June 10, 2024, 05:32:04 PM

1,531,635 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

I broke my PS3

Started by Socks, November 25, 2014, 07:26:43 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Socks

It was fine and then I went to shut it off like normal, but I did not wait that annoying 10 second it takes for it to finally shut off so I pulled the plug. Well, several hours later, it would not let me do anything unless I agreed to correct a corrupt file or some shit and then it would complete the process but not restart, just go black and silent. I could not turn it off. I tried the safe mode, and I get to the menu but it freezes, and so I am pretty sure it is fucked. I've had it for 1.5 years so no warranty and not a single issue with it, but one, ONE, one non standard shut down and it is broken? Really Sony? Your piece of shit PS3 cannot handle an unexpected loss of power? Anyway, can I get any money for a busted up PS3 console?

I plan on taking all of my games and controllers to GameStop and putting that money toward a PS4.

Kalahari Inkantation

how soon after getting to the safe mode menu does it freeze

it sounds like your hdd might be corrupt

if you have a spare drive of the same size laying around you could always try replacing it and seeing if that does the trick (no fiddling with safe mode necessary), but even if that does work you wouldn't be able to recover your data unless you made a backup to external media

Socks

As soon as my controller connect normally, it freezes and I can't scroll or press x. If I try to reconnect the controller it wont let me. I am not familiar with replacing the hard drive, and don't have an extra. I don't really care about saved data. From what I've read on forums, it could be a heating fan issue or some adhesive paste thing. I've given up on fixing it. Will I still be able to log onto my PS account once I get a PS4?

Kalahari Inkantation

also, try this before anything else if you're certain absolutely none of the standard procedures are proving effective

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1189/~/reinstall-playstation-3-system-software

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Socks on November 25, 2014, 07:51:31 PMFrom what I've read on forums, it could be a heating fan issue or some adhesive paste thing. I've given up on fixing it. Will I still be able to log onto my PS account once I get a PS4?

i doubt it's any of those, otherwise it wouldn't boot at all

if you don't mind losing data, formatting the hdd sounds like it could fix it

you don't necessarily need a spare drive, either, you could take the old one and format it via pc and then plug it back into your ps3

as for your psn account, it'll be accessible from ps4, but any ps3-only digital games you might own won't be playable on ps4

Socks

Huh, I will try that, thank you. I will see if it works. Wait, does it cost money to download the update?

ME##

nope, all of the updates are free

did it work befuddlement

Socks

Ok so I followed the instructions to a T, turned on the console, put in my USB drive with the update software in the PS3 and it is just going through the usual restoring process which has been coming up. I don't expect it to work, but it is loading so we'll see...

Socks

And nope, black screen again after the restoring process went 100%. Just a pure black screen, no restart or nothing. I don't even think the PS3 recognized the USB drive I out in. I got no notice or prompt.

Socks

Thanks for your help guys but that bitch is dead. I just want to shatter it with a sledgehammer.

ME##

damn, that's terrible.  amazing to have such bad luck.  hopefully nothing like this happens to the ps4. [spoiler=feel free to ignore this]i feel like a twat for even suggesting this, but sony's extended protection plans don't seem like a bad investment just for peace of mind. http://protectyourps.com/

$50/60 depending on how long you choose to have its warranty extended and it covers accidental damage so sony can't gyp you out of your warranty for having something like this happen. [/spoiler]

Kalahari Inkantation

the very last thing you can try is formatting your drive

http://killerbug.net/PS3_HDD_FULL_FORMAT.html

if you already own an hdd enclosure it shouldn't be too much of a hassle, but if you're content with moving on then rip :(

Socks

does it matter that there were other files on the USB drive other than the PS3>UPDATE ones?
also yeah, when i get the PS4 i am getting that, since i know now that ONE fucking accidental loss of power while it is shutting down will fatally corrupt the system, for fuck's sake.

Socks

yeah thank's tec but that is slightly too technical for me. i don't feel competent enough ripping open the PS3 console and having to buy cables and learn how to merge it with my computer and then fix it and put it back in the PS3. i'm more content with violently destroying this fucked up one and getting a PS4.

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Socks on November 25, 2014, 09:05:53 PM
does it matter that there were other files on the USB drive other than the PS3>UPDATE ones?

it shouldn't

also removing the hard drive isn't that difficult, you pretty much just slide it out of its slot lol

but yeah you would need other (albeit v. inexpensive) hardware if you wanted to keep that particular drive

which is why it would be ideal if you could find a cheap spare somewhere so you wouldn't have to chuck it all, but i get that that might be kind of a hassle :'(

Go Up