May 04, 2024, 02:17:05 AM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Nintendo Switch Thread Consolidation

Started by ME##, May 25, 2015, 05:13:07 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Kalahari Inkantation

bluaki

There's a report claiming that Nintendo won't even reveal NX at E3 and will "instead focus on the new Zelda"

I'm honestly expecting this to be a misunderstanding. Considering that this Zelda game is probably an NX launch title, that seems especially weird.

then again, this March release date is also going against expectations, like they're just disregarding the idea of holiday launches

Kalahari Inkantation

https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/725231692533882880

QuoteThe Legend of Zelda will be the only playable game Nintendo brings to E3. Complete E3 plans will be announced later on.

so, in other words, the nx is going to launch with exactly one noteworthy game, a game that wasn't even initially designed for it and was instead stolen from its predecessor

lol

if this tweet is true, it confirms that the 3ds is dead as well, but of course they're prioritizing the replacement of their even more pathetic home console first

nintendo deserves to rot

YPrrrr

Quote from: Tectron on April 27, 2016, 01:13:53 AM

QuoteThe Legend of Zelda will be the only playable game Nintendo brings to E3. Complete E3 plans will be announced later on.

so, in other words, the nx is going to launch with exactly one noteworthy game, a game that wasn't even initially designed for it and was instead stolen from its predecessor

lol

if this tweet is true, it confirms that the 3ds is dead as well, but of course they're prioritizing the replacement of their even more pathetic home console first

nintendo deserves to rot
hey, they did it with the Wii and that thing sold like hotcakes!

squirrelfriend

i hope the nx isn't the final name of the console
nintendo should just ask hiro to say the first word that comes to mind and make that the name

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: YPR Classic on April 27, 2016, 01:15:43 AM

lol

nintendo deserves to rot
hey, they did it with the Wii and that thing sold like hotcakes!

but the gamecube at least had a much less anemic library including at the very least a few exclusive zeldas

plus the wii also had wii sports, i think that was much more a factor in its explosive ales than zelda was

bluaki

This doesn't necessarily imply that.

If you combine this with the weird claim that Nintendo won't showcase NX at all during E3, it makes sense that they wouldn't show NX-exclusive games yet.

Nintendo has lately in general been extremely hesitant to actually show anything about a game more than a few months before it releases.

Regardless, this says nothing about third-party support at launch.

Why do you expect console launches with multiple big releases accompanying it? The last couple generations haven't had much of anything at launch but ports, quickly-forgotten exclusives, and Wii Sports.

bluaki

Come to think of it, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Nintendo is ready to release Pikmin 4 next March. That's an entirely-possible launch title. They've already claimed that Pikmin 4 is almost done.

Kalahari Inkantation

April 27, 2016, 01:59:38 AM #233 Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 02:02:48 AM by Tectron
Quote from: bluaki on April 27, 2016, 01:25:26 AM

Nintendo has lately in general been extremely hesitant to actually show anything about a game more than a few months before it releases.

this, to me, is just an unbelievably transparent excuse

this """new policy""" of only announcing games six months before launch gives them plausible deniability whenever they're questioned about whether or not games exist at all

their e3 2015 was anemic not because of some new change in policy, but because in all honestly they had absolutely nothing to demo for the wii u as they were in the midst of abandoning it

pretending that they suddenly take issue with announcing games a year or more off was just a convenient cover

before last year they never had any issues with discussing games years before release, zelda itself is a testament to that lol

so there's little doubt in my mind that the reason they're not going to be showing anything else off for the nx this e3 is simply that they won't have anything else of note prepared, unless they plan on attending some other game show later in the year with new titles

so for the nx's launch we'll get zelda, some cheap mario spin off, a couple of other low-key first parties and maybe some ps4/xbox one ports we all played two years ago if we're lucky

Quote from: bluaki on April 27, 2016, 01:25:26 AM

Why do you expect console launches with multiple big releases accompanying it?

