September 23, 2024, 11:22:22 AM

1,531,320 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

I think I'm going to go into engineering

Started by strongbad, January 03, 2012, 07:51:16 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

strongbad

I've decided that I'm paying so much fucking money for a degree, I might as well do something with it that makes money. Also being an engineer would be slick.

Taking precalc this quarter lol. Gotta start somewhere  bassir;

bluaki

ncba93ivyase

I hope this is your first semester, because at my school, engineers have to take more credits than the max (normal max is 18; engineers take about 21), they have assloads of work, and their degrees often take 5 years with all credits maxed out. akudood;

Also, if you're only taking precalc, maybe you should reconsider. Engineering majors are really nothing but math.

Also, engineers aren't that handsomely paid. They typically pull about $70000 a year, which is pretty much starting rate for CS majors.

And don't decide to jump to CS unless you have years of prior experience, because most decent CS programs assume you already know that.

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: bluaki on January 03, 2012, 09:03:20 AM
What type of engineering? confuseddood;
also this

there are like 10 different engineering majors at my school

electrical, petroleum, aerospace, mechanical, computer, bio, industrial, civil, and maybe a couple others

If you major in engineering and take it seriously, you really won't have much of a social life. With my school, if you choose engineering, they outline your entire 4-5 year schedule before you even start and engineers of related majors tend to take classes in sync. I really hope you've planned all this, because just saying "i'm going to major in engineering lol" is about as serious as saying "i'm going to have a baby lol", because it's loads of work for life.

or maybe you go to a shitty school where engineering isn't taken so seriously and it's just that all the schools in my area love competing

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

applesauce

Not sure where you're getting your salary stuff but mechanical and aerospace engineers typically start out around 70-80k and move up to 120-150k.

But yeah if you're in college in precalc maybe you shouldn't be an engineer.

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: applesauce on January 03, 2012, 09:14:55 AM
Not sure where you're getting your salary stuff but mechanical and aerospace engineers typically start out around 70-80k and move up to 120-150k.

But yeah if you're in college in precalc maybe you shouldn't be an engineer.
not sure how accurate this is, but the rates seem to match up with what i remembered

http://www.payscale.com/index/US/Degree

Engineers there are ranging from $40000 to $80000 for average people, and up to about $100000 for managers, etc.

applesauce

Quote from: <sub>Pancake</sub> <sup>Persona</sup> on January 03, 2012, 09:22:45 AM
not sure how accurate this is, but the rates seem to match up with what i remembered

http://www.payscale.com/index/US/Degree

Engineers there are ranging from $40000 to $80000 for average people, and up to about $100000 for managers, etc.

That's a lot less than people I know are making.

silvertone

Isn't 40000-80000 a lot? Also can't you Learn Those Things in vocational schools? Am I being an idiot fucker???

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: Complicated Bridge on January 03, 2012, 10:36:03 AM
Isn't 40000-80000 a lot? Also can't you Learn Those Things in vocational schools? Am I being an idiot fucker???
It's a good amount of money, but when you consider that engineering students have more work than any other major, it's not that good. The only thing that compares is training to be a medical doctor at the graduate level, and that path would give you 3 to 20 times the pay.

and vocational schools teach you about building and fixing and maintaining things, but engineering as a university major is about learning how and why everything works and learning the theory behind it. engineers design 2000 ft skyscrapers and plan it out, and people that chose a vocational school do all the hard work of building it.

Both are perfectly fine directions, and for the average worker they pay about the same, but engineering takes loads more mental work, and if you're great at what you do, you can make loads more than the average.

snoorkel

start web host make 50,000 first yar easy

agreed about math level don't just pick something because it seems useful this is your life and by god your CAREER (more important obvs) you're talking about, choose something that suits your soul

Selkie

Yea I'd go for something that you truly think will be right for you and that you will enjoy.

Every college major and occupation that major leads to has benefits and tradeoffs. Generally better-paying jobs come with more work and more schooling. So really the most important factor is what you enjoy.

Besides, if you and your spouse both make a personal income of like 70,000, really anything more is just luxury money that won't actually make your life any better anyway.

snoorkel

Quote from: Selkie on January 03, 2012, 11:34:29 AM
Yea I'd go for something that you truly think will be right for you and that you will enjoy.

Every college major and occupation that major leads to has benefits and tradeoffs. Generally better-paying jobs come with more work and more schooling. So really the most important factor is what you enjoy.

Besides, if you and your spouse both make a personal income of like 70,000, really anything more is just luxury money that won't actually make your life any better anyway.

hell I'd be happy if I made $32k/yr the rest of my life, what the fuck is there to spend it on anyway? oh yeah kids, that thing you do after college

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: vziard on January 03, 2012, 12:12:12 PM
hell I'd be happy if I made $32k/yr the rest of my life
and then there's inflation

snoorkel

Quote from: <sub>Pancake</sub> <sup>Persona</sup> on January 03, 2012, 12:12:55 PM
and then there's inflation

i'd be happy if I made $32k/yr adjusted for inflation for the rest of my life*

it doesn't matter anyway because I'm killing myself

piano moths

If you really love it then do it I guessssssss!!! Is how it should be. At least with all that money you can get at that real green
kill them w kindness

Go Up