April 27, 2024, 09:14:16 AM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Dark Souls 2

Started by TooB, March 05, 2014, 11:53:47 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Kalahari Inkantation

March 16, 2014, 11:04:45 PM #30 Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 07:02:28 AM by Tectron
the permadeath of enemies is the one element that had me most worried about das2, precisely because farming, either for souls, or revival items, or ore, is sometimes crucial to making any real progress in these games

i feel like the path to a boss is almost never as much of a problem as bosses themselves are, or at least that was the case in dark souls, and i don't think it's ever once taken even me of all people 15+ attempts to get to the area boss in either demon's or dark souls (and anyone having so much trouble en route to the boss would likely have an absolutely miserable time with the boss itself), so i really don't think this decision was primarily made to moderate the game's difficulty at all

it seems like this new aspect exists purely to limit farming

how very spiteful of from software

in any case, until i've played it myself, i will assume that the overwhelmingly positive fan and media reception to the game indicates that it isn't an issue that ever really becomes insurmountable or overly frustrating

Kalahari Inkantation

March 16, 2014, 11:25:06 PM #31 Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 11:41:51 PM by Tectron
that being said, there is a rare consumable item in game that can be burned at bonfires to resurrect area enemies, though at a difficulty level one step above your current playthrough

i'd really rather not have to rely on a rare consumable for that, though

i like having the assurance that even in times of great hardship, i can always resort to farming until i'm better prepared for confrontation

though i suppose it's that very sense of security that from was looking to eliminate

Snowy

you can always farm the bosses by being summoned in another game, so it isn't a huge problem.

Kalahari Inkantation

the soul problem can be circumvented that way, but there are likely to be plenty of other necessary consumables i'll find myself without easy access to once the enemies within an area are extinct myface;

but w/e i'll see how it goes once i'm playing it myself

TooB

I dont mind it at all. Probably because I dont delve that deep into the souls games systems.
So i have no complaints about it.

For someone like me, it will go like,  man i died a lot on that boss, it will be annoying to get back to it....
Oh wait enemies are gone! Sweet! Time to die on the boss again!

TooB

Also, i dont know if this is related to help with alleviating the fact that enemies can die for good.....
But you can eventually respec your characters stats.
So thats something.

Its funny, i guess im not cut out to be a game reviewer... i like games too much.

Snowy

Quote from: Project Lunchbox F on March 17, 2014, 10:06:48 AM
Also, i dont know if this is related to help with alleviating the fact that enemies can die for good.....
So thats something.

Its funny, i guess im not cut out to be a game reviewer... i like games too much.
Oh yeah, I heard about that. how do you do that? Is it an item or an NPC you find?

TooB

Quote from: Snowy on March 17, 2014, 10:08:05 AM
So thats something.

Oh yeah, I heard about that. how do you do that? Is it an item or an NPC you find?
i think its somethingto do with the firekeepers at the very beginning of the game]

Juni

Quote from: Snowy on March 17, 2014, 10:08:05 AM
So thats something.

Soul vessel, found in the mansion in Majula

TooB

Samus Aran

i haven't really played the game all that much yet, haven't even gotten to the first boss, but one thing i will say is that, for better or worse, DaSII is more "video gamey" than the previous two Souls games

in that the presentation is more standardized, from the redone menus to the sound effects

i think that generally the menu system is more user-friendly now (without some giant list to sift through, and without always having to press square to get stats for equipment), but i can't help but feel as if it's not as visually appealing lol

but oh man the animations and such are all just so much nicer and more fluid, though this is partly because you're a billion times slower lol

minor things

TooB

I dont really see it as " a billion times slower" but there is a slight decrease in animation recovery, but notthat much.

And im still not sjre what you mean by " video gamey" when you mention sfx especially. They sound pretty much the same to me

And as for the menus, those are gamey by nature lol

TooB

Basically, what im saying, is that if you feel the need to complain about the menus, then the game must be pretty damn good.

Not that im saying you cant mention things that bother you of course. I just dont see the problems, but i dont really have that "critical eye"

Kalahari Inkantation

kaz is obviously making good use of his Ring of the Critical Eye

Samus Aran

i mentioned them because i noticed them and because this is a thread where i can post things about this video game lol

i'm not "complaining" per se, just posting what i thought as i was playing

and also it's not just "animation recovery" - one of the biggest speed changes is that your shield draw speed is actually significantly slower than dark souls. but there is a method behind this madness. the new agility stat thingy effects that and other things. the dark souls 2 wikidot has confirmed that with the corresponding stat at 21, shield draw speed is still slower than dark souls, but significantly improved over starting stats

hocuspocus;

Go Up