June 10, 2024, 11:55:56 AM

1,531,635 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

The future of SSB (Dec. 9th 2013)

Started by strongbad, November 18, 2013, 06:37:28 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Hiro

Quote from: udderfailure on November 18, 2013, 06:37:28 PM
if you havent been interested in project m yet, and you aren't after this video, you don't deserve to be a super smash bros fan
shut the fuck up.

the editing and music on that trailer are annoying, and all the little technical stuff and watching insane combo-stringing does not do anything for me at all. i'm sure it's still a fun mod though.
not sure if i like that horizontal final cutter move for kirby, that seems a bit op to me. the pikmin having different powers seems cool but also very hard to strategize since it seems like olimar would have some sort of  extra meta-game to manage in addition.
turbo mode WHY
costumes look cool but that pikmin level looks bad
it doesn't look like every character is there. also what are the new modes?
like i said i'm sure it would be fun but it also seems like it would just further the divide between "casual" and competitive players.
and the reason none of us have checked out project m is because nobody knows how the hell to set it up and none of us play ssb much anyways, especially since the online in brawl sucks and none of us have friends around that want to play smash bros like you do.

Snowy

I'm just gonna stick to my casual SSB because it's actually fun

YPrrrr

Having actually watched the video the only thing that upset me was the change to Kirby's dash attack

His dash attack in melee was garbage, I don't want to be reminded of how trashy he was

bluaki

Did I see a Skyloft stage in that video? It was only a glance, but it looks similar to the one we've seen in SSB4 screenshots.

Quote from: / on November 18, 2013, 11:10:30 PM
and the reason none of us have checked out project m is because nobody knows how the hell to set it up and none of us play ssb much anyways, especially since the online in brawl sucks and none of us have friends around that want to play smash bros like you do.
I believe a lot of us have installed homebrew on Wii. I've never tried project m, but I imagine it's probably in the form of some homebrew application that simply runs to load the brawl disc while applying modifications.

Yeah, I almost never play smash with people irl, and even when I do it's not like I know anybody who actually cares for competitive smash.

Project M doesn't have any online multiplayer, right?

strongbad

you guys are totally missing the point
it's the equilivant of a new smash game.the transition from brawl to p:m is just as impressive (if not more impressive) than the transition from any other smash game to the next rendition
if you like casual smash on other smash games you will like casual smash on p:m
it's just a way better game. just because it isn't made by nintendo doesnt mean that it isn't worthy of that title.

@bluaki it does but you need to use the wifi-safe build which disables some minor features that i can't remember. it's just as laggy as brawl's though (although pm improves the input delay in brawl's engine a lot so it probably is smoother)

@hiro it does have all the characters, the ones showcased were just the new ones for the next update. turbo mode is cool but just a gimmick

Snowy

idk brawl is fine for me and my friends. we don't need a whole lot of mods. We tried Project M before and didn't really like it.

Patrick Stickles

turbo mode won't apply to most who don't play competitively will it? i thought it's all about move cancels or whatever
What the fuck was it for anyway?

Hiro

that screenshot of the character selections screen didn't show all characters
and in terms of fighting mechanics it probably is on par with a new smash bros game, but it doesn't add actual new characters or a lot of other things a new ssb would have

TooB

from what i played, i remember them making a castlevania stage, and i wished that they inserted a castlevania song for it, but they used luigis mansion.
if they can put skywards theme into that stage, they can insert a castlevania tune

strongbad

Quote from: Patrick Stickles on November 19, 2013, 01:07:30 AM
turbo mode won't apply to most who don't play competitively will it? i thought it's all about move cancels or whatever

nah turbo mode is just to be goofy

Quote from: / on November 19, 2013, 01:32:12 AM
that screenshot of the character selections screen didn't show all characters
and in terms of fighting mechanics it probably is on par with a new smash bros game, but it doesn't add actual new characters or a lot of other things a new ssb would have

who is it missing? young link isn't going to be added because of toon link, pichu isn't going to be added because it's pichu, and doc isn't being added because they made Mario a mix between melee doc and melee mario
they're also added at least two more characters using the clone engine (how they added Mewtoo and Roy, as they aren't available in brawl)
i don't really see how ssb4 could have better mechanics than p:m lol
and it does add new characters and new features if you look into it (mewtoo/roy not in brawl, plus more new characters with future updates). a lot of the characters have pretty in depth (for ssb) new mechanics that would be a worthy progression from one smash game to another (see ivysaur, g&w, samus, etc)

but i dont think i'm going to convince you lol

Quote from: Project Lunchbox F on November 19, 2013, 07:42:04 AM
from what i played, i remember them making a castlevania stage, and i wished that they inserted a castlevania song for it, but they used luigis mansion.
if they can put skywards theme into that stage, they can insert a castlevania tune

it's pretty easy to add your own custom music to stages ;)

Classic

You are totally missing the point. We don't care.

YPrrrr

Quote from: udderfailure on November 19, 2013, 09:26:31 AM
nah turbo mode is just to be goofy

who is it missing? young link isn't going to be added because of toon link, pichu isn't going to be added because it's pichu, and doc isn't being added because they made Mario a mix between melee doc and melee mario
they're also added at least two more characters using the clone engine (how they added Mewtoo and Roy, as they aren't available in brawl)
i don't really see how ssb4 could have better mechanics than p:m lol
and it does add new characters and new features if you look into it (mewtoo/roy not in brawl, plus more new characters with future updates). a lot of the characters have pretty in depth (for ssb) new mechanics that would be a worthy progression from one smash game to another (see ivysaur, g&w, samus, etc)

but i dont think i'm going to convince you lol
it's pretty easy to add your own custom music to stages ;)
New characters as in original to the series. Not clones or rehashes from old smash games. I like competitive smash but it doesn't have the newness of a new smash game. Especially since half the bloody thing is just based off Melee added into Brawl characters.

Hardly the same as a new smash game which would probably have a different feel altogether just as melee did from the original and brawl did from melee (hitstuns, recovery, speed, etc)

Wrench

Doesn't require me to mod my Wii? I will totally consider ordering an SD card for this.

strongbad

Quote from: CLASSIC on November 19, 2013, 09:42:11 AM
You are totally missing the point. We don't care.

you guys are missing the point that you should care lol
but i'm done arguing
also if you don't care you don't have to be a snob about it. just don't post in the thread.
i don't post in gaming threads that i don't care about them because i don't care
i think you just like to be a nintensnob

Quote from: CM Wrench on November 19, 2013, 11:44:08 AM
Doesn't require me to mod my Wii? I will totally consider ordering an SD card for this.

nope! you just need an sd card and then you run it through the stage builder in brawl. takes a couple minutes and is super easy to get going

strongbad

Quote from: YPR Classic on November 19, 2013, 11:22:15 AM
New characters as in original to the series. Not clones or rehashes from old smash games. I like competitive smash but it doesn't have the newness of a new smash game. Especially since half the bloody thing is just based off Melee added into Brawl characters.

Hardly the same as a new smash game which would probably have a different feel altogether just as melee did from the original and brawl did from melee (hitstuns, recovery, speed, etc)

i really think that it does have the feel of a new smash game
it is way different from melee even though it adopted primarily melee mechanics
recoveries are way easier and edgeguarding is less effective overall which changes things a lot

Go Up