i don't at all expect this at all lol

nintendo has claimed generation after generation that 'we understand that our fans (and investors) were disappointed with this gen's launch droughts, we promise the next launch will be better' but it has never once proven true before and it certainly isn't going to prove true now

this article (written three years ago, coincidentally by one of today's most prolific nintendo leakers) is the best summary of nintendo's complete inability to learn that i've yet come across

Quote from: https://web.archive.org/web/20130410151916/http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2013/04/02/satoru-iwata-hubris-versus-western-culture/
Iwata says Wii will avoid major droughts that plagued GameCube.  (March 2007)

“When we launched GameCube, the initial sales were good, and all the hardware we manufactured at that time were sold through. However, after this period, we could not provide the market with strong software titles in a timely fashion. As a result we could not leverage the initial launch time momentum, and sales of GameCube slowed down. To avoid repeating this with Wii, we have been intensifying the software development, both internally at Nintendo and at developers outside the company, in order to prepare aggressive software lineup for Wii at and after the launch.” says Iwata.  He then says, ”We believe it is important to provide the market with strong software without a long interval in order to keep the launch time momentum.”

Source: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/060607qa/02.html

Iwata promises that 3DS will avoid major droughts that plagued Wii and DS.

“It’s important that you be able to supply software with no pause,” said Iwata. “With the DS and Wii, following the titles that were released at launch, the momentum dropped when there was a gap in software releases. We’re making plans so that this type of thing won’t happen.”

Source: http://www.vg247.com/2011/01/10/iwata-promises-to-avoid-wii-style-gap-in-software-with-3ds/

Iwata promises that Wii U will avoid major droughts that plagued 3DS and Wii.

“ As we learned a bitter lesson with the launch of the Nintendo 3DS, we are trying to take every possible measure so that the Wii U will have a successful launch.”
“The company was unable to launch much-anticipated first-party titles for the Wii nor for the Nintendo 3DS in a timely fashion in the first half of the term. In the game platform business, creating momentum is very important, but the momentum was once lost, and it has had a large negative effect on our sales and profits.”

Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/324133/wii-u-will-learn-from-3ds-bitter-lesson-iwata-vows/

Iwata apologizes for Wii U drought in January and February.

“I apologize to those supporting Wii U about the lack of titles in January and February.”

Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-01-23-iwata-apologizes-for-wii-u-software-drought

by april 2017 the nx will have found its place on this list

bluaki

Quote from: Tectron on April 27, 2016, 01:59:38 AM
this, to me, is just an unbelievably transparent excuse

this """new policy""" of only announcing games six months before launch gives them plausible deniability whenever they're questioned about whether or not games exist at all

their e3 2015 was anemic not because of some new change in policy, but because in all honestly they had absolutely nothing to demo for the wii u as they were in the midst of abandoning it
It can help hide the lack of upcoming games, but they have been announcing new things after E3 that release only a couple months later.

Twilight Princess HD and Kirby Robobot are two recent examples. Each announced only about 2-4 months before releasing.

It's not like NX will launch with absolutely nothing but one Zelda game. As usual, they'll probably at least have something showcasing whatever gimmicks they add this time and at least one of their other franchises with short production times.

Quote from: Tectron on April 27, 2016, 01:59:38 AM
nintendo has claimed generation after generation that 'we understand that our fans (and investors) were disappointed with this gen's launch droughts, we promise the next launch will be better' but it has never once proven true before and it certainly isn't going to prove true now
Those quotes reference two separate issues: a lackluster selection of launch titles and periods of time (after a successful launch) during the console's life that have a glaring lack of notable games.

Gamecube had a great launch between Melee, Pikmin, and Luigi's Mansion. Their issue there was, apparently, things slowing down after that.

When describing Wii, they mention delays as the problem. I don't know what else that references besides Brawl.

don't let's

lol

nintendo deserves to rot
will it launch with zelda, or will the NX version be delayed past the launch window?

