April 27, 2024, 12:33:40 AM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Supposedly great albums you just can't get into

Started by Samus Aran, August 01, 2009, 09:47:34 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

For me, #1 is definitely The Steve Miller Band's Fly Like an Eagle. I just...can't get through it and enjoy it all. I mean, I like the tracks that everyone knows about, like the title track and the other hits in there, and I kinda like "Serenade" and "Mercury Blues," but god that "Space Intro" just pisses me off and I can't stand "Wild Mountain Honey" at all.

Some great album. More than half of it is boring or just plain bad.  akudood;

Mettalik

I don't like the Beatles. I don't understand why they're so special.  doodthing;

Selkie

sans culottes

I support BUSH

Indigo

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Quote from: Kaz on August 04, 2009, 12:25:25 PM
die akudood;
I like all the songs on the album, I just can't "get into them"

This Song is Over is my favorite.

sans culottes

I should mention Sgt. Pepper's.

I'm into it, yes, and it's a great album. In fact, I'm listening to it right now. But I just don't understand how it's called "the best album ever", or even the best Beatles album. The White Album, Revolver, and Abbey Road are so much better.
I support BUSH

Samus Aran

Quote from: coz on August 04, 2009, 06:45:56 PM
I should mention Sgt. Pepper's.

I'm into it, yes, and it's a great album. In fact, I'm listening to it right now. But I just don't understand how it's called "the best album ever", or even the best Beatles album. The White Album, Revolver, and Abbey Road are so much better.

whereas I'm "into" the White Album but I can't understand why it's considered better or even close to as good as albums like Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, and especially Abbey Road

seriously jesus christ so many songs on the White Album that just bring it down my list little by little
akudood;

sans culottes

Well yeah, it's all based on your general outlook towards long albums. It's the same with the Clash's Sandinista - there's a ton of great songs, but there's quite a few that suck. The White Album is 90 minutes long, and 60 of those are fantastic. In my opinion, that's enough to be an excellent album.
I support BUSH

Samus Aran

Quote from: coz on August 04, 2009, 07:03:58 PM
Well yeah, it's all based on your general outlook towards long albums. It's the same with the Clash's Sandinista - there's a ton of great songs, but there's quite a few that suck. The White Album is 90 minutes long, and 60 of those are fantastic. In my opinion, that's enough to be an excellent album.

Oh I agree that it's excellent. It's a fucking great album. It's just that I'm a huge Beatles fan and when it comes to grading their albums side by side it's like "okay, which one of these nearly-perfect albums isn't quite as fantastic as the others?" That's the White Album for me. Most of it I love, but there are more sub-par tracks, at least for a band like The Beatles, on that album than on their other late ones...except for Let it Be, which is easily their worst late album if you ask me.

sans culottes

Are you serious? Let it Be is amazing. The rooftop concert songs are great because it's a complete change from their perfectionist approach. Songs like One After 909 let it all loose - it's like an awesome rock'n'roll dystopia. Then you have the Long and Winding Road, Across the Universe, Let it Be, all of those which are excellent and moving tunes. I love every bit of that album.

Of course, nothing compares to Revolver. Holy shit, that album is amazing.
I support BUSH

Samus Aran

Quote from: coz on August 04, 2009, 08:10:36 PM
Are you serious? Let it Be is amazing. The rooftop concert songs are great because it's a complete change from their perfectionist approach. Songs like One After 909 let it all loose - it's like an awesome rock'n'roll dystopia. Then you have the Long and Winding Road, Across the Universe, Let it Be, all of those which are excellent and moving tunes. I love every bit of that album.

Of course, nothing compares to Revolver. Holy shit, that album is amazing.

Abbey Road is easily my favorite. akudood;

Go Up