July 03, 2024, 02:17:56 AM

1,531,274 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

bad american pronunciations of (european) loanwords

Started by Kalahari Inkantation, May 05, 2017, 04:01:43 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Kalahari Inkantation

Fun Fact,,: Prayg was the origin of the plague.

Kalahari Inkantation

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcoc_QSZshs[/youtube]

now this is truly something else

how do these people not feel like absolute retards

Kalahari Inkantation

https://forvo.com/word/university_of_notre_dame/#en

americans are truly an embarrassment

every other language represented gets it right except for us

wawi

people that always have to say the words in an accent to try and sound as authentic as possible are pretty weird too

Kalahari Inkantation

May 05, 2017, 03:21:22 PM #19 Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 03:24:59 PM by Majorana's Mask
well i agree and i would and do suppress that urge irl (much as it may playgue me) for the purpose of healthy social assimilation (lol)

but the american bastardizations still trigger me something fierce

wawi

Quote from: Majorana's Mask on May 05, 2017, 03:21:22 PM
well i agree and i would and do suppress that urge irl (much as it may playgue me) for the purpose of healthy social assimilation

but the american bastardizations still trigger me something fierce

i didnt mean trying to pronounce it correctly, that's fine. I mean the people that have put on a heavy fake accent to pronounce the words.

rdl

Quote from: wawi on May 05, 2017, 03:19:55 PM
people that always have to say the words in an accent to try and sound as authentic as possible are pretty weird too
this is how i feel and then people say im being insensitive. i can still speak some good amount of spanish, but i dont put on some cheesy mexican accent. do mexicans think "oh, this american guy doesnt intonate the way i do, hes rude"? no of course not.

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: ADX on May 05, 2017, 03:33:47 PM
Quote from: wawi on May 05, 2017, 03:19:55 PM
this is how i feel and then people say im being insensitive. i can still speak some good amount of spanish, but i dont put on some cheesy mexican accent. do mexicans think "oh, this american guy doesnt intonate the way i do, hes rude"? no of course not.

if i had to guess, foreigners probably find americans speaking their native language in a patternistic american accent to be kind of cute and respectful of their local culture

i mean, there is a reason we all find accented english speech to be endearing

but the dumb tryhard who speaks bad [foreign language x] with an aggressively caricatured accent just sounds insulting

Samus Aran

Quote from: YPargh on May 05, 2017, 10:58:28 AM
Jalapeño - Jalapeeno or Halapeeno vs hala-pen-nyo

this is a curse of living in the north. i've not met a single person up here who can pronounce this correctly.

Kalahari Inkantation

Samus Aran

Kalahari Inkantation

Samus Aran

Quote from: Majorana's Mask on May 06, 2017, 12:51:26 AM
thank gaude

do you get weird looks for that

no? i can't say i can recall the last time i would have said it aloud though. but i thought it was the general consensus that it was pronounced that way?

Kalahari Inkantation

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Shinobu Oshino on May 06, 2017, 12:55:44 AM
Quote from: Majorana's Mask on May 06, 2017, 12:51:26 AM
thank gaude

do you get weird looks for that

no? i can't say i can recall the last time i would have said it aloud though. but i thought it was the general consensus that it was pronounced that way?

Quote from: Majorana's Mask on May 03, 2017, 09:55:46 PM

also that reminds me

i'm gonna make you guys scream

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Prague,_Minnesota

QuoteNew Prague /ˈnjuː ˈpreɪɡ/ NEW PRAYG[5]

Go Up