June 15, 2024, 10:46:43 PM

1,531,265 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Nintendo Switch Thread Consolidation

Started by ME##, May 25, 2015, 05:13:07 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Khadafi on May 09, 2016, 08:34:28 AM
Yeah, tech has progressed enough that NAND based storage (on "carts") is significantly faster and more efficient than disk based storage.

this was true even back in the n64 days too though

the problem was cost per storage unit, which while it has shrunk considerably it hasn't disappeared entirely

consumer prices for flash storage are still an order of magnitude higher than for optical storage

strongbad

Quote from: Tectron on May 13, 2016, 12:12:54 PM
Quote from: Khadafi on May 09, 2016, 08:34:28 AM
Yeah, tech has progressed enough that NAND based storage (on "carts") is significantly faster and more efficient than disk based storage.

this was true even back in the n64 days too though

the problem was cost per storage unit, which while it has shrunk considerably it hasn't disappeared entirely

consumer prices for flash storage are still an order of magnitude higher than for optical storage

exactly

bluaki

There have been so many conflicting "leaks" about NX processing power being reported from "very reliable sources"

One leak claimed it's not at all competitive with PS4/Xbone in terms of power
Another leak claimed it's x86/AMD and well above PS4/Xbone in terms of power
Another claimed that the console is ARM and well below PS4/Xbone performance
Another claimed again that it's AMD and more powerful than PS4/Xbone, perhaps on par with PS4K
The most recent one claims that it's ARM, running NVIDIA Tegra (well below PS4/Xbone in performance) and that the console will be revealed at E3 2016.

I doubt the NVIDIA rumor in particular, considering Nintendo has been using ATI GPUs for 15 years now in consoles and all their handhelds' ARM chips have been manufactured in Japan, not to mention an E3 mention that directly contradicts one of the very few things that Nintendo has said.

FAMY2

I hope Nintendo comes up with something amazing. I doubt it though because they are so far behind the game in so many ways. Glad I didn't buy a Wii U. And I won't buy another of their game consoles until they make huge improvements.

I don't understand all the stuff you guys talk about but I do see the end product as crap. Here's to an amazing E3.

C.Mongler

i don't understand anyone who buys a console, period lol they're all fucking bad

squirrelfriend

i can't afford a nice pc rig so i rather buy a console that will have a reasonable shelf life and can expect to have games that will run on it through its lifecycle

i would like to build a really powerful htpc eventually that will allow me to play pc games on a television since like you can use some as a monitor as well i guess

C.Mongler

Thyme

60+ fps is objectively better but 30 fps is subjectively acceptable to me imo

squirrelfriend

Quote from: C.Mongler on May 16, 2016, 07:25:26 AM
>30 fps
>"run"
that's an acceptable tradeoff to me
it's not like i bought a pc gaming rig
eventually i would like both tbh

C.Mongler

i mean it's literally standable, but i don't understand why you would have a preference for 30 over 60 whoops i misread your post and i already typed all this shit up oh well; shit looks mad janky comparatively. especially considering most AAA+ games dip below 30 regularly, which OH GOEUADHGD. like i love bloodborne but holy fuck the framedrops make me nauseous sometimes

[spoiler]>implying my pc isnt complete shit and like i didn't play witcher 3 at 35 fps lolol, can't wait to get my 1080 and play the expansions at a needless 200 fps[/spoiler]

but yeah its night and day m8(make sure u got this bitch set 2 HD)
[youtube]41Hfe9xfixY[/youtube]

Quote from: squirrelfriend on May 16, 2016, 08:38:14 AM
that's an acceptable tradeoff to me

*vomits a little*

but what are u even trading

trading saving 100 dollars (which will inevitably be eaten by online service fees and console game markup) for inflexible outdated tech?

ANYWAY this is off topic can we return to discussing nintendo's latest polished turd sorry glorious leaders i did not mean to lead us astray

squirrelfriend

i'm buying the nx to play animal crossing and pokemon primarily
oh and if tokyo mirage sessions gets ported to the nx i'll buy it p. much

squirrelfriend

i think it would suck that i would have to keep buying graphics cards every two years or something idk how pc gaming is nowadays

C.Mongler

actually pc gaming is nothing like it was in the days of the constant GPU upgrades of the 90s because console progression has slowed down so fucking much. i have purchased one GPU in the past 6 years, and honestly could stay on this one at console performance for probably another 2 years or so; i'm just getting a 1080 because i want to treat myself and hopefully be future-proofed for the next decade.

but yeah ill probably get an NX anyway because im retarded and i too like animal crossing  hocuspocus;

Kalahari Inkantation

official confirmation of the existence of both the xbox 1.5 and ps4k means that the nx won't even have the advantage of being the technically most powerful console on the market when it launches

so nintendo is once again rushing itself into another wii u situation (though this time inadvertently) - it's engineering the nx from the ground up to compete with a pair of soon-to-be-decommissioned platforms

except it's even worse this time because the wii u could at least claim to be the most powerful available console for about a year before the ps4 and xbox one eclipsed it

the one possible silver lining for nintendo is that microsoft and sony are both stipulating that all games must be playable on both 'versions' of their respective platforms (though i'm absolutely certain that in reality this will be weakly enforced), so maybe if nintendo is extremely fortunate and plays nicely with third parties they might still get some scraps

but sony and microsoft have decisively shifted the new hardware awe away from nintendo and towards themselves, and elevated the industry into a new technical standard that nintendo simply can't meet on such short notice

.........guys, even zelda might not be able to save the nx

bluaki

To be fair, the release window of the PS4 Neo isn't exactly confirmed yet. Xbone S isn't meaningfully more powerful than the original Xbone while the Scorpio is launching well after the NX (but still the same year).

NX specs are also far from confirmed. As far as we know, it could be on par with or even better than (lol) the PS4 Neo. With everybody striking deals with AMD at the same time, they'll probably get pretty similar hardware unless Nintendo insists on its recent special strategy again.

Go Up