October 05, 2024, 03:34:37 PM

1,531,325 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

shumps

Started by The artist formally known, January 27, 2008, 06:01:16 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

The artist formally known

thread for lawlz but here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jafbKIBUws

and ikuruga before kaz mentions it.

ncba93ivyase

For some reason I hate 3D shmups. Everything just feels fat and not as cool.

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

NOA_Haunted

Feynman

NOA_Haunted

YPrrrr

KonohaShinobi

Star Fox is pretty much the only Smhup I've played. Any good suggestions preferably on the DS or GBA or Wii's VC?

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: KonohaShinobi on January 27, 2008, 01:56:44 PM
Star Fox is pretty much the only Smhup I've played. Any good suggestions preferably on the DS or GBA or Wii's VC?
NANOSTRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

mariofreak

i laughed at how many times shmup was misspelled in this thread

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: KonohaShinobi on January 27, 2008, 01:56:44 PM
Axelay, Gradius III, anything on the TG16, and the upcoming Fantasy Zone.

The only DS shmup is Nanostray, and the GBA has like 3 and Iridion 2 is supposedly the best.

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

Samus Aran

Well I haven't really been into the genre very long, but I have a few scrolling shmups that I enjoy.

Gradius III (SNES)
Thunder Force II (Gen)
Ikaruga (GCN)

Though TFII isn't actually all that great, I guess. It switches between bland overhead Xevious-style missions and cool Gradius-style side-scrolling missions.

Ikaruga kicks serious ass, and Gradius III has some flaws (oh god the slowdown) but it's still pretty good overall.

All the other ones I've played I've either emulated or have played on someone else's consoles.

NOA_Haunted

Quote from: Birth Man on January 27, 2008, 02:26:33 PM
i laughed at how many times shmup was misspelled in this thread
Why did you think I asked?

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: Kaz on January 27, 2008, 03:49:35 PM
Ikaruga kicks serious ass, and Gradius III has some flaws (oh god the slowdown) but it's still pretty good overall.

I actually like slowdown to some degree. Without it, dodging is nigh impossible in most games. If Gradius III had no slowdown, I couldn't have possibly beat it without blatantly cheating.

Axelay has no slowdown at all, but the action isn't nearly as chaotic and you have far greater weapons and the ability to attack anything around you, s it's fine.

the reason why i suck so much at arcade shmups is because you can only fire forward and very few have slowdown and your ship is often so slow that you can't get away from those hugeass bullets :'(

And because some, LIKE GUNBIRD 2, have the hit boxes in some weirdass space, like your head and 2 pixels in front of it.

The artist formally known

i dont like that many but i'd like to change that. played a lot of rtype when i was little, the gameboy one really.

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: reefer on January 27, 2008, 10:30:41 PM
i dont like that many but i'd like to change that. played a lot of rtype when i was little, the gameboy one really.
I'll take it.

but yeah go for the ones i listed

Also, if you find it, buy Life Force. It's one of the absolute bests.

Go Up