June 30, 2024, 11:00:18 AM

1,531,274 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Syncronized Electronics

Started by The artist formally known, July 26, 2009, 03:44:26 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

The artist formally known

Does anyone link their computers together? Of so how? I can't wait til it's absolutely normal for all electronics in houses are linked together. Like speakers, TVs, computers, maybe even AC and lighting.

Seriously, to be able to play a video from your computer and stream it to your TV would be so bad ass. Windows 7 has the features but you'll have to get the adapter for your TV or get one with a built in adapter.

Also assuming you have the right equipment, you can controll lighting, TVs, and computers from an iPhone. Sooooo fucking cool.

Petro

Quote from: reefer on July 26, 2009, 03:44:26 PM
Does anyone link their computers together? Of so how? I can't wait til it's absolutely normal for all electronics in houses are linked together. Like speakers, TVs, computers, maybe even AC and lighting.

Seriously, to be able to play a video from your computer and stream it to your TV would be so bad ass. Windows 7 has the features but you'll have to get the adapter for your TV or get one with a built in adapter.

Also assuming you have the right equipment, you can controll lighting, TVs, and computers from an iPhone. Sooooo fucking cool.
It's pretty kickass having my DVR hooked up to the network so I can watch stuff on my computer that is actually good while others are watching shit on the TV.
Hopefully that's how it works.

I just bought two powerline ethernet adapters off of eBay.  We'll see how well they work.

snorkel

I don't really use my macbook pro frequently enough to have it synced with my other mac, although I've tried before, and it didn't really work. I probably didn't try hard enough

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

my friend has this thing called the period and it syncs up with other women.

bluaki

Lots of computers have S-video output or something of the sort. HDMI outputting video cards aren't quite so common but they do exist.
One premium extra-cost feature of Verizon's fios TV service is something that can load videos from a computer to the set top box over the network.
In terms of linking computers together, LAN is pretty easy to set up. Though, hardware like speakers aren't shared over LAN, but printers are.
With correct video capture devices, a computer can be fully interconnected with a TV, even with the TV using a computer's speakers and vice-versa. HD capture devices aren't so easy to find, though.
I've never actually seen any lighting, fans, AC, etc. controlled by computer before.

I have my TV and computer connected together every way possible. My TV's input switcher thing which has a second output for my computer's video capture device and line-in audio. My computer is set up to use its S-video-out as a second (though low-res) screen.

Blaze-Senpai

I find it a better idea to just have a HTPC as a server hooked up to the biggest tv in a house with a nice sound system; and have any other computers connected to it so you can stream from anywhere in a house. Plus, guests can use it when they come over.

August 01, 2009, 10:35:52 PM #6 Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 05:26:00 PM by reefer
Quote from: ã'ã‚·ã'£ã'¢-せんぱい on August 01, 2009, 02:04:52 PM
I find it a better idea to just have a HTPC as a server hooked up to the biggest tv in a house with a nice sound system; and have any other computers connected to it so you can stream from anywhere in a house. Plus, guests can use it when they come over.
So how do I setup a computer as a personal server?

And how would you access those files? Via FTP?

Blaze-Senpai

Quote from: reefer on August 01, 2009, 10:35:52 PM
So how do I setup a computer as a personal server?

And how would you access those files? Via FTP?
If you set up the server at home, you can at least access the files anytime you want rather easily. Through the internet would require high upload/download speeds, and would probably cost a bit.

Home networking really isn't hard.

Quote from: ã'ã‚·ã'£ã'¢-せんぱい on August 04, 2009, 09:56:12 PM
If you set up the server at home, you can at least access the files anytime you want rather easily. Through the internet would require high upload/download speeds, and would probably cost a bit.

Home networking really isn't hard.
I'll look into it, right now though ants have crawled into my two keyboards and shit sucks.

I used the wrong words but I planned to home network in the first place, just didn't know the proper name.

Cool, I just setup my home network. Now just need to get a keyboard and mouse and some ethernet cables.  happydood;

Blaze-Senpai

Quote from: reefer on August 05, 2009, 09:29:58 PM
Cool, I just setup my home network. Now just need to get a keyboard and mouse and some ethernet cables.  happydood;
Could always go wireless, but yeah; nowhere near the speeds of wired.

See if you can go Gigabit all the way though.

Quote from: ã'ã‚·ã'£ã'¢-せんぱい on August 05, 2009, 09:48:48 PM
Could always go wireless, but yeah; nowhere near the speeds of wired.

See if you can go Gigabit all the way though.
My TV computer is about 10 feet from my router so I'm good. Ordered some for $5.

Blaze-Senpai

Quote from: reefer on August 05, 2009, 10:04:48 PM
My TV computer is about 10 feet from my router so I'm good. Ordered some for $5.
If you need help with anything, you can find me on AIM or something... I have a new one though.. I should update.

Alright I'll keep that in mind.

Stupid Vista and Ubuntu don't work with my keyboard and mouse setup so I either have to get XP or get a new keyboard/mouse. Probably go for XP since Ubuntu isn't my favorite.

Blaze-Senpai

Quote from: reefer on August 06, 2009, 10:43:38 PM
Alright I'll keep that in mind.

Stupid Vista and Ubuntu don't work with my keyboard and mouse setup so I either have to get XP or get a new keyboard/mouse. Probably go for XP since Ubuntu isn't my favorite.
I wonder why something as simple as a keyboard wouldn't work, but I'm not in a place to ask too many questions.

Go Up