September 27, 2024, 02:21:41 AM

1,531,323 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

English speaking Quebec gamers get shafted by the law

Started by StarPilot, April 02, 2009, 10:39:58 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

StarPilot

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/04/02/quebec-law-outlaws-english-only-titles/

QuoteBeginning today, if you live in Quebec and want to buy a game that doesn't contain French text or voice-over -- you can't. You'll have to wait until one becomes available. Which, in many cases, can take weeks or months (or never happen at all).

The Toronto Star reports that the new law is meant to "promote and protect the French language." The paper spoke with one retailer who says that goal carries a high price. "I'm afraid it's going to cost me my business," said Ronnie Rondeau, who owns eight Game Buzz stores in Montreal. "If it really was going to make a difference, I'd be for it, but only a small number of people want to play in French."

Quebec's government threatened legal action against Nintendo and Sony in 1999 if the companies did not begin including a French language option in games (and game manuals) they published in the territory. The companies complied, and many third-parties produce French localizations of their games -- but work often isn't started until after the English version ships.

Even the head of the Entertainment Software Association of Canada, Danielle Parr, admitted to the paper that French-language games -- designed for release in France -- may never make it to Quebec due to the province's relatively small market. That being the case, some games will never be released there.

So if you live in Quebec, you'll either have to drive to another area to buy an English copy, wait for the French version to be made (if that happens), or brush up on your pirate imitations.

Samus Aran

Or order online, which is the best way to buy games anyway, so no loss.  bassir;

Thyme

Well, I'm not really worried, to be honest. As it's been pointed out by a few Joystiq commenters, it only affects games that already do have an existing French version. If it doesn't exist yet, they can sell English copies as long as the packaging and the manual are in French (and for the last two years every single game sold in Quebec has had such packaging, that's really not a problem). If they do exist (but not all on the same disc), retailers are still allowed to sell English copies as long as they also have French copies.

This also works on used games, but only of the current generation and future generations of gaming.

All in all, silly Americans English Canadians trying to make us look bad. hocuspocus;

Edit: OH WAIT I FORGOT ABOUT THE THREAD TITLE

Well, I don't care much about English-speaking Quebec gamers. Actually, they can suck my dick. happydood;

The artist formally known

Quote from: Kaz on April 02, 2009, 11:28:22 PM
Or order online, which is the best way to buy games anyway, so no loss.  bassir;
Why is that the best?

eBay is a little overpriced in my opinion. Sure sometimes they're the cheapest but if you can find it in Gamestop in the used pile thats usually the cheapest. Target and Gamestop and whatever's new games are always the same price.

Online is too except shipping and it takes a good 2-5 days.

Samus Aran

strongbad

Quote from: reefer on April 03, 2009, 12:06:48 AM
Why is that the best?

eBay is a little overpriced in my opinion. Sure sometimes they're the cheapest but if you can find it in Gamestop in the used pile thats usually the cheapest. Target and Gamestop and whatever's new games are always the same price.

Online is too except shipping and it takes a good 2-5 days.

I always use half.com. It generally has everything at least $5 cheaper than the competition.

Go Up