May 10, 2024, 07:59:37 AM

1,531,624 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Abortion

Started by *Boo*, May 01, 2007, 07:22:16 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Socks

YPrrrr

Quote from: RDX on January 29, 2009, 07:41:04 PM
well fetuses are disgusting things

i mean theyre all slimey and ugghhhh
So is Nick Saban, but it's not legal to kill him

l a c e y

Quote from: YPR on January 30, 2009, 09:03:15 AM
So is Nick Saban, but it's not legal to kill him

yeah but he is fully developed.

YPrrrr

Quote from: Liopleurodon on January 30, 2009, 09:16:56 AM
yeah but he is fully developed.

You could put forth the argument that people aren't fully developed until they finish puberty. akudood;

l a c e y

Quote from: YPR on January 30, 2009, 09:19:01 AM
You could put forth the argument that people aren't fully developed until they finish puberty. akudood;

i mean they can function and what not on their own.

YPrrrr

Quote from: Liopleurodon on January 30, 2009, 09:21:29 AM
i mean they can function and what not on their own.

I don't think babies can really function on their own either... Younger ones have no method of propulsion and no ability to gather food or drink on their own. They are completely dependent, just as a fetus in the womb is.

l a c e y

Quote from: YPR on January 30, 2009, 09:24:35 AM
I don't think babies can really function on their own either... Younger ones have no method of propulsion and no ability to gather food or drink on their own. They are completely dependent, just as a fetus in the womb is.

THEY CAN SHIT BY THEMSELVES.
and their hearts work on their own.
and their organs ect..

YPrrrr

Quote from: Liopleurodon on January 30, 2009, 09:29:55 AM
THEY CAN SHIT BY THEMSELVES.
and their hearts work on their own.
and their organs ect..

Their organs need energy from food to function. Guess where they get their food from... mommy.

l a c e y

Quote from: YPR on January 30, 2009, 09:37:50 AM
Their organs need energy from food to function. Guess where they get their food from... mommy.

yeah and mommy get's it out of a jar from the grocery store.
their not connected to her anymore.

Socks

Lacey reminds me why we need Euthanasia.

Daddy

But the point she's making is correct.

A fetus, at least in the first 2 trimesters, is incapable of autonomously functioning. An infant may require food and care from an adult, but its functions are not a dependent on being hooked up to another human/machine.
It is not alive.

A brain dead person hooked up to life support is in the same situation: no brain function, none of the organs can function without external help, nothing.

Taking a vegetable off life support is morally the same as aborting a fetus.  It comes down to choice.  It's not morally wrong to abort it. It's not morally wrong to keep it.

A living baby would be more comparable to a quadriplegic I guess, but that analogy isn't as good.

Fetus : Brain dead : No autonomous bodily functions or brain activity
Infant : Quadriplegic:  Functioning brain and organs. Unable to take care of self.

If you're against abortion, then surely you'd have to be against pulling the plug, right? Otherwise you're a hypocrite.

Socks

Umm... a quadriplegic or a Terry S. has at least lived. Comparing a fetus, with infinite potential, to a grown adult with disabilities is absurd.

Daddy

Quote from: Socks on January 30, 2009, 12:12:58 PM
Umm... a quadriplegic or a Terry S. has at least lived.
Wouldn't that make it even more absurd to end their life? They're actually alive and you're pulling the plug.

QuoteComparing a fetus, with infinite potential, to a grown adult with disabilities is absurd.
Functionally, they're the same.

guff

Quote from: Socks on January 30, 2009, 12:12:58 PM
Umm... a quadriplegic or a Terry S. has at least lived. Comparing a fetus, with infinite potential, to a grown adult with disabilities is absurd.
yeah but if it has no higher brain functions it doesn't give a shit about its potential  akudood;

YPrrrr

Quote from: Liopleurodon on January 30, 2009, 09:54:56 AM
yeah and mommy get's it out of a jar from the grocery store.
their not connected to her anymore.

Then what is breast feeding?
Quote from: Jacques Michel Valente on January 30, 2009, 12:10:18 PM

Taking a vegetable off life support is morally the same as aborting a fetus.  It comes down to choice.  It's not morally wrong to abort it. It's not morally wrong to keep it.

I don't remember anyone ever agreeing on that akudood;

Go Up