May 12, 2024, 05:53:53 AM

1,531,625 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Do You Believe in God?

Started by Daddy, April 16, 2007, 04:13:26 PM

previous topic - next topic

Do you believe in God?

Yes.
63 (38.7%)
No.
66 (40.5%)
I'm not sure
34 (20.9%)

Total Members Voted: 147

Go Down

Daddy

22 And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth.
 23 And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.
 24 And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so.
 25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
 26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.  (Genesis Chapter 1)

7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
 8 And the LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.
 18 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
 19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.
 20 And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him.
 21 And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;
 22 And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.
 23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.
 24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
 25 And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.
(Genesis Chapter 2)

Why is it that Chapter one of Genesis states that Animals were created first, then humans(male and female, at the same time) were created?

Chapter 2 then states that Adam was created, then animals, then Eve.  It's a major contradiction, there is no explaination for it in the Bible.  I brought this up in a debate at NSider(remind me to never debate there again.) when some one tried defending their homophobia by saying that the Bible is perfect and should be followed.   They said "it was a mistake".  I doubt something "so perfect, and the word of god" would contain such a major error, yet still be so clear on hating people for their preferences...  I'm getting a bit off topic, I'll get back to my main point.

The Bible contains many contradictions--it doesn't even try to explain them.  Although major errors in the Bible did have some effect on why I became an Atheist, they shouldn't be considered a major reason. I just find it irksome that over a Billion people live by a book with so many contradictory statements.

Also, can anyone tell me what the fuck this means?
Quote4 These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens,
 5 And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground.

All I understood is that there were no people to till the ground to cultivate the crops.

Daddy

Quote from: Nathan on June 11, 2007, 11:18:33 PM
No.

*Insert 60 paragraphs explaining why*.
As I said to iamhollywood, please put more thought into your replies on this board. This is your only warning.

Nate

Quote from: JMV290 on June 11, 2007, 11:20:24 PM
No.

As I said to iamhollywood, please put more thought into your replies on this board. This is your only warning.

Shut up.

JUST FOR JMV LOL.

I don't believe in god because I don't give a shit about religion.

Pancake Paraphernalia

No.

I could fill more than 60 paragraphs why. Also it is that scientifically God really can't exist unless he lives in some unknown planet,or somewhere near the end of space.
number stations

Daddy

Quote from: DecembeR on June 12, 2007, 06:47:20 PM
No.

I could fill more than 60 paragraphs why. Also it is that scientifically God really can't exist unless he lives in some unknown planet,or somewhere near the end of space.
The most interesting theory I've heard is that God exists as Dark Matter and Dark Energy.   I don't believe it, but as for theories towards religion I find that one to be the most convincing.

iamhollywood

June 12, 2007, 07:08:59 PM #200 Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 07:11:55 PM by iamhollywood
JMV, about the comment about spontaneous combustion and how it does not relate to evolution. In its time, it was the big deal man. The whole concept was that things such as flies spontaneously combusted from a pile of trash. In other words, trash EVOLVED into flies. Of course we know now that the flies were laying eggs in the trash then growing. That has nothing to do with evolution.  educate;

post scriptum: Alright, JMV, I'll leave the sarcasm out of here. It's all game now.  stealth;

Daddy

Quote from: iamhollywood on June 12, 2007, 07:08:59 PM
JMV, about the comment about spontaneous combustion and how it does not relate to evolution. In its time, it was the big deal man. The whole concept was that things such as flies spontaneously combusted from a pile of trash. In other words, trash EVOLVED into flies. Of course we know now that the flies were laying eggs in the trash then growing. That has nothing to do with evolution.  educate;
Oh, you're using the wrong term. Spontaneous Combustion has to do with fire. You're thinking of abiogenesis.

ncba93ivyase

... Spontaneous combustion is when something just bursts into flames. Spontaneous generation is when something comes from nothing. e.g., god and the beginning of the universe.

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

iamhollywood

June 12, 2007, 07:13:59 PM #203 Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 07:17:24 PM by iamhollywood
Quote from: JMV290 on June 12, 2007, 07:11:06 PM
Oh, you're using the wrong term. Spontaneous Combustion has to do with fire. You're thinking of abiogenesis.

Hmmm. I had always been taught that it was "spontaneous combustion". Maybe I am getting Biology II and Chemistry mixed up. Haha.

Quote from: Lawlz on June 12, 2007, 07:12:30 PM
... Spontaneous combustion is when something just bursts into flames. Spontaneous generation is when something comes from nothing. e.g., god and the beginning of the universe.

Ahh Yeah, GENERATION. And nice weak shot; I'm glad the extent of your debating has degraded itself to making irrelevent low blows. Care to tell us how you believe the universe was made?

sebastian

QuoteChapter 2 then states that Adam was created, then animals, then Eve.  It's a major contradiction, there is no explaination for it in the Bible.  I brought this up in a debate at NSider(remind me to never debate there again.) when some one tried defending their homophobia by saying that the Bible is perfect and should be followed.   They said "it was a mistake".  I doubt something "so perfect, and the word of god" would contain such a major error, yet still be so clear on hating people for their preferences...  I'm getting a bit off topic, I'll get back to my main point.

You are misinterpreting it. By "form" it doesn't mean He "created" them and brought them, it means He gathered all the animals and brought them to Adam. And of course there is no explanation for it, there are tons of places where they use words like that. It's just the translation of the Bible. I'm sure if you compared whatever version you got that from with a different version, they would use different words.

And don't try to debate religion on Nsider. You've probably been told that before, I'm sure. But most people on Nsider who debate like that are not actually devout Christians, they're only playing by the rules that their parents taught them. And it's sad, really, because they aren't actually following God's Word, instead, they are following their parents'.

Quote... Spontaneous combustion is when something just bursts into flames. Spontaneous generation is when something comes from nothing. e.g., god and the beginning of the universe

God did not come from nothing, He has always existed. And He created the universe from His words. But hey, now we're getting back into those things where you have to have faith in it merely to believe it. I understand your case, I just can't explain it to you.

And don't think I'm backing out. I'm just not a Bible-physicist. I've had plenty of debates with people who take theories like evolution and compare them to the Bible, and they're very good. I just don't want to tell you anything that may just be my own way of thinking it through.
QuoteDon't worry, if you've got nothing to hide, there'll never be a reason to hook electrodes to you genitals.

Daddy

June 12, 2007, 07:19:12 PM #205 Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 07:22:15 PM by JMV290

Quote from: iamhollywood

Ahh Yeah, GENERATION. And nice weak shot; I'm glad the extent of your debating has degraded itself to making irrelevent low blows. Care to tell us how you believe the universe was made?
I don't believe he was attempting to get a "low blow".   The big bang just happened, it doesn't appear as if there was anything to set it off.  That is what he was talking about.

edit: I fucked up the quotes, sorry.

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: sebastian on June 12, 2007, 07:18:19 PM

God did not come from nothing, He has always existed. And He created the universe from His words. But hey, now we're getting back into those things where you have to have faith in it merely to believe it. I understand your case, I just can't explain it to you.

And don't think I'm backing out. I'm just not a Bible-physicist. I've had plenty of debates with people who take theories like evolution and compare them to the Bible, and they're very good. I just don't want to tell you anything that may just be my own way of thinking it through.
Infinity doesn't exist. If something does exist, it has a beginning and end; unless it's an endless loop, which is highly unlikely.

@whatshisface: Both the universe and god supposedly came from nothing. Supporters of theism and the big bang theory say something has always existed. It's rather foolish for a person to say mass and energy can't come from nowhere, yet try to measure the age and extent of the universe. Also, if some being can create a universe, doesn't that mean spontaneous generation is real?

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

sebastian

Quote from: JMV290 on June 12, 2007, 07:19:12 PM

Quote from: iamhollywood

I don't believe he was attempting to get a "low blow".   The big bang just happened, it doesn't appear as if there was anything to set it off.  That is what he was talking about.

edit: I fucked up the quotes, sorry.

Actually, there are tons of theories of how the big bang happened. One of the most-known is that there were tons of gasses (or gases, if you like) floating around. And they began to spin and spin and spin, then, in a 1X10^1,000,000/1 chance (which has proven to be completely impossible after 1X10^50), they created everything. But, that was proven wrong, after we learned that some planets spin in another direction than others. And, as it has been proven many times, if one object is spinning in one direction, then splits into many pieces, all the pieces have to be spinning in the same direction. In fact, the big bang theory isn't even considered a theory anymore. Now it's just a thesis, and very few people believe it (if you read evolution books, the authors will even admit that "the beginning of the universe cannot be explained").

QuoteIt's rather foolish for a person to say mass and energy can't come from nowhere,

Then I guess my above paragraph was not needed. :P

Quotef something does exist, it has a beginning and end; unless it's an endless loop, which is highly unlikely.

At the risk of sounding biased, who said God had to be scientifically explained? Like I said, it takes faith to even begin to believe it. Which is why I usually don't participate in these debates.
QuoteDon't worry, if you've got nothing to hide, there'll never be a reason to hook electrodes to you genitals.

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: sebastian on June 12, 2007, 07:31:56 PM

At the risk of sounding biased, who said God had to be scientifically explained? Like I said, it takes faith to even begin to believe it. Which is why I usually don't participate in these debates.
Pastafarianism is supported by science, and it also relies on faith.

Pancake Paraphernalia

Seriously. Think. Scientifically, GOD IS NOT REAL. BELIEVE IT.
number stations

Go Up