Microsoft opening stores next to Apple this fall.

Started by The artist formally known, July 17, 2009, 02:40:25 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Thyme

Quote from: Дави́д on July 20, 2009, 02:20:45 AM
[spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler]

Also, the move tag doesn't work in spoilers, Eighty-Six. hocuspocus;[/spoiler]

Hiro

Thyme

Quote from: Hïro on July 20, 2009, 10:51:09 AM
I never understood that
what's the joke

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/07/01/dead-space-extraction-box-art-is-terrified-and-screaming/

QuoteWe're all for equal opportunities in the space monster-battling workplace, but this terrified and screaming woman is using Isaac's plasma cutter -- is she a space-engineer too? We suppose anything will do when you're terrified and screaming for your life. Try not to look at the artwork too long, you might get the image of that poor woman's face stuck in your head, like we have ...

Following that article, every single article for the day would contain that girl's face in some way or another.

Hiro

Quote from: Thyme on July 20, 2009, 11:04:12 AM
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/07/01/dead-space-extraction-box-art-is-terrified-and-screaming/

Following that article, every single article for the day would contain that girl's face in some way or another.
yeah i saw that
gizmodo did it too i think
but i don't get it, what's so funny about that? Sure it's a stupid face and all, but I don't know why it would be that funny

Thyme

Quote from: Hïro on July 20, 2009, 11:59:54 AM
yeah i saw that
gizmodo did it too i think
but i don't get it, what's so funny about that? Sure it's a stupid face and all, but I don't know why it would be that funny

Ah.
well yeah i don't know either

strongbad

Quote from: Prowling Kewn on July 20, 2009, 02:47:38 AM
John Hodgman is awesome. madood;

I went to one of his shows during his book tour. He is hilarious.

snorkel

I don't know if it's been said in the thread already, but they're also planning to "strategically locate" the stores right next to Apple stores.

I don't really understand Microsoft's advertising/PR department; seems like with all their money they could come up with ideas better than commercials about how expensive Macs are and stores with uncannily similar themes and locations

Daddy

Quote from: wziard on July 20, 2009, 08:34:27 PM
I don't know if it's been said in the thread already, but they're also planning to "strategically locate" the stores right next to Apple stores.

I don't really understand Microsoft's advertising/PR department; seems like with all their money they could come up with ideas better than commercials about how expensive Macs are and stores with uncannily similar themes and locations
They could spend that money writing a new kernel.

One that doesn't use a registry.

snorkel

Quote from: Prowling Kewn on July 20, 2009, 09:55:23 PM
They could spend that money writing a new kernel.

One that doesn't use a registry.

word

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

they should build it entirely out of first generation zunes.

strongbad

Quote from: UnSid on July 21, 2009, 10:44:57 AM
they should build it entirely out of first generation zunes.

It wouldn't take that many Zunes.

j o e i n c

I wonder if the employees will be any more cult like than the apple ones.

Daddy

Quote from: xXTheHaunted on July 23, 2009, 08:48:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEW8ITpUvSs
That looks really boring. The atmosphere basically is that of Best Buy or Walmart's Electronics section with just Microsoft products. If they're trying to compete against the Apple Stores they can't do that.

Apple Stores are designed to seem really friendly and welcoming: not to seem like another generic electronics store.  They pay attention to lighting, furniture, employee clothing, employee personality, and all of that.  Microsoft is really missing the point of people going to the Apple Store for the atmosphere and that is why the stores are so successful. People go in just because it's not the same environment as Best Buy.  They are able to play around with all of the computers. A friendly, upbeat employee not wearing the generic--usually blue--collared shirt approaches them and tries to make a sale without being forceful.  Even if there is no sale at the time, the customer remembers this and will eventually come back and have a sale.

Just look at the differences:

Microsoft is missing the point completely.

Smell Memory

wouldn't they go in the generic looking store because of familiarity  madood;
Felt: because politics are for fools y/n
Felt: goldfrapp controls everything.

Go Up