September 28, 2024, 02:28:25 PM

1,531,324 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Actual Yume Nikki thread

Started by Samus Aran, March 12, 2013, 03:28:42 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

So, like, I've been playing this lately and I just finished it last night. I did/saw basically every event in the game, save for a couple random occurrences that just didn't happen for me.

Who else here has played it? I know a couple of you have.

Fuck. What a game. Or an experience, rather. Intriguing, creepy, and depressing all at once. It's interesting when you think of it as literally walking through someone else's subconscious, wondering what a lot of it actually means for Madotsuki, since they're her dreams and we know that she's a really troubled person. So many things in that game reflect probable anxieties or fears of hers...and a lot of the fan theories about just what happened to her prior to the game really do make sense, given the imagery in her dreams.

Probably my favorite part was the witch effect event. Or searching around Number World for the "zipper" you stab for the hidden area with Kyuukyuu-kun and the FACE event. And one area that particularly fascinated me was how you wander through the vine jungle until you find this massive staircase that leads to this serene little cliff with people staring off into the city lights far away, completely oblivious to you. And you go in the cave next to them, and there's the pretty little bell flowers. wry

fuck idk i loved this shit

I should play Yume 2kki now, the unofficial "sequel."

Hiro

I've played it before, but I only got through like 2 or 3 of the areas, and that was years ago. I downloaded it again the other day though, so I might play it tonight.

strongbad

played it for about 30 minutes today for the first time
pretty cool. i feel like i need to get really stoned and play it in the dark for a while

how long did it take you to complete everything?

Samus Aran

Quote from: ilovesloths on March 13, 2013, 12:13:41 AM
played it for about 30 minutes today for the first time
pretty cool. i feel like i need to get really stoned and play it in the dark for a while

how long did it take you to complete everything?

i took my time. i typically never played it for more than an hour. i played it for two hours last night to see everything i had missed, though. i'd say i probably spent about 6 hours with it total? although some of that time was trying to get it to work, as i had a lot of errors running it at first. if you just wanted to find all twenty-four effects, and you didn't get lost constantly, you could probably finish it in 3 hours your first time. but that'd be boring. you gotta explore and see everything you can. some of the neatest stuff is hidden really well.

ncba93ivyase

i haven't yet fully completed it, but it's one game i devote a few hours to every few months. it basically invented a certain vibe that a lot of indie games today try to emulate

by the way, i just beat anodyne yesterday and the first half of it feels like yume nikki with zelda's combat and a bit of space funeral's bizarre humor

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

Hiro

Quote from: Pancake Persona on March 13, 2013, 12:58:39 AM
i haven't yet fully completed it, but it's one game i devote a few hours to every few months. it basically invented a certain vibe that a lot of indie games today try to emulate

by the way, i just beat anodyne yesterday and the first half of it feels like yume nikki with zelda's combat and a bit of space funeral's bizarre humor
sounds like something i need to check out wrench;

strongbad

Quote from: Madotsuki on March 13, 2013, 12:17:04 AM
i took my time. i typically never played it for more than an hour. i played it for two hours last night to see everything i had missed, though. i'd say i probably spent about 6 hours with it total? although some of that time was trying to get it to work, as i had a lot of errors running it at first. if you just wanted to find all twenty-four effects, and you didn't get lost constantly, you could probably finish it in 3 hours your first time. but that'd be boring. you gotta explore and see everything you can. some of the neatest stuff is hidden really well.

yeah i'm looking forward to the exploration
i glanced at a walkthrough and one of the first things i saw was "i recommend that you don't use this walkthrough to enjoy the game" and i decided not to use it.

Samus Aran

good. there are a few extras you'll probably never find yourself, so you could maybe look at the yume nikki wiki or a walkthrough after you finish the game to find those extra things. but for the most part definitely play the game and find the 24 effects on your own. it's a much better experience if you go into it knowing as little as possible, imo.

me003

I got about 3 effects and then quick playing. I got a huge headache when playing, and I was really stressed with school at the time so I was feeling the empty void that the game represents. I gotta play it again though soon.
Quote from: reefer on November 29, 2007, 11:32:08 PM
No offense to her but she kinda doesn't know crap about shit

TooB

I have no idea what the hell im supposed to do

Samus Aran

Quote from: Lunchbox on March 22, 2013, 02:09:27 PM
I have no idea what the hell im supposed to do

explore, find effects

TooB

Go Up