C.Mongler

it will launch simultaneously; one would hope that would mean at the NX's launch lol

Tec, I'm not sure why you think Zelda is the only game Nintendo is working on considering it's clear like 80% of their dev teams are working on unannounced secret shit considering there's like 3 Nintendo games on the horizon currently. It would make sense that they're putting their entire weight into NX software development at this point.  n_u

C.Mongler

that said, i'm sure having Paper Mario Shitcker Star Wii U being your only game for the next year is a sound business decision.

Hiro

Quote from: Tectron on April 27, 2016, 12:45:08 AM

lmfao it's even worse than anyone could have expected

not only is the wii u losing its one and only zelda game (making it the only nintendo console without an exclusive zelda aside from the virtual boy), and not only was that game delayed for a full year the sole purpose of porting it onto a new machine, but now it's getting yet another delay into 2017 long after the wii u will have been otherwise dead and abandoned for the purpose of enticing idiots to buy the nx

even the year-long """delay""" of tp for the wii's launch wasn't quite this egregious
how is that worse than anyone expected, it's exactly what everyone expected
the march release date though what the fuck nintendo
also the Wii U isn't losing it's one and only Zelda game, in fact I'm p. sure you can play every main series Zelda game on it, as well as some of the portable titles, plus Hyrule Warriors
but yeah no exclusives is p. dumb lmao
Still, as a Wii HD port machine I guess the Wii U was okay, and somewhere between the Dreamcast and Gamecube in terms of good content

nintendo deserves to rot
the 3DS likely is about done as well yes

Quote from: C.Mongler on April 27, 2016, 06:38:15 AM
that said, i'm sure having Paper Mario Shitcker Star Wii U being your only game for the next year is a sound business decision.
also yeah this lmao what the fuck

Quote from: squirrelfriend on April 27, 2016, 01:18:05 AM
i hope the nx isn't the final name of the console
nintendo should just ask hiro to say the first word that comes to mind and make that the name
I think NX is okay but it's definitely not the final name. Also it's probably going to be related in some way to the new gimmick so the name and system will likely be shown at the same time.

And Tec/Blu, I'm pretty sure it's correct that the NX is not being shown at E3, only Zelda U. Hopefully the game is worth it, and I'm kind of hoping/half-expecting the NX version to just be a simple port with a few extra features like Twilight Princess did, which would make the Wii U version worth getting at the least.

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: ʜɨɍɵ҈҈ on April 27, 2016, 08:27:48 AMhow is that worse than anyone expected

well, because

Quote from: ʜɨɍɵ҈҈ on April 27, 2016, 08:27:48 AM
the march release date though what the fuck nintendo

it's about four months worse for wii u owners than i (and many others) certainly expected, it's about four months more abuse than even gamecube owners suffered while awaiting tp

i was pretty confident the nx would arrive in 2016 guaranteeing the new zelda in the same year, i did not anticipate that nintendo would be bold enough to artificially delay the game yet again in the case of a 2017 nx launch

the bizarre timing makes me suspect that the original plan for the nx and zelda actually was 2016, but for whatever reason the console got delayed into 2017, taking the zelda game that would otherwise have been complete as far back as 2015 along with it

Quote from: ʜɨɍɵ҈҈ on April 27, 2016, 08:27:48 AMhow is that worse than anyone how is
also the Wii U isn't losing it's one and only Zelda game, in fact I'm p. sure you can play every main series Zelda game on it, as well as some of the portable titles, plus Hyrule Warriors

it's losing its one and only exclusive zelda, the only would-be zelda in its library that actually matters

the wii u's other zelda titles include shitty $2 outsourced spinoffs and incredibly lazy rereleases of games we all purchased and played a decade+ ago, all meant to pull the wool over the eyes of fans as nintendo retooled what would have been the wii u's flagship title for its successor lol

now it's confirmed: the wii u is the only nintendo console aside from the virtual boy without its own zelda game

Go Up