September 28, 2024, 02:26:36 PM

1,531,324 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Have you ever been to church?

Started by Andria, November 15, 2011, 08:57:33 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

PLEASEHELP1991

I love [you]

Socks

Isn't it funny how modern churches are modeled? They resemble a business center from the outside, with all of that glass and predictable geometry, yet inside they form a giant auditorium, with enough seats to fill a stadium. It seems the architecture truly reflects the message.

bluaki

I was baptized not long after birth :'(

My mother goes to church every Easter, maybe half of the Christmases, and used to bring me all the time, but for the last couple of years she's let up on it some.

Hippopo

Quote from: Socks on November 15, 2011, 09:22:04 PM
I don't understand how someone can take an organized religion seriously?
It has a lot to do with community.

And security.

And a promise of happiness.

Overall, it can just feel good to believe.

silvertone

Quote from: Hippopo on November 15, 2011, 09:36:07 PM
It has a lot to do with community.

And security.

And a promise of happiness.

Overall, it can just feel good to believe.
+ food

Socks

I suppose I understand that but I mean deep down you gotta know it's bullshit, right? I have more belief in my weed than I ever will in Jesus.

snoorkel

Quote from: Socks on November 15, 2011, 09:28:53 PM
Isn't it funny how modern churches are modeled? They resemble a business center from the outside, with all of that glass and predictable geometry, yet inside they form a giant auditorium, with enough seats to fill a stadium. It seems the architecture truly reflects the message.

ever been to texas? goowan

Quote from: Socks on November 15, 2011, 09:38:24 PM
I suppose I understand that but I mean deep down you gotta know it's bullshit, right? I have more belief in my weed than I ever will in Jesus.

unfortunately, I think most people leave those 'deep down' criticisms for other people to deal with and will be ok with anything that's just 'good enough'

...makes people really easy to manipulate

PLEASEHELP1991

jews serve more food than christians so much so they have holidays centred on food
I love [you]

bluaki

I suppose I understand that but I mean deep down you gotta know it's bullshit, right?
No, far too many people are somehow unable to recognize that. n_u

I think my mom doesn't truly believe in christianity but goes to church anyways

Hippopo

have more belief in my weed than I ever will in Jesus.
Haha.  You speak the truth here.

And it's hard to say what I believed "deep down" at the peak of my Christianity.  I knew a lot of things were bullshit.  Like the Adam and Eve story and most of the miracles of the old testament.  But I legitimately believed in the existence of God.

It's strange to me now, but I did.

Socks

Quote from: vziard on November 15, 2011, 09:39:00 PM
ever been to texas?

No but I can imagine.

Quote from: vziard on November 15, 2011, 09:39:00 PM
unfortunately, I think most people leave those 'deep down' criticisms for other people to deal with and will be ok with anything that's just 'good enough'

...makes people really easy to manipulate

I have never really taken issue with the notion that one may need a supportive community of like-minded folks in order to overcome some personal difficulty or challenge etc...  However, I take issue with the belief that prayer and worship will form a 'personal relationship with God' that is going to cure ills and bring you happiness. That's so infantile and naive I can't even comprehend what is good about the premise? Aren't I a much tougher, more noble being if I live life righteously alone, and on my own two feet and hands?

PLEASEHELP1991

I love [you]

Hippopo

Quote from: Socks on November 15, 2011, 09:47:57 PM

I have never really taken issue with the notion that one may need a supportive community of like-minded folks in order to overcome some personal difficulty or challenge etc...  However, I take issue with the belief that prayer and worship will form a 'personal relationship with God' that is going to cure ills and bring you happiness. That's so infantile and naive I can't even comprehend what is good about the premise? Aren't I a much tougher, more noble being if I live life righteously alone, and on my own two feet and hands?
Yes, yes, you speak the truth.  Action is more important than prayer.

I want to say I don't understand it as well, but then I remember that I used to do this.  It's really kind of unsettling how easy it is to be manipulated into believing these things.

Socks

And aren't you a philosophy major what the hell!

Hippopo

Quote from: Socks on November 15, 2011, 09:58:32 PM
And aren't you a philosophy major what the hell!
Yes, yes I am.  But to be fair, I was religious going into philosophy.

In the long run, philosophy did wonders for me. 

Go Up