September 28, 2024, 08:35:01 AM

1,531,324 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

OnLive

Started by Hiro, March 24, 2009, 03:43:50 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Hiro

March 24, 2009, 03:43:50 PM Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 03:50:54 PM by Hïro

www.onlive.com

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-10202688-235.html

http://kotaku.com/5181625/see-onlive-in-action

Okay, so here's how it works: you subscribe to their service, and from their application, you can stream games from any PC, just by logging in. Even if your computer is total shit (like mine) or isn't available on Mac, the games are still played because here's the hook: all of the game processes are handled on their servers and streamed to your PC.
And these aren't just shitty little game either; they've got  plenty of publishers behind them: EA, Ubisoft, Take-Two, and more.  If there isn't much lag, I could really get into this. Playing Crysis on an Eee PC? Count me in.
It also offers an online community and replays that you can show your friends.

And if you're more of a console gamer, they also have a mini-player that will hook up to your TV and comes with a controller:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Now, that device has no confirmed price point, but is said to be cheaper than a Wii, so that's nice.

So what do you think?
It looks to me while it's not perfect, it could still be the next big thing, although I'm sure it won't be a "Nintendo-killer" or anything like they say it is.

Zach

This has failure written all over it.

Thyme

Quote from: Hïro on March 24, 2009, 03:43:50 PM
streamed to your PC

Fuck this shit. baddood;

Furthermore, fuck all those developers who think everyone have an unlimited plan at home. baddood;

Classic

I see this being as successful as the plug in and play consoles with games.

Hiro

Quote from: Thyme on March 24, 2009, 04:22:04 PM
Fuck this shit. baddood;

Furthermore, fuck all those developers who think everyone have an unlimited plan at home. baddood;
Wait, you pay for internet by the minute?

What the hell, I thought they stopped doing that 10 years ago  doodhuh;

Zach

Quote from: Thyme on March 24, 2009, 04:22:04 PM
Fuck this shit. baddood;

I'd forgotten that you're the one with the super fucking slow Internet.

Hiro

Quote from: Zach on March 24, 2009, 04:19:49 PM
This has failure written all over it.
There's a ton that could go wrong with it, but early reports say it plays great. After all, they've been working on it for 7 years or something  baddood;

Thyme

Quote from: Hïro on March 24, 2009, 04:28:52 PM
Wait, you pay for internet by the minute?

What the hell, I thought they stopped doing that 10 years ago  doodhuh;

No. I have a download cap of 20GB and an upload cap of 10GB per month. Beyond that, it's 8 fucking dollars per additional gig.

On a side note, beginning next month it's changing to a cumulative streaming cap of 30GB. I don't upload much, so it gives us some margin. Anyway, that's what I meant by not unlimited.

Hiro

Quote from: Thyme on March 24, 2009, 04:34:02 PM
No. I have a download cap of 20GB and an upload cap of 10GB per month. Beyond that, it's 8 fucking dollars per additional gig.

On a side note, beginning next month it's changing to a cumulative streaming cap of 30GB. I don't upload much, so it gives us some margin. Anyway, that's what I meant by not unlimited.
Well they've obviously thought this stuff through, so I doubt it will be a problem.
It's only a 1mb download, and then you sending button information and them streaming the video back to you.

Classic

7 years or not, it's gonna suck.

Thyme

Quote from: Hïro on March 24, 2009, 04:35:26 PM
Well they've obviously thought this stuff through, so I doubt it will be a problem.
It's only a 1mb download, and then you sending button information and them streaming the video back to you.

Where do you think that streamed video comes from? hocuspocus;

Zach

Quote from: ãÆ'ªã‚ºãÆ' å¤©å›½ã‚´ãÆ'¼ãÆ'«ãÆ'‰ on March 24, 2009, 04:35:56 PM
7 years or not, it's gonna suck.

Exactly. The idea is that eventually everyone will use this service to game through their Internet. You can't honestly expect this to work, or at least not for another few years. I mean, who wants to be playing offline games and have things lag like fuck if something happens to their connection? Also, think about the bandwidth that would be required to make this work. It's ridiculous.

Besides, I don't even want to play all my games through the Internet. I like owning consoles and physical copies of games. I like going out to GameStop, buying a game, and bringing it home to play for the first time. This is just another step towards a download-only, one-console future, and despite the hype such as future has been given by people like Denis Dyack, I'm not down with that.

Hiro

Way to have a positive attitude guys. thumbup;

Hiro

You guys aren't getting the concept.
I like having physical games too, but this isn't meant to replace gaming consoles or gaming rigs or anything, you would see that if you watched the video. The point of it is to be able to play your games on any computer, even if the computer kinda sucks. It's meant to expand the PC gaming audience for people like me who simply can't afford or feel the need to have a top-of-the-line gaming rig.

Classic

IF I WANTED TO DOWNLOAD GAMES, COULDN'T I JUST GET WIIWARE/DSI GAMES?
COULDN'T GENO GET ON THE XBLA MARKET AND GET DOWNLOADABLE GAMES?
COULDN'T RAWL GET ON THE PS NETWORK AND DOWNLOAD GAMES?

You're missing the point, Hiro.
Wii, XBox 360, and PS3 already have games made by big companies available to download without using a computer access.

Go Up