May 12, 2024, 11:26:43 PM

1,531,625 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Do You Believe in God?

Started by Daddy, April 16, 2007, 04:13:26 PM

previous topic - next topic

Do you believe in God?

Yes.
63 (38.7%)
No.
66 (40.5%)
I'm not sure
34 (20.9%)

Total Members Voted: 147

Go Down

Daddy

Quote from: iamhollywood on June 14, 2007, 11:30:30 PM

post scriptum: Technically you wouldn't be crucified Jesus-style in 20 A.D. seeing as how Christ wouldn't be crucified for another nine to thirteen years later.
He wasn't the first person to be crucified on the cross.  It had existed for years before he was born.

Jesus was crucified for Blasphemy,  although he wasn't questioning God's existence, he was questioning the religion of the time.   

After Christianity gained power it was the atheists and those who challenged the power of the church with science that were persecuted.   It's the same thing.   Questioning the religious beliefs enforced at the times could result in your death.  Of course the people wouldn't question Christianity(as said in your post several posts earlier)

iamhollywood

Quote from: JMV290 on June 14, 2007, 11:39:44 PM
Quote from: iamhollywood on June 14, 2007, 11:30:30 PM

post scriptum: Technically you wouldn't be crucified Jesus-style in 20 A.D. seeing as how Christ wouldn't be crucified for another nine to thirteen years later.
He wasn't the first person to be crucified on the cross.  It had existed for years before he was born.

Jesus was crucified for Blasphemy,  although he wasn't questioning God's existence, he was questioning the religion of the time.   

After Christianity gained power it was the atheists and those who challenged the power of the church with science that were persecuted.   It's the same thing.   Questioning the religious beliefs enforced at the times could result in your death.  Of course the people wouldn't question Christianity(as said in your post several posts earlier)

That wasn't the purpose of my P.S. I was saying, if you were crucified in 20 A.D. it wouldn't be "Jesus-style". I don't doubt people were crucified in 20 A.D. It was their weapon of choice. And I agree with you, after the switch in power people were being persecuted for going against The Church (The Roman Catholic). That is wrong. The whole concept of being a Christian is built around choice. You choose to accept Christ as your Savior. The father of Protestantism (that is probably not the right word, but you understand the point) Martin Luther was excommunicated from The Church--which was the world power at that time--for having differing beliefs. He wasn't even denying God; he was disagreeing with The Church. Things should not be like that. Anyways, I'm sure you already knew this, JMV. This isn't really a point of debate. I'm just informing others.

Pancake Paraphernalia

Everything goes against each other, but I still think the things about how god is fake sounds more believable than angels knocking on Mary's door telling her she was raped and is now pregnant.
number stations

iamhollywood

Quote from: DecembeR on June 21, 2007, 05:37:33 PM
Everything goes against each other, but I still think the things about how god is fake sounds more believable than angels knocking on Mary's door telling her she was raped and is now pregnant.

I'm glad you solved the mystery of why atheists always argue against Christians. You my friend are a genius.

No one said the Bible was believable. If God was mundane and ordinary, maybe what you call "BELIEVABLE", I wouldn't want to worship Him.

post scriptum: Mary wasn't RAPED. Try reading the Bible sometime before you come to false conclusions.

YPrrrr

Quote from: James on June 13, 2007, 09:34:08 PM
Quote from: sebastian on June 13, 2007, 09:30:19 PM

Science is only today's religion. The only reason so many people do not believe God exists today is because it is not so widely-expressed as it was, say, in 20 A.D. I'm sure, had you lived in those days, you wouldn't have a doubt in your heart that God existed. People have just focused on science so much that it has become their god, in a sense.

In 20 A.D. you'd be crucified Jesus style if you said God didn't exist.  Of course you wouldn't have a doubt, you'd be murdered by the government if you did.
No you wouldn't... The Romans did the crucifying, and they wouldn't care enough to crucify everyone who said that, especially considering that they did not believe in monotheism themselves... You might be stoned to death by the pharisees, but that's another story navi;

And people are pathetic when it comes to beliefs... the majority, religious or atheist, always seems to opress the minorities. For example, communist countries (atheist) sure aren't very accepting of the religious...

I myself believe in God, and I don't really see any point in arguing it (although I will because I'm a stubborn a**hole). It can't be proven one way or the other, and going the "scientific" route is just stupid. Not everything can be proven scientifically. Hell, just look at sports... the best overall team does not always win... Not everything in life can be figured out with equations...

Finally, I just want to say anyone who denies Jesus' existance is retarded, since there's proof he lived...

Eru_Roraito

Will eat for food.

guff

just1more

Pancake Paraphernalia

number stations

[REDACTED]

I do not have HIV/AIDS.

Nintendude#1

Andrew1911

Gitominoti

I believe in God. Who do you think made this world? Who made living things? How do you explain Jesus?

Houdini

Quote from: Gitominoti on July 15, 2007, 05:05:26 AM
How do you explain Jesus?
He was a guy who may or may not have existed but didn't perform miracles as the Bible says?

guff

Go Up