects niche games, it's not something they'll see as an actual problem for most potential Switch buyers.

TooB

Yes I'm aware you don't HAVE to buy the 2 tb, but to even get close to comparable storage of even 500 gb, that's nearly $200. Maybe $150.  Even so, its just something you really shouldn't have to do. If the reason is because the switch is part handheld, well then, maybe they shouldn't have gone that route.

But since they did, we gotta pay extra for that. The amount we pay is irrelevant. We still gotta pay extra.

TooB

January 16, 2017, 12:23:36 PM #444 Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 01:06:27 PM by Big Goop
But yes to be fair, it does use carts, so we don't have to worry about mandatory installs, but patches and dlc could still prove problematic

And as for the download only games, I know I used fatal frame as an example, but I didn't mean only niche games

Samus Aran

Quote from: Big Goop on January 16, 2017, 12:23:36 PM
And as for the download only games, I know I used fatal frame as an example, but I didn't mean only niche games

let me help you: past nintendo titles are hardly "niche." how many people jumped on the metroid prime trilogy when it was released for download on wii u? i'm willing to bet a lot.

it's not just niche titles that take up all this damn space, nintendo themselves knowingly releases massive download-only titles that take up entire fucking hard drives

TooB

That's true. A good point that many people buy digital because they sometimes go on sale real cheap. Like that metroid trilogy when it was ten dollars.

C.Mongler

too bad nintendo sales are fucking garboooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

TooB

Fire Emblem Warriors was one game that I would've gotten a switch for, but guess what? It's also coming to 3ds.

And hell, if it runs identically to Hyrule Warriors Legends, then that's one less reason to buy a switch!

Now I'll just wait for them to announce that Xenoblade 2 is also releasing on 3ds, completely nullifying any reason to buy a switch as of now.

YPrrrr

They did announce there will be an actual fire emblem coming to switch but that's 2018 so... yeah

Go Up