September 20, 2024, 07:44:47 PM

1,531,318 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

The Golden Compass

Started by Himu, December 10, 2007, 09:04:20 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Himu

I dont know if this is supposed to be in the Arts Discussion, but we discussed it in class.  And my school wants us o boycott it for being satanic because of the kids destroying God on the end or something.  And I got in an arguement with some people who are going to start a boycott and they asked if I wanted to join.  I said, "No. Just because the movie doesnt exactly appeal to the Christians, it doesnt mean we should boycott it because it's from an author with a different point of view.  Atheists didnt boycott The Chronicles of Narnia I think so we should just keep our mouth shut.  It's not like people would care anyway."

I'm just wondering if I was a retard or if I had a point. caterpie;
They said I'm not a true Christian and should get saved before I end up in hell.

Samus Aran

Congrats, you're surrounded by the kind of people that make Christians look crazy.

First of all, it's not Satanic. If they can't even see the difference between the promotion of atheism and satanism, they're even dumber than I thought.

But yeah, the book and movie certainly have plenty of references that could one to believe that the message is "be atheist," but the original author has stated that that wasn't really his original intent.

Himu

Quote from: Speedykaz on December 10, 2007, 09:09:41 PM
Congrats, you're surrounded by the kind of people that make Christians look crazy.

First of all, it's not Satanic. If they can't even see the difference between the promotion of atheism and satanism, they're even dumber than I thought.

But yeah, the book and movie certainly have plenty of references that could one to believe that the message is "be atheist," but the original author has stated that that wasn't really his original intent.
I have to pretend to be a Christian just so I wont be hated in the school.  Only my best friend knows my secret because she told me I could trust her with anything. Apparently she isnt a Christian either. magician;

Daddy

oh boy a work of fiction influencing the religious beliefs of children. Where has that happened before?   powerofone;

Yes, they are completely retarded-- and not because they are Christians, but because they think the story is the worst thing ever and is going to destroy our species with immorality.

Himu

When my Bible teacher asks me how my Christmas break was, who dares me to say I watched the Golden Compass and loved it and the message.  By all means, I will. powerofone;

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Quote from: Plusle on December 10, 2007, 09:18:36 PM
When my Bible teacher asks me how my Christmas break was, who dares me to say I watched the Golden Compass and loved it and the message.  By all means, I will. powerofone;
I TRIPLE DOG DARE YOU.

Samus Aran

Quote from: Plusle on December 10, 2007, 09:18:36 PM

Draw a pentagram on your right breast and flash her after you say it.

Himu

Quote from: Speedykaz on December 10, 2007, 09:20:05 PM
Draw a pentagram on your right breast and flash her after you say it.
I drew one on my books before, and he said,"Do you know what THAT symbolizes?!?!?!?!"  And I have a transparent skull notebook.  So dont think I wont. caterpie;

Samus Aran

Quote from: Plusle on December 10, 2007, 09:21:12 PM
I drew one on my books before, and he said,"Do you know what THAT symbolizes?!?!?!?!"  And I have a transparent skull notebook.  So dont think I wont. caterpie;

Also tell her you lost your virginity to a Satanist.

Then pretend to cast a spell on her.

Himu

Quote from: Speedykaz on December 10, 2007, 09:22:30 PM
Also tell her you lost your virginity to a Satanist.

Then pretend to cast a spell on her.
My best friend and I make jokes like that ALL the time. 

Hensa

i saw it despite my beliefs. and personally... it was eye candy but otherwise it sucked.

Firebird

I've heard the movie isn't that great, but it should be noted that the books are fucking awesome.

Andrew1911

Quote from: Firebird on December 10, 2007, 10:14:43 PM
I've heard the movie isn't that great, but it should be noted that the books are fucking awesome.

Yeah, the movie was awful. It couldn't come close to doing a proper adaptation of the books. People should just be protesting it for being a bad movie and dragging the good name of the books through the dirt. I'd be in that boycott.

Firebird

QuoteIt couldn't come close to doing a proper adaptation of the books.

That's a shame. I mean, look at how much the fundies are protesting about it now. It would have been great to see what they would do if they hadn't cut a lot of the religious stuff.

Andrew1911

Quote from: Firebird on December 10, 2007, 10:53:15 PM
That's a shame. I mean, look at how much the fundies are protesting about it now. It would have been great to see what they would do if they hadn't cut a lot of the religious stuff.

It was just so bland without any of the religion jabs. There's not going to be a sequel since it did eh in the box office.

Go Up