May 04, 2024, 12:53:01 AM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Nintendo Switch Thread Consolidation

Started by ME##, May 25, 2015, 05:13:07 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

C.Mongler

also the reason the wii u failed was not total dependent on its horsepower. that thing had a wide array of problems from marketing being a huge one, to UI, to architecture, to my nut sack. the wii did fine and was a huger gap between the 360 and ps3 to what the NX will probably be to the Neo. and even then, we dont even know what the full extent of those console upgrades will be considering their libraries are touted to be fully compatible with the vanilla consoles too.

can we at least wait until these things launch, or at the very least have solid fucking details before we start shit slinging lol this is all wild speculation.

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: C.Mongler on June 14, 2016, 06:13:10 AM
also the reason the wii u failed was not total dependent on its horsepower. that thing had a wide array of problems from marketing being a huge one, to UI, to architecture, to my nut sack. the wii did fine and was a huger gap between the 360 and ps3 to what the NX will probably be to the Neo. and even then, we dont even know what the full extent of those console upgrades will be considering their libraries are touted to be fully compatible with the vanilla consoles too.

i personally believe that the wii u's ridiculous, ambiguous name (and godawful """marketing""" in general) is the single biggest reason it bombed, but every single one of its faults contributed to its failure, and its relative weakness is certainly one of its most significant faults

the wii succeeded in spite of its weakness because it appealed to "casuals", who today are adequately satiated by iphone apps

the loss of that market might not have been quite so devastating for nintendo had the wii u at least been powerful enough to appeal to hardxxre gamers and third party devs, it could still very well have been a compelling system had it been capable of offering third party content of xbox one-level fidelity plus the typical slew of nintendo first parties

but that wasn't an option because it was far too weak, and as an unattractive platform to both casuals with iphones and hrdxre gamers with ps4s, the only people to whom the wii u seemed enticing are the tiny core nintendo fanbase

if nintendo finds itself in that same situation again with the nx, i can't see an avenue for recovery

Quote from: C.Mongler on June 14, 2016, 06:13:10 AMand even then, we dont even know what the full extent of those console upgrades will be considering their libraries are touted to be fully compatible with the vanilla consoles too.

and this is true but like i said earlier i suspect it'll be weakly enforced

also it's worth noting that there were several transitional years during which many aaa games were made available on both current and last-gen platforms

the wii u's specs slightly exceed those last-gen platforms, and yet it got almost none of those intergenerational titles, so there's no guarantee that nintendo will see third party support on a weaker nx even if compatibility between the ps4/xbox one and ps4k/xbox 1.5 is maintained in earnest

[spoiler]

i mean there's no guarantee they'll see any considerable third party support no matter what they do but being powerful enough to make porting as painless as possible would certainly help[/spoiler]

Quote from: C.Mongler on June 14, 2016, 06:13:10 AM
can we at least wait until these things launch, or at the very least have solid fucking details before we start shit slinging lol

absolutely not

Quote from: bluaki on June 14, 2016, 01:49:41 AM
With everybody striking deals with AMD at the same time, they'll probably get pretty similar hardware unless Nintendo insists on its recent special strategy again.

this might be the best case scenario for them, but somehow i doubt nintendo would have found it necessary to significantly add to its manufacturing expenses (and nx's final msrp) to make the nx several times more powerful than the ps4/xbox one unless they somehow anticipated the ps4k and xbox 1.5

C.Mongler

June 16, 2016, 07:16:42 AM #272 Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 11:35:12 AM by C.Mongler
i mean people were attracted to the wii because of wii sports and the motion control gimmick, not because it was 'casual easy to get into gaming!!!' per se. my grandparents bought a fucking wii, and it was their first video game console; they still don't even know what a smartphone is. the wii had genius marketing behind it that showed how simple it was to integrate the wii into one's home and family. yes there's a venn diagram of the wii audience and the smart phone audience there for sure, but i don't think the overlap is necessarily as large or direct as you're making it out to be. the wii sold because it offered a compelling "unique" experience that made sense at face value to everyone who saw it and the barrier to entry was extremely small; smart phones don't necessarily do that. i think smart phones are most appealing for the mobile game friendly commuter class, because they already have one anyway and they have to sit on their ass for hours at a time with nothing to do during the day, which is a different appeal than what the wii had. it's more complex than just blanketing things as "casual gaming" is basically what i'm trying to get at lol.

the wii u. on it's hand, didn't have the same "oh wow, look, they're playing TENNIS!! IN THE LIVING ROOM!" instant-connection thing the wii had, not to mention the confusion from the wider audience that didn't know it was even a different console. i had several family and friends, knowing i'm the token gamer, ask me when and where they could pick up that "tablet thing" for their Wiis. anecdotes aside, i wish i could find detailed demographic data for the Wii, but all i'm pulling up is Wii was extremely popular with women 25-35 and not much else; if anyone can find it, i'd love to see it.

this argument is all wild speculation and abstract rationalization anyway lol there's really nothing to discuss without knowing what the nx is or even intends to be lol

Kalahari Inkantation

well we might not have any hard facts, but we can certainly make inferences based on remarks like this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=54&v=Xhl5sk9i6Mk[/youtube]

oh nintendo, you simply never learn

they are still clinging to the fantasy that they 'don't compete with other platforms' despite being so thoroughly crushed by sony and microsoft (and apple, and samsung, and ouya)

"For us it's about the content. Nintendo is a content-focused company..."

and yet there is a total of six games on wii u, lol

TooB

Nintendo: The Hipsters of the game industry

C.Mongler

don't let's

June 30, 2016, 07:20:03 PM #277 Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 07:24:18 PM by ­??????????­
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-didnt-show-nx-at-e3-because-it-was-worrie/1100-6441357/

[Quote]Miyamoto: Normally we would've shown the #NX at #E3, but we didn't. We're worried about imitators if we release info too early.[/quote]

Kalahari Inkantation

in other words, 'we had literally nothing to show off so have this convenient snippet of pr instead'

YPrrrr

Quote from: C.Mongler on May 16, 2016, 08:45:02 AM
i mean it's literally standable, but i don't understand why you would have a preference for 30 over 60 whoops i misread your post and i already typed all this shit up oh well; shit looks mad janky comparatively. especially considering most AAA+ games dip below 30 regularly, which OH GOEUADHGD. like i love bloodborne but holy fuck the framedrops make me nauseous sometimes

[spoiler]>implying my pc isnt complete shit and like i didn't play witcher 3 at 35 fps lolol, can't wait to get my 1080 and play the expansions at a needless 200 fps[/spoiler]

but yeah its night and day m8(make sure u got this bitch set 2 HD)
[youtube]41Hfe9xfixY[/youtube]

Quote from: squirrelfriend on May 16, 2016, 08:38:14 AM
that's an acceptable tradeoff to me

*vomits a little*

but what are u even trading

trading saving 100 dollars (which will inevitably be eaten by online service fees and console game markup) for inflexible outdated tech?

ANYWAY this is off topic can we return to discussing nintendo's latest polished turd sorry glorious leaders i did not mean to lead us astray
tfw you cant really tell the difference

C.Mongler

get your damn eyes checked then YPR lol

Thyme

maybe he didn't make sure he got this bitch set 2 hd befuddlement

squirrelfriend

I see a slight difference on my iPhone but no big deal

YPrrrr

ME##

Go Up