September 29, 2024, 10:24:39 PM

1,531,325 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

I know so little about my heritage

Started by LCK, February 03, 2012, 09:46:10 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

LCK

it's sad. there is so little information passed on about my family's past. when i ask anyone the most they can tell me is "you're part swedish, part german, part czech or something. maybe norwegian"
it's a shame. i'm sure there is so much to tell, but we know so little. i would love to know of what my family has done in the past, how they got here, etc. i would like to be able to know some specifics of my heritage. it would be nice to have some specific ties to my heritage
my gf in very british. her grandparents in the cities are british and they have great accents. and she still has family in guernsey. its just so cool to know and i'm jealous

but yea the accents are great

aare you well informed on your heritage?

PLEASEHELP1991

I don't really know much about my family either. all i know pretty much is that i'm irish/italian/german/sephardic jewish, lol
I love [you]

ikanaide

FAMY2

I spend some time on my family history.  German, English, Irish mostly.

On my Mom's side there were quite a few influential people that settled in New York and moved to Michigan.

My Dad's family is much more mysterious. When most left Germany they went to Australia. At least those with the same last name. Does that mean they are bad people?  n_u  I thought the bad people came from England.

Hippopo

I'm in the same boat as you.

I know for sure that I'm Danish since my great grandparents on my mother's side were from Denmark.  Other than that, it's kind of a mystery.  My grandfather on my mom's side was adopted and we know nothing of his biological parents.  Plus he died when my mom was six, and my grandma refused to talk about him.  In fact, I didn't even get to see a picture of him until she had died.

My Dad's side is a mystery as well.  The lineage on his maternal side has always been in Hawaii from what I know, but she's not pure Hawaiian at all.  His father is French, German, English I think.

Who knows though.

piano moths

i'm not informed but i'm not really stressing. I'm pretty WHITE though the kind of WHITE people with brown hair and brown eyes and freckles

i'm kidding though i think i'm like german and irish but i don't know!!!
kill them w kindness

YPrrrr

I am mostly Polish, a quarter English, and then have some remnants of Swedish and Cherokee in me.

I don't know much about my Polish family except that I am a 3rd generation immigrant I guess? Same for my English side too actually. That side I know is a line of soldiers, miners, and electricians. I'm named for my great great uncle who died in WWI. I have his pocketwatch a la Pulp Fiction. I've seen his grave which has my name on it.

Apparently I am required to name one of my children Aubrey but I don't know if I'll follow through on that because I like my name's relative uniqueness and besides, no one else in my family named Aubrey has named their kid Aubrey either

Socks

As far as I am aware, I am 100% Albanian by birth and ethnicity. My mother's side comes from a small farmers village in the south and is a secular Sunni sec from the Ottoman days. My father comes from a village in the central plains which are known for herding and being jolly. They are Christian Orthodox. I'm European so I'm 'white', but a Balkan/Mediterranean flavor. I know that my grandfathers were soldiers and black smiths, as well as farmers who fought in two world wars. I could add a few details later.

snoorkel

there was a russian/bohemian man somewhere on my mom's side who is said to have lived in the woods with multiple sheds packed full of trinkets and parts. he played accordion, and trained wild squirrels to sit on his shoulder.

i'm predominately french and bohemian (czech) on my mother's side, descended from family names like Nagan (apparently originating near Nice) and Bombus (from the old country), and german scottish on the other side.

bluaki

My mom has traced her heritage quite a bit, though I don't personally know it myself. I remember hearing at least there's parts of english, scottish, welsh, irish, and german and that she has ancestors who fought on both sides of the civil war

My father's side is mostly unknown (because we lost contact with him in 1993), though I remember my mom mentioning there's a native american about 3 generations back (great grandparent).

don't let's

Scottish and Irish on my moms side and maybe Native American on my dad's.

Socks

Quote from: vziard on February 03, 2012, 12:56:34 PM
there was a russian/bohemian man somewhere on my mom's side who is said to have lived in the woods with multiple sheds packed full of trinkets and parts. he played accordion, and trained wild squirrels to sit on his shoulder.

Sounds like Tolstoy.

[hedy]Zidone

Not much. Mostly German, Irish, Scottish, English ancestry. All on my mommy's side, since I never really got to know my father well enough to learn about that stuff.
My grandmother was from Maryland (and raised Catholic) and my grandfather from Iowa, Protestant as far as I know.

My last name (inherited from my granpappy) is uncommon enough to be pretty telling in itself, and I wouldn't be surprised if everyone else who has it is related to me.

Classic

Unaccounted percentages of Irish, Scottish, Dutch and some bastard Indian.

Whata mix, huh? 5thgrade;

Kalahari Inkantation

as far as i'm aware, my ancestors hail from these regions (indian injun, non-specific native american injun, non-specific east asian, non-specific african, scootish, frants)

Go